Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Don Nicholson Ford Maverick Pro Stock

9 minutes ago, mvadrag said:

Outstanding!  I can see why you commented on the headers.  That big engine really makes fitting headers around the front suspension very tricky (on real cars and maybe harder on your model).

mvadrag,

Oh, those headers. I was looking at my reference photos of this car, and also of other Mavericks carrying the SOHC. BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, they had primary tubes running all over the place! On one car the last primary came out from the inner fender well, and then down around to meet up with the collector. I could do it but, not without leaving some type of seam. There was one shot of Dyno's car doing a burnout showing all the primary tubes coming around the front of the engine, and then down around the front suspension. Now, that I can do without leaving any seems. There's a ton of scratch built parts on the car. Wheelie casters are scratch built, and are adjustable to either raise or lower. Right now, they're in the neutral position. the carbs and intake are also scratch built along with the shifter.

I think I have a shot of the engine out of the car with the headers white glued to the engine just for the shot.

Take care,

Guy

Mav build engine so far 2.jpg

Amazing build! A lot of attention to the details. This Maverick is simply fantastic and you are a seriously good builder. I do love those Maverick and all the small body cars with big block engines. I think that was the best era for Pro Stock cars. I will check back for your other builds,

Cheers, Francis

23 hours ago, gonzo64nova said:

Top notch work on the Maverick Guy! I love the subtle weathering and the headers,clutch fork and vertigate shifter. What are the headers made out of? The paint and decals are also top notch!

gonzo64nova,

The headers which I usually do my own, IE Sox & Martin 'Cuda,  Lil' Coffin seen at the Under Glass department of this forum, this one, and a host of others are made with Evergreen plastic. The rod size depends on the size of the primary tubes I need to make. Usually it's either .080" or .100".  The smaller diameter for say a small block Chevy would be 1/16" rod. The rod is heated over a candle, and then bent to the desired radius, and then cut to length. Sorta like stacking bricks. One section at a time glued together. Once the headers are together, along with the collector, they're sanded  as a unit. By the way, the collectors are from the Johan Sox & Martin '71 'Cuda. Nice collectors. Let's admit it, the headers in model kits are kinda bogus!

Hoped this answered your question!

Guy

On 3/3/2020 at 7:18 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Amazing build! A lot of attention to the details. This Maverick is simply fantastic and you are a seriously good builder. I do love those Maverick and all the small body cars with big block engines. I think that was the best era for Pro Stock cars. I will check back for your other builds,

Cheers, Francis

AmericanMuscleFan,

Thank you for the kind words!

Guy

4 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Sir!

Wow... World-class built. Bravo!

Your gaps around the doors is ultra-precise, and you obviously have a PhD in headers. Not only is their nature complicated, but I can relate to the chore of shoehorning them in the chassis.

Hours of fun, I guess...

CT

Claude Thibodeau,

In order to install the headers, (like a lot of the 1:1 scale Fords), the headers were first dropped into the engine compartment loose. The engine and trans was dropped in. The motor mounts were then connected to the engine via pins. Once the engine was settled in, the headers were brought up to the cylinder heads. Took a bit but, we got it! Due to the angle of the engine, once the engine was in place, the intake with the carbs was installed. THEN I did the wiring. It's a first for me but, had no other choice due to confinements.

In all, I believe this car took a little over a year to complete.

Thanks, Guy

On 3/3/2020 at 4:27 PM, Guy Beaudette said:

mvadrag,

Oh, those headers. I was looking at my reference photos of this car, and also of other Mavericks carrying the SOHC. BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, they had primary tubes running all over the place! On one car the last primary came out from the inner fender well, and then down around to meet up with the collector. I could do it but, not without leaving some type of seam. There was one shot of Dyno's car doing a burnout showing all the primary tubes coming around the front of the engine, and then down around the front suspension. Now, that I can do without leaving any seems. There's a ton of scratch built parts on the car. Wheelie casters are scratch built, and are adjustable to either raise or lower. Right now, they're in the neutral position. the carbs and intake are also scratch built along with the shifter.

I think I have a shot of the engine out of the car with the headers white glued to the engine just for the shot.

Take care,

Guy

Mav build engine so far 2.jpg

God love it man you should do a how too on how you made that shifter