Model Cars Magazine Forum

427 cobra

Brudda

Bruce, a couple of things for you.  First, I noticed when I built mine that the adhesive on the carpeting would slowly give up over the course of a few days.  That could have just been my kit, but I brushed on some Krazy Glue (VERY thinly) before applying the carpet.  Second, a question for you... What is your method for attaching braided lines to fittings.  When I do it, I always end up with a bulge and stiffness at the ends.  Otherwise, looking great!

Mark, one suggestion to keeping your braided lines round when putting them in a fitting is to perhaps use some sort of stiff rod (brass or steel) insert this into your hose and then put on your fitting. Gently slide the rod out after the glue or epoxy has set a bit and gently place them where you want it.

It might be a good idea to test fit where your braided hose needs to be to cut down on the handling of it. The less you have to handle the ends the better.

Hope this helps you out!

On 3/9/2021 at 6:46 AM, nazdrave said:

Bruce, a couple of things for you.  First, I noticed when I built mine that the adhesive on the carpeting would slowly give up over the course of a few days.  That could have just been my kit, but I brushed on some Krazy Glue (VERY thinly) before applying the carpet.  Second, a question for you... What is your method for attaching braided lines to fittings.  When I do it, I always end up with a bulge and stiffness at the ends.  Otherwise, looking great!

Hello Nazdrave. Thank you for the heads up on the carpet! That could be very disappointing later in the build. The braided hose: I super glue the ends after I cut them. Let it dry then with a tooth pick apply the ca on the hose and part. When connected I use a accelerator on the ca. Seems to hold good. Thanks again for the tip!

On 3/9/2021 at 7:57 AM, MrObsessive said:

Mark, one suggestion to keeping your braided lines round when putting them in a fitting is to perhaps use some sort of stiff rod (brass or steel) insert this into your hose and then put on your fitting. Gently slide the rod out after the glue or epoxy has set a bit and gently place them where you want it.

It might be a good idea to test fit where your braided hose needs to be to cut down on the handling of it. The less you have to handle the ends the better.

Hope this helps you out!

Thank you Mr Obsessive for the tips also! Every bit helps! By the way , I have some information on some decals from England for you for the ford GT. I have to paint my shed today, but after that I will give you the address for the decals. Fuel pump. Battery, fire extinguisher, and better gauge decals. I will have to take mine apart to redo the instrument decals. They look really good! 

On 3/9/2021 at 7:57 AM, MrObsessive said:

Hope this helps you out!

It’s too cold to paint the shed. Maybe later today. Might warm up. So here is pics of the decals.

C6BC7B94-FC9F-4BEA-8A13-578F11194CF2.jpeg

274DFC49-D1FC-4DA2-8FE3-B18492DB6AE6.jpeg

B5CE0A80-1BF0-4145-AC3D-8C92AF83584A.jpeg

On 3/9/2021 at 9:57 AM, MrObsessive said:

Hope this helps you out!

Excellent tips, thank you!

On 3/15/2021 at 2:35 PM, Chris Smith said:

Bruce, your doing a fantastic job on this, I sure hope my Porsche comes out as well as this is!

If it was a full size, I would like a ride in it around Lake Tahoe 😉😁

Thank you Chris. Mark will give you a ride in his.

8C71D61F-5816-4218-B1EE-24FEC4DA07B0.jpeg

7FD86B3E-00C1-47C7-8ED1-1BABFE415528.jpeg

Fitting the radiator and placing the seats. Modified the front tubes. Not installed yet. Had to make a lower radiator hose. For the price you think they would have made one. Had to make the coil also. The front is fighting me a little. Still a little nervous on the body going over the chassis. With mfh kits , it’s a little at a time.

7342B468-CDF5-4D86-BFF6-F322EB788F8D.jpeg

C2CD98A8-3919-4EBC-A7DC-57CB4D39F8A5.jpeg

Upper radiator hose fitting, lower hose, dash board fitting. A lot of fitting going on.  Going to try (TRY)to make a wiring harness for the voltage regulator, starter solenoid, and other stuff on the firewall.  So a lot of boring stuff but I hope it makes the engine compartment look really interesting. Hopefully the front frame tubes, radiator, firewall stuff will be installed. This will take a few days. Deep breath and that therapist phone number from Chris. 

3A07B191-F7D2-40E9-AB23-3559641DC4AB.jpeg

F6AEAF9F-7E00-4F73-9BC5-D91A4E2237EA.jpeg

On 3/20/2021 at 4:52 AM, Dann Tier said:

Its all looking FANTASTIC, Bud!!!!   cant believe all the bits you found werent included!  For a kit this size, and cost, thats crazy!

Are those the seats that came in the kit?.....look really hard, and uncomfortable to sit on, lol

Hello Dann. It’s surprising that model factory hiro does not include these pieces. My Ferrari was the same way. No brake lines , and a few other things. What surprises me on the mfh kits are the details and then the most simple things are not there. Fit is another issue which suprised me. Some things fit fantastic and others are way off. As for the seats, yes they are not the best compared to today’s cars, but for the day it was whatever worked and fit. Thank you for the wonderful comments.   Going to try to make a wiring harness for the firewall and engine compartment. This might take awhile as I am not the best with wiring. 

A6753D95-93E7-4855-92AE-3D687856BE0E.jpeg

A7303410-0376-4B81-802F-FDC47C9F6ABE.jpeg

Bruce.... You have my # 😁 the therapist is very secretive. But if you really need it, give me a ring. You will need this person when the 917-30 gets really going.

As for the Cobra, it is coming out fantastic!! I do admire your ability and hope to get to see this in person soon. Keep it in my friend.