Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building my first car. 66 Malibu 4D

Dave72

Finally getting around to building my first car. A 1966 Malibu 4D that was given to me by my Grandma. Working on the door lines, and reshaping the side and back window openings. Using the Lindbergh 66 Chevelle SS. Fun so far! Got the steel wheels and hubcaps in the other day. First pic is what it would look like only with two more doors. Got the styrene ordered for the B pillars and window frames. 

B50FD233-1EFF-470D-BFD6-74F6EF8FF90E.jpeg

7F0188D6-34C5-41F5-9439-ACE5472B151D.jpeg

26E35833-3869-44EB-BD67-8F4AED158F32.jpeg

96E185AE-079B-4A36-971A-2088C3FE8640.jpeg

Thanks guys. Yes, that is what my car had as well Bill. 230 straight six. I have a straight six 50's era, but am looking for a 60's era. I know GM had made some changes to the six between that time. Any suggestions on where to get a 60's correct six?

2 hours ago, Dave72 said:

Thanks guys. Yes, that is what my car had as well Bill. 230 straight six. I have a straight six 50's era, but am looking for a 60's era. I know GM had made some changes to the six between that time. Any suggestions on where to get a 60's correct six?

I think one of the Revell '65 or '64 Chevrolet pick ups has a 6 cylinder engine. The old Trumpster Chevy II had one also.  

4 minutes ago, espo said:

I think one of the Revell '65 or '64 Chevrolet pick ups has a 6 cylinder engine. The old Trumpster Chevy II had one also.  

The Revell pickups have V8s, the AMT '60 Chevy pickup has a 6, but that's an older design. 

Edited by Rob Hall

5 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The Revell pickups have V8s, the AMT '60 Chevy pickup has a 6, but that's an older design. 

You're correct. I'm playing with a '60 Pickup right now and I didn't think about the engine being the incorrect year model or design even.  

9 hours ago, Dave72 said:

I'm sorry about the incorrect information I gave you on the engine. Chevrolet started offering the 230 cu.in. 6 Cylinder on the '63 year models followed by the 250 cu.in. 6 Cylinder in '65. I think Rod Halls suggestion of the resin 6 Cylinder for only $10 looks like the best way to go. This would be both cheaper than buying a kit to raid for the engine and the picture on the Web Site looks pretty accurate to me. 

I just bought one from MCW finishes. Yes, that one looked the best. 

WOW TOM! Exactly what I’m shooting for. Your build looks awesome!!!!! You set the bar very high! How did you do the window frames so well? Do you have more pics of your build? A link maybe?  Man that’s cool. 

Nice project build. One day I plan to build a 67 4dr sedan . I'm going to use the 66 wagon for the doors section  , 67 HT for the front cap and rear clip and the roof and backglass  from the 65.

The newer style 194ci 6 cyl replaced the older 50s era 216/ 235ci 6 cyl around 1962 .Displacement was bumped up to 230ci in 64 and then 250ci in 67. If I remember right.

Edited by Rotorbolt73

18 hours ago, Rotorbolt73 said:

Nice project build. One day I plan to build a 67 4dr sedan . I'm going to use the 66 wagon for the doors section  , 67 HT for the front cap and rear clip and the roof and backglass  from the 65.

The newer style 194ci 6 cyl replaced the older 50s era 216/ 235ci 6 cyl around 1962 .Displacement was bumped up to 230ci in 64 and then 250ci in 67. If I remember right.

My plan was to use the back half of the roof from the 65 as well.   The only difference I can see is the 66 had slightly more curve at the top back corner of the window.

2 hours ago, Steamboat said:

My plan was to use the back half of the roof from the 65 as well.   The only difference I can see is the 66 had slightly more curve at the top back corner of the window.

It's close enough . Another consideration is the roof and rear glass from the AMT 65 GTO. It's already a separate piece and pretty much the same as a Chevelle . 

On 2/19/2020 at 9:17 PM, Dave72 said:

I just bought one from MCW finishes. Yes, that one looked the best. 

WOW TOM! Exactly what I’m shooting for. Your build looks awesome!!!!! You set the bar very high! How did you do the window frames so well? Do you have more pics of your build? A link maybe?  Man that’s cool. 

If I understand your question correctly, the window frames on the side windows are part of the wagon kit.

• 9 months later...

Well finally got back to working on this build. I figured out a way to scratch build the window frames. I cut and fitted an piece of styrene over the whole window area. Then cut out the majority of the center and painstakingly filed the frame to the desired thickness. Long process but worth it in my opinion.  Got a little work done on that straight six too. 

CD839C69-F0D1-4FB7-8597-ABD44FF0B372.jpeg

1D4E6922-A111-424E-8876-EC47F8F97ADC.jpeg

8 hours ago, espo said:

Your upper door frames look perfect. Nice looking engine. 

Thank you!  A long process but I think it’s worth it. Now to remove the rocker trim and put on the drip rail. Just got the stock stock steel rims and hubcaps from Fireball Resin. Their stuff is fantastic! 

• 2 weeks later...

I am thick sometimes. I thought "This fellow is awfully good for someone who has never built a model car before!" Then I realised that you're building a model of the first car you owned! How stupid of me! 

It's looking great, that method you devised for the window frames is genius! Great to see the straight six going together too. 

4 hours ago, Rockford said:

I am thick sometimes. I thought "This fellow is awfully good for someone who has never built a model car before!" Then I realised that you're building a model of the first car you owned! How stupid of me! 

It's looking great, that method you devised for the window frames is genius! Great to see the straight six going together too. 

Lol! Nope, been doing this a long time and love it!  I credit the people on forums like this that you can learn these techniques from. That and just coming up with an idea and saying “let’er rip!” Thank you very much for the compliments. Much appreciated.