Model Cars Magazine Forum

JoHan Petty Superbird

sflam123

I received this kit as a gift MANY years ago.  It had sat in my "to do" pile until this pandemic hit and I decided to build it.  Diving in to it, I unfortunately discovered that the drivers side wing support was missing from the kit.  I placed an appeal on the "Parts Needed" part of the forums and thankfully two members responded.  Hakan "Force" Persson had a part that he shipped out and rescued me, and I am very thankful and eternally grateful for his kindness and generosity!!

As has been stated by others before, this is not a very accurate representation of a NASCAR stock car of that era, but with care, it builds up in to a reasonable shelf model.  Paint is Tamiya TS23, as well as appropriate  Testor's metalizers on the engine and exhaust.  Decals are a combination of the original 50 year old decals and a set of Powerslide decals from Mike's Decals.  I hope you all enjoy looking.  Comments welcome!  Again, THANK YOU to Hakan "Force" Persson for his help!

E3514446-D267-4879-A17D-34780CA5E6BB_1_201_a.jpeg

F3CCE61F-BDFA-4CE5-85BC-DD75302DC118_1_201_a.jpeg

F45F9A8B-D4E2-4579-88AD-9E369BE8573B_1_201_a.jpeg

4FDA10E1-2477-4AB0-A344-37AB5C7F1718_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by sflam123
Spelling corrections

• 5 months later...

Don't mention it.
We are here to help eachother and he needed it more than me and the wing came from an old built kit I got from a friend years ago...it was inkomplete and only good for parts.
I have four complete unbuilt Jo-Han Superbirds, two Petty/Hamilton and two Sox & Martin in the stash so I'm fine and had no need for the extra wing anyway.

27 minutes ago, Force said:

Don't mention it.
We are here to help eachother and he needed it more than me and the wing came from an old built kit I got from a friend years ago...it was inkomplete and only good for parts.
I have four complete unbuilt Jo-Han Superbirds, two Petty/Hamilton and two Sox & Martin in the stash so I'm fine and had no need for the extra wing anyway.

Cool, but I bet the postage wasn't all that cheap from Sweden. My grandad was pure swedish and  came over in the late 1890's and settked in Joliet,  Illinois. 

On 12/19/2020 at 2:25 PM, MarkJ said:

Cool, but I bet the postage wasn't all that cheap from Sweden. My grandad was pure swedish and  came over in the late 1890's and settked in Joliet,  Illinois. 

I DID offer to pay Mr. Persson for his wing and/or at a minimum for the postage, but he declined my offer(s).  I am indebted to him and very appreciative!!