Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photobucket question

Monty

I've noticed that most model pics hosted by Photobucket are blurry and the Photobucket logo is fairly prominent, often covering a good portion of the subject matter.  

Since most people seem to be able to take acceptable pictures with phones or actual cameras, I have to assume it's the host causing the problem.  If memory serves, p/b caused a furor a number of years ago when they jacked up their price, which I think backfired.  Are these bleary pictures their way of trying to get people off their free hosting and pay for better pictures?

Kinda sad to see so many nice reference pictures ruined... 

Edited by Monty

55 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Basically, that's it.

If you didn't pay their "extortion" money, they held your photos hostage.

There's really no nicer, or more accurate way to put it than that.

Steve

Bingo! PB has really been screwing over thousands of folks with their extortion attempt, watermarked images and now this blurry nonsense. I moved all of my stuff to ImageShack and haven't looked back, and would highly advise others to do the same.

3 hours ago, Monty said:

I've noticed that most model pics hosted by Photobucket are blurry and the Photobucket logo is fairly prominent, often covering a good portion of the subject matter.  

Since most people seem to be able to take acceptable pictures with phones or actual cameras, I have to assume it's the host causing the problem.  If memory serves, p/b caused a furor a number of years ago when they jacked up their price, which I think backfired.  Are these bleary pictures their way of trying to get people off their free hosting and pay for better pictures?

Kinda sad to see so many nice reference pictures ruined... 

Yes, it is sad that so many references are ruined.  During the PB disaster this hosting site opened up a large storage area for members to upload their photos and store them here locally. That way, for as long as this forum is online, so will be the photos attached to the posts.

Some members are even willing to go back and edit their old posts, and replace the broken photos with ones uploaded locally, but unfortunately that is not possible:  the ability to edit posts is only enabled for a short time (like a day or two). So old posts cannot be refreshed.

2 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

I cannot believe ANYBODY would still want to use Photobucket !

Did we learn NOTHING from their attempt to hold our picture's hostage ???

Don't give them the chance to do it again.

Postimages.org    is FREE. and easy to use

I wouldn't trust any free hosting site anymore (especially since I can upload images directly to this forum).

The Imageshack was first - it was free until they wanted payment or delete the images (way before Photobucket did that).  So I let them delete my stuff and moved to what was recommended by forum members at that time . . . Photobucket.  Then they pulled the same stunt.  No thanks - I'm all set!

While I have local (and backed up) copy of all my images, it is a pain (or impossible) to re-link the images in my older post to whatever new "free" site I upload my photos again.  But uploaded here, the images will be around for as long as the forum is up.