Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Model Kits of MPC

Several of these have been reissued thru the years. I have one of the Grumpy's Vega kit still in the box along with the 70 Pontiac that could be made into a pickup and the Monte Carlo Stock Car kit. That is being reissued right now by round 2.  There're several others that I would like to have if they ever reissue them. A big part of the problem could be if the complete molds even still exists and the condition of them.    

Just now, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yes it is.

No way would I trust my thousand-hour build to a record player crossed with a slingshot ?

I’d be curious to build one and get it working nice...but I’d be nervous to put anything on it ?

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's quite a stack of stuff!

I'm sure that this was in no way a complete catalog of what MPC has produced over the years, but I did notice a few notable omissions that I happen to have in my collection.

image.png.d3596ed6d37111d74df5e4decd6a00bb.png

image.png.8b0c29781e8f48cc3704e307de78cd6b.png

image.png.81fddf7d21fe2c1caf2c759bd2b8f6f0.png

Steve

I would say they are in great hands who builds beautiful models...

15 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's quite a stack of stuff!

I'm sure that this was in no way a complete catalog of what MPC has produced over the years, but I did notice a few notable omissions that I happen to have in my collection.

image.png.d3596ed6d37111d74df5e4decd6a00bb.png

image.png.8b0c29781e8f48cc3704e307de78cd6b.png

image.png.81fddf7d21fe2c1caf2c759bd2b8f6f0.png

Steve

Should you lose interest in that '66 Bonneville I may have something you would rather have to trade. 

On 4/2/2020 at 4:09 PM, Johnt671 said:

I'm close to finishing this one.

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

While a number of car guys I talk to don't care too much for the first generation Chargers, I certainly do and had a friend back in the 60's that had one as well. I did the model your working on when it was first released and finished it back in the early 80's and still have it. I wouldn't mind doing another one, however I already have LOTS to build. Very nice job on your build John as I just love dem B-body Mopars!

16 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Dazzle me! ;)

Steve

Well Steve, What other sorts of kits hold an interest to you ? I have several Revell and AMT kits going back many years. I have a few based on Import vehicles, but for the most part mine are US vehicles. I have a few pickups, Corvettes and a couple of NASCAR. Many are still sealed so there shouldn't be any missing parts. Send me a list of your interests and I'll see if I have it.    

2 hours ago, espo said:

Well Steve, What other sorts of kits hold an interest to you ? I have several Revell and AMT kits going back many years. I have a few based on Import vehicles, but for the most part mine are US vehicles. I have a few pickups, Corvettes and a couple of NASCAR. Many are still sealed so there shouldn't be any missing parts. Send me a list of your interests and I'll see if I have it.    

To be honest, it will take a pretty "hefty" trade to pry the '66 Bonneville out of my hands David.

The kit is pristine for all intensive purposes and has even had the head lights drilled out and all of the chrome parts re-plated.

There are only a very few that I would even consider as a trade, and they are all quite rare.

Off of the top of my head I can only think of a couple of possibilities at the moment.

An MPC 1971 Dodge Demon, and possibly an AMT 1966 Buick Skylark GS.

Th Demon would just need to be restorable, but the Skylark would have to be in comparable condition to the Bonneville.

These might sound like unfair trades, but there's really little else that I can think of that I would consider.

As I'm sure you are aware, the MPC '66 kit is not getting any easier to find. ;)

Steve

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

To be honest, it will take a pretty "hefty" trade to pry the '66 Bonneville out of my hands David.

The kit is pristine for all intensive purposes and has even had the head lights drilled out and all of the chrome parts re-plated.

There are only a very few that I would even consider as a trade, and they are all quite rare.

Off of the top of my head I can only think of a couple of possibilities at the moment.

Th Demon would just need to be restorable, but the Skylark would have to be in comparable condition to the Bonneville.

These might sound like unfair trades, but there's really little else that I can think of that I would consider.

As I'm sure you are aware, the MPC '66 kit is not getting any easier to find. ;)

Steve

Steve, I completely understand, Sounds like you have a similar appreciation for the '66 Pontiac as I do. I'll take a look and see if I have the Demon, but I think not. I don't  have many Buick kits but I'll check that also. I'll let you know either way as to what I may have. 

On 4/2/2020 at 7:04 AM, jchrisf said:

It's a couple years old but just saw this this morning.  Pretty cool

This video is a great trip down memory lane. I'm wondering if they aimed it at us older folk? There were a few kits they showed us more than once. They must think we're getting forgetful in our old age? ? 

I loved it. It was a very fun video to watch. I'm amazed how many of those kits I had over the years. Or saw and lusted for on the shelves of hobby and department stores, and in Auto World's catalogs of the time. Like I said, a great trip down memory lane. 

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

This video is a great trip down memory lane. I'm wondering if they aimed it at us older folk? There were a few kits they showed us more than once. They must think we're getting forgetful in our old age? ? 

I loved it. It was a very fun video to watch. I'm amazed how many of those kits I had over the years. Or saw and lusted for on the shelves of hobby and department stores, and in Auto World's catalogs of the time. Like I said, a great trip down memory lane. 

Thanks.. I found another guy that has similar videos in the same genre.  If you go to his channel he has a few more

10 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Thanks.. I found another guy that has similar videos in the same genre.  If you go to his channel he has a few more

Yea, I've seen his videos too. Their is another thread here, linking to one of his other videos. These are very good too. But, the focus is more on the history of the companies, rather than just models themselves. And they do talk about kits other than cars. Which is okay with me. They are very good videos, and I recommend them. 

Here's another rare version of the MPC '67 Charger:  the hideous (IMO) customized Charger from the 1967 movie "Thunder Alley."  Complete with "psychedelic car art decal."  And if that wasn't ugly enough, a bottle of paint and brush so you could create your own psychedelic paint job, after you had sniffed enough glue.

MPC's 1966 movie tie-in kit is much better known to us. That was the "Fireball 500" Barracuda, used in the movie of the same name.

ThunderCharger2.jpg

ThunderCharger.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

On 4/4/2020 at 12:17 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Steve, I dug thru some of my older kits and had no luck finding what you need. I did find one or two that I'm thinking of moving up toward the front of the line. Please post pictures of the Pontiac when you build it.