Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vallejo Model Color acrylic paints -- semi-gloss black?

Hi -  I had heard that the Vallejo Model Color paints are better for brushing than the Tamiya X acrylics and I'd like to give them a try.

But navigating their color chart is a bit overwhelming.   I'm just looking for "semi-gloss black"  -- but I don't see it in the endless colors they have.   

Am I missing it ?

Thanks

Just now, Goodwrench3 said:

Yes I saw that one in their chart --  but I'm looking for a satin or semi-gloss black.  That doesn't seem to be a concept in their colors   ??

Oh I see..... I only saw Black and Glossy Black.... no other blacks ! ( assuming Black is Matt Black ? )

David

Yeah I don't know.

So if you want a satin or semi-gloss finish with the Vallejo Model Color acrylics, what do you do  ?   I.e. something between a flat and gloss finish  ?

In the Tamiya and Testors/Model Master paints they have a "semi-gloss", a "gloss", and a "flat" version of many of the colors.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

Mix the gloss and flat together for any number of different levels of gloss.

OK -- so in their color names, if it doesn't say "glossy", then assume it is a flat color  ?   

Also --  from what I've read, these brush well right out of the bottle -- no thinning needed   ?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Goodwrench3 said:

OK -- so in their color names, if it doesn't say "glossy", then assume it is a flat color  ?   

Also --  from what I've read, these brush well right out of the bottle -- no thinning needed   ?

Thanks

IDK, it was just a suggestion I've used with other paints.

Their brush paint black is a flat sheen. Their model air color black is more of a semi gloss. 

You could try mixing the flat with the glossy black colors and see what you get. Or flat black and use their semi gloss varnish over top of that. I would water that down to ensure minimal brush strokes though.

1 hour ago, DiscoRover007 said:

Their brush paint black is a flat sheen. Their model air color black is more of a semi gloss. 

You could try mixing the flat with the glossy black colors and see what you get. Or flat black and use their semi gloss varnish over top of that. I would water that down to ensure minimal brush strokes though.

Thanks for that tip about the model air black.

I guess right now it's kind of all academic since the online place I checked is out of stock on most of the  Vallejo black paints   ?

1 hour ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Thanks for that tip about the model air black.

I guess right now it's kind of all academic since the online place I checked is out of stock on most of the  Vallejo black paints   ?

Model Air black is my go to semi gloss black for airbrushing. I had mix results brush painting it though. Its very thin and lacks an opaque body. It might be effective if you mix it with the regular brush line vallejo negro black.

Edited by DiscoRover007

I’ve switched to Vallejo paints and I don’t even look at the Tamiya acrylics anymore, for brushing. I have both the “air” and their regular acrylics. The air is a time saver, as you won’t have to mix it with any water, as you would with their thicker non air bottles. The Vallejo Air Black is a perfect semi gloss, right out of the bottle. The under hood of this Ford is brush painted with it. No brush strokes whatsoever. Might need to do a second coat, but it also cleans up with water if you make a mistake. 

149C8156-B6DE-4E5C-B791-D1A395E07DB2.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

I’ve switched to Vallejo paints and I don’t even look at the Tamiya acrylics anymore, for brushing. I have both the “air” and their regular acrylics. The air is a time saver, as you won’t have to mix it with any water, as you would with their thicker non air bottles. The Vallejo Air Black is a perfect semi gloss, right out of the bottle. The under hood of this Ford is brush painted with it. No brush strokes whatsoever. Might need to do a second coat, but it also cleans up with water if you make a mistake. 

149C8156-B6DE-4E5C-B791-D1A395E07DB2.jpeg

Super -- good info !

Are you brushing it on bare plastic  ?    Or are you using their brush primer first  ?

I had assumed that the Vallejo Model Color acrylics were ready to brush right out of the bottle -- thanks for that info about needing to thin them !   Typically how much are you thinning them for brushing  ?

Thanks again !

Thanks. It was brushed on over the blue paint that the car was painted. I never tried it on bare plastic. I’m sure primer or paint would be better than bare plastic. I never mixed water with ANY of the “air” paints. If you use the regular Vallejo paints, a mix of 50/50 makes it too thin IMO. You’d really have to experiment to your liking. That’s why I use the Air paints exclusively. 

One point I forgot.... shake the bottles well. When you think it’s good enough, shake it some more. That’s pretty much it. I love these paints. Most of my Tamiya bottles I can’t even get the lids off of anymore from lack of use. 

Edited by Brutalform

I’ve been using Vallejo for interior work as I prefer to brush on rather than intricate masking. My go to for black is German Grey and Grey Primer (see photo for number) for contrast. I have found the paint flows on Tamiya primer very well, though multiple coats are required to achieve the textured sheen of scale upholstery. I also tested one of the new metallics on brushing it on bare white plastic and it appears to be quite a durable finish.
Cheers Misha

D193FF6E-EDC9-405D-885F-9A5B7846BB3C.jpeg

0C9F3A35-98EC-4D20-9B8B-A10CF6641EA2.jpeg