Model Cars Magazine Forum

Luftwagen

David G.

I finally finished this one! From the front, I think it does have more of a hot rod look than that of a Volksie.

Karma_Bug73.jpg.36d078eb1b986ca372a26a5641ecec3c.jpg

What started as a quick parts box build ended up taking about 84 hours to complete. Second only to my '58 Chevy Proton in total time.

Karma_Bug74.jpg.adb013bd4596497f4808b0f952a4020c.jpg

I think the lines flow well enough considering that this is a blending of three different vehicles in three different scales.Karma_Bug75.jpg.4d3b477341caa145ee22562b9ba1f7a1.jpg

During the build, I received a number of comments informing me that the blades of the prop are the wrong way about and should be flipped over. Unfortunately, I became aware of this after they were already glued in place and correcting the matter would have likely damaged or destroyed them. I had already imagined that the engine would run in reverse turning the prop in the opposite direction and most props have variable pitch. This obviously isn't one of those builds that should be taken too seriously, think of it like a Zinger or an Ed Roth cartoon brought to life.

Karma_Bug76.jpg.b81fed1d5b2d6a1a999522ae3c5320af.jpg

The stock VW right tail light wouldn't fit properly on the fender due to a cut-out for a vent port on the engine so I improvised a solution using an old style '32 Ford tail light. Which also gave me a place to mount the "LUFTWAGEN" vanity plate.

Karma_Bug77.jpg.9146a7ed71f3d9944d5b3f7cc23079dd.jpg

The air scoops came with the Revell VW kit and I used them because they seemed to fit the overall theme of the car very well. I also built air ducts inside the car that feed the scooped air to help cool the aircraft engine. I've had some real VW's that could have benefited from a setup like this. You'll also notice the traditional VW swing axle camber.
Karma_Bug78.jpg.5412b061a3bd1acc025fbc30cd4e9954.jpg

The decals are from a WWII era Junkers Ju 87 and the engine is from a Focke_Wulf Ta 154 Moskito, also WWII era, and the nose is from a 1937 Cord.
Karma_Bug79.jpg.699d00756e830b20519d207c8c4b6d22.jpg

I built the headlights from a couple of torpedoes from a torpedo bomber.
Karma_Bug82.jpg.4b71bf33d39b93a308f27e9cf61272d1.jpg

View from the top.
Karma_Bug83.jpg.4da430bd51fd42486e85c9dac51d63ab.jpg

Thanks to everyone who followed along on my build thread and offered tips and encouragement.
As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to share your thoughts.
David G.

Karma_Bug81.jpg

I enjoyed watching your build progress until finished. This is a very interesting build and how everything came together in the finished build. I'd love to have that propeller on the back of my 1:1 car for some of the tailgaters around here. 

21 hours ago, LouO said:

That's pretty cool - I like it! Can't decide if a 1:1 would be fun or scary! LOL

A little of both I think. As this one came together, I imagined a 1:1 version of this as a Sunday drag strip half-time expo. "Sunday! Howland Drag Raceway! Come see the Luftwagen make its seven second run! It's a car! It's a plane! It's a blast!"

18 hours ago, cobraman said:

That's wild !

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

18 hours ago, espo said:

I enjoyed watching your build progress until finished. This is a very interesting build and how everything came together in the finished build. I'd love to have that propeller on the back of my 1:1 car for some of the tailgaters around here. 

Thank you. Yeah, it's be fun to watch their expression in the rear view mirror when you crank that puppy up! :D

David G.

21 hours ago, slusher said:

Different and neat build!!

21 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very cool, well done!

11 hours ago, Hermann Kersten said:

Beautiful pictures of a nice and a special project!

Hermann

8 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Very unique, I like it!

2 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Cool!

Thank you all for your kind comments. I truly appreciate them

David G.