Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Nova Road Race Car

This looks interesting. I had a '72 Nova SS and always liked that car. Many still don't realize the 1:1 is pretty much a Camaro under the skin. Great looking Flares, what sort of rear spoiler do they offer ?  

25 minutes ago, espo said:

This looks interesting. I had a '72 Nova SS and always liked that car. Many still don't realize the 1:1 is pretty much a Camaro under the skin. Great looking Flares, what sort of rear spoiler do they offer ?  

No rear spoiler, I am using the rear wing from a Corvette CR5

5 hours ago, espo said:

I always wondered why they never used the 68-72 nova platform for trans- am style racing. Yes, the Nova shares a lot of components with the Camaro. I had a 1:1 69 nova, and a pretty good parts interchange manual.

19 hours ago, bismarck said:

I always wondered why they never used the 68-72 nova platform for trans- am style racing. Yes, the Nova shares a lot of components with the Camaro. I had a 1:1 69 nova, and a pretty good parts interchange manual.

I think there were a few reasons not the least of wish was to promote the Camaro and the Z-28 package that came about just so that they could meet the engine requirements. The Nova was promoted as more of an inexpensive transportation vehicle. As a past owner you realize just how good of a car it was and the insurance companies had their heads in the sand at the time as to their potential. This was one of the motivational reasons for my purchase since insurance payments and car payments were becoming equal for myself.  The possibilities of what could have been is one of the reasons I look forward to following Howards build here. 

Edited by espo

A little more progress on the Nova...I did some work to make the wheels and tires fit under the body, using resin 63 Corvette Magnesium wheels from Historic Racing Miniatures; used the stock rear bumper and tail panel from the kit with the chrome removed, removed all the SS trim and logos; added the rear wing from the Corvette C5R. I made a roll cage for the interior and using a racing seat from the parts box. I have some filling to do on the flares and then a coat of primer. 

IMG_3799[1].JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...