Model Cars Magazine Forum

$90 display case with add'l glass shelves

Bills72sj

Now that I am building again, I wanted a safe place to display my models away from our cat and future toddlers. I do not have that many models built (yet) but I started looking on Craigslist and found this beauty for $90. It is wide enough to accomodate the length of a built semi truck rig and deep enough for two side by side. It presently has 4 glass shelves but I added 4 more for only $53 including shipping. It has a light in the top and a mirrored back panel. My wife resisted at first but since I make the house payments, is it too much to ask to control more than two walls in one room vs. her control of the entire house? Now I have more space than completed builds. I better get to it! Here is a pic taken before I finished my 4 Chevelles.

IMG_0857.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

Nice glass case, In this economy keep an eye out for store closings as they will be selling the fixtures to gain some cash. Drug stores have fine pharmaceutical shelving that fit models well. I have acquired shelving from a drug store chain, WalMart, Bed Bath & Beyond,a gunsmith, and even a school library.

P1020778-Copy.JPG.4e1fd4b7afcdb2faf11f442531500252.JPG

Drug store shelving

vlcsnap-2024-01-22-16h07m54s475.png.8490aaaae3f3cb01cedd5cfe3f5ee9f2.png

Display case when WalMart remodeled jewelry department.

greg

10 hours ago, TonyW said:

That is just outstanding! 

The overhead shot would make a good poster.

Tony.

Thank you, Tony. It would make a good 1000 piece puzzle too.

10 hours ago, Gary Chastain said:

Really nice, I need to find a cabinet like that. 

Thank you, Gary. Look on Craigslist, or thrift stores that sell furniture. Also swing by estate sales.

9 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Nice collection too

Thank you, David. It has been decades in the making.

7 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Nice glass case, In this economy keep an eye out for store closings as they will be selling the fixtures to gain some cash. Drug stores have fine pharmaceutical shelving that fit models well. I have acquired shelving from a drug store chain, WalMart, Bed Bath & Beyond,a gunsmith, and even a school library.

greg

Thanks for sharing Greg. I have met folks online that have acquired store fixtures like that. My house is too small and still primarily decorated by my wifeI do not have any room to add any more display cases.

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Nice display case!  I have a repurposed china cabinet, and I also added a shelf between each of the original ones.  In mine, each shelf is actually 3 pieces of glass, so I bought 9 pieces of glass. Not cheap!

Thank you, Tom. I was lucky to find additional glass shelves cheap.