Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Superbird Build Ideas Wanted

5 minutes ago, espo said:

I was watching a program last night on the Motor Trend or Hot Rod channel depending on what they're calling them selves this week. This was an adventure with Finnigan and they were doing hot laps on a dirt clay track with the old Road KIll Monte Carlo on a NASCAR chassis and a Dodge Charger, a '68 I think, that was built as a race car but never got to the track. They had some how gotten the Charger  licensed and they were running against each other. The Charger didn't have the wing and the front end didn't have the nose cone but was sort of a home grown wire mesh tube bumper affair. The interior was gutted with two serviceable seats but everything else was race car all the way. Just an idea or maybe use parts of it. 

I like the gutted interior part. Was kinda thinking of going that way, everything just painted light gloss gray. Couple seats, roll cage, fire extinguisher. B)

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I like the gutted interior part. Was kinda thinking of going that way, everything just painted light gloss gray. Couple seats, roll cage, fire extinguisher. B)

This car had plenty of patina inside and out. You should try and see if they have a rerun so you can get a better idea of what it looks like. I thought it was kinda cool as it sat so low that the bell housing was actually dragging at times. Lots of sparks and dust. I just can't believe these guys are getting paid for this stuff. Where did I go wrong in life ? 

16 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

If you run across the bumper, I could use it, but don't do to any great trouble finding it. I can get by. 

I've pretty much decided to NOT use a Superbird wing, so don't worry about that at all. 

I appreciate the assist! B)

I will look around this weekend .

Just to confirm this is a Johan body correct ?

13 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

I will look around this weekend .

Just to confirm this is a Johan body correct ?

Yes, JoHan 1/25. 

Please don't go to any special trouble, but if you just happen to run across it...B)

Take about three  1/2inch vertical sections out of the body, then 1 horizontal pie wedge added to the quarters, hog out the rear wheel openings, and you've gone all Tom Daniel on it. SuperBored, baby!

32 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Take about three  1/2inch vertical sections out of the body, then 1 horizontal pie wedge added to the quarters, hog out the rear wheel openings, and you've gone all Tom Daniel on it. SuperBored, baby!

You do one and I'll see if I like it. :lol:

4 minutes ago, michelle said:

it maybe a charger concept called dodge super charger  but you could adapt it to the superbird 

1969_Supercharger1.jpg

4956291-superchargercolor2.jpg

3335010625_fdb7253773.jpg

dodge_super_charger_concept_car.jpg

Pretty slick! I'm actually planning to do something very similar to that using the Fireball 500 '66 Barracuda body and the phantom Superbird nose from the MPC '71-'72 Road Runner. B)

I kinda like that wing, though....

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Pretty slick! I'm actually planning to do something very similar to that using the Fireball 500 '66 Barracuda body and the phantom Superbird nose from the MPC '71-'72 Road Runner. B)

I kinda like that wing, though....

can't wait to see it 

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You do one and I'll see if I like it. :lol:

Right!? That's what you get when you ask for others' ideas!  I need to correct, though, I said Ton Daniel, but I was thinking Dave Deal. Love 'em both.