Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2010 Ford Mustang GT

polybius

This kit arrived in a box lot of open kits that I bought for parts.  After looking it over, despite almost everything including the body covered in a gloppy gloss black of some kind, the parts seemed to be complete and I gave a thought to trying to strip it all down and give it a build.  Whatever black paint had been used was etched into the plastic especially on the body.  After a few days in a brake fluid bath, and then after carefully sanding down the remnants, it was ready for several coats of primer and more sanding.  The rest of the parts were stripped, repainted, and assembled.  Only the oil fill cap and master cylinder reservoir turned out to be missing, but they were easy enough to scratchbuild and the rest is history.  

For a relatively new Revell tooling it was mostly a breeze to assemble.  Fitment was very good for most parts, and the clear glass and lenses were surprisingly crisp.  Since initially I wasn't sure if it was even salvageable or whether the paint might react with whatever had been hosed on, I used some leftover DupliColor Stellar Blue Pearl that was remotely similar to the deep blue available on the '10 GT.  After some lacquer clearcoat, sanding, and polishing, it worked out just fine.  The interior received some dark charcoal grey, aluminum trim, and black embossing powder for carpet.  Of all the wheels in '10 the units included in the kit are my least favorite but after stripping the chrome, spraying some graphite, and dry-brushing the machined aluminum trim they worked out well and seem to suit its character.  Since I was aiming for a stock GT the kit's stripes were not used.  

This kit offers some nice touches and refinements that are leaps and bounds ahead of the toolings of yore.  I had a few of these in my stash some time ago but never opened them and ended up getting rid of them, but when an open box or orphaned kit comes my way it's often a good enough reason to build it.  

IMG_9728-1R.jpg

IMG_9737-1R.jpg

IMG_9738-1R.jpg

IMG_9708-1R.jpg

IMG_9726-1R.png

IMG_9754-1R.jpg

IMG_9772-1R.jpg

Thank you everyone for the kind comments, much appreciated!  After finishing this one up I regretted getting rid of the other late-model Revell Mustang kits I had a while back.  In the meantime and while I seem to have Mustangs on the mind, an '89 GT convertible in rare dove grey with red interior is on the bench now.  Thanks again for the encouragement!