Model Cars Magazine Forum

T/A snowflake wheels

Starting to build up a 1977 Trans Am, from an older Ertl kit. The wheels are on the chrome tree. They are supposed to be the gold snowflakes, with gold on the inside and the outer surfaces remain chrome, which I will dullcote. 

Any hints for the easiest way to do this? Was thinking to paint the wheels gold and wipe off the paint on the high parts, similar to a wash. Any other ideas?

Here's a pic of what the wheels look like in 1:1.

snowflakes_01.jpg

That may be the easiest way. My suggestion would be to use either Tamiya X-12 Gold Leaf or something similar. One thought would be to not completely mix in the pigment that gathers on the bottom of the jar. Rely on the clearer portion of the paint with just a little of the pigment preset.  Try your technique on the chrome tree to get the desired effect. The gold on the factory wheels weren't a high gloss, sort of a medium sheen. Some of the hard Q-Tips that are sold in many model shops work well for cleaning off the detail edges on the wheel. A light amount of paint thinner may be needed and this type of Q-Tip usually will not "bleed out" onto the gold portion. Hope that helps and consider posting your results.   

Thanks, espo. I will look for those harder q-tips. I was going to matte or satin coat the wheels after painting and detailing to better simulate the aluminum finish on the originals.

I'll put up pictures when I get them done to my liking.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:27 AM, Plowboy said:

I would strip them, paint with Tamiya Gold and the do the face of them with a silver Sharpie. The center cap and lug nuts could be done with a Molotow pen. 

X3 on what he said.  Strip them, then paint the gold coves, then paint the rim and flats  of the spokes silver, perhaps with a semi-gloss clear top coat.

Since I've been out of the hobby for 9 years, what is this Molotow pen I keep seeing people talking about?

On 9/5/2020 at 11:18 AM, Eddie Cremer said:

X3 on what he said.  Strip them, then paint the gold coves, then paint the rim and flats  of the spokes silver, perhaps with a semi-gloss clear top coat.

Since I've been out of the hobby for 9 years, what is this Molotow pen I keep seeing people talking about?

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supplies/Drawing-Illustration/Markers/Molotow-Liquid-Chrome-Marker/p/LC101225

Lots of videos on youtube, using the ink straight out of the markers, or airbrushing the ink decanted from a marker (or better yet, poured from one of the refills available).

Finally got to hobby lobby to pick up a molotow pen. Here is the final result. To recap, the wheels were stripped of the chrome plating in whitewall cleaner. Then I sprayed them with Rustoleum 2x gold. The silver on the wheel face was done with a sharpie silver paint pen. Lugs and center caps were picked out with a molotow pen. Unfortunately the kit does not come with decals for the caps.

20200907_202825.jpg