Model Cars Magazine Forum

427 cobra

Brudda

5 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Please dont be embarrassed! Al builds are welcome and enjoyed here at the forum. I will most definitly enjoy your build as well! And you are proboably on an higher level than i am but never the less i enjoy posting content. ?

I agree, please post your build! Every one learns something. 

16D10325-B339-4F60-ACD8-ABB4859F2951.thumb.jpeg.bf28fa535bd9873050afc9039af1dcf3.jpegCleaned up white metal parts,   Put them into the polisher to remove mold release. Drilled out 48 holes. Check fit. Prime parts then paint trim black. Fit engine again. Always fitting. Try to stay about 5 steps ahead. But sometimes this is not enough. 

4956E35B-2336-4C6B-86B8-F8A1A4151003.jpeg

8 hours ago, Chris Smith said:

Bruce, buddy! This is coming along nicely. I am so glad you decided to take this kit on, cannot wait for more updates!!

Thank you Chris. Going to take a very small break on the cobra and have to build pack 7 and 8 of the supersnake. Just a couple of days and I’ll be back on the cobra. 

I made a mistake and did not check the resin frame. Should have known but assumed it was straight. Was wondering why parts were not fitting right. The frame was twisted. Boiled water in a pan. Put the resin frame in and waited a few minutes. Pulled out and twisted it back into shape. Put on a tile to check for straightness. Now straight. Can continue. 

89537E35-C2CD-4C72-AB4C-50817862EDCA.jpeg

73352322-033E-471B-AB37-1E8095F3316D.jpeg

Fitting the interior floor pan. Had to drill more holes in the tube frame. Glad I fixed the frame as this pan would not fit. Have a little more confidence for the body to fit. But I know I will have to modify something. This step is way ahead of where I am now but if you do not fit it now, the future will be tough. Suspension next. 

B98B5F1B-911D-4462-BEF6-3D61609B2C8F.jpeg

On 9/29/2020 at 8:23 AM, nazdrave said:

I am humbled by the quality of Brudda's build - that's why I am almost embarrassed to post pictures of my build.  He is on a different level from me altogether.  I can't wait to see his dashboard and interior details.  

I am building mine to resemble the Factory Five kit I built about 12 years ago.  It is a very challenging kit for sure, but rewarding just the same.  I am about to tackle mounting the doors and body and then I have to come up with strategy to build the windshield and frame.  The frame is white metal and it gets deformed to some degree during boxing and shipping.  The windshield "glass" is a very flimsy thin film that needs to be cut out.  Fun!

Hello Nazdrave. Did you mount the body to the chassis? If so what complications did you have? Being a mfh kit, there usually is a problem of some kind. Let’s see your build please. Thank you 

On 9/29/2020 at 8:23 AM, nazdrave said:

I am humbled by the quality of Brudda's build - that's why I am almost embarrassed to post pictures of my build.  He is on a different level from me altogether.  I can't wait to see his dashboard and interior details.  

I am building mine to resemble the Factory Five kit I built about 12 years ago.  It is a very challenging kit for sure, but rewarding just the same.  I am about to tackle mounting the doors and body and then I have to come up with strategy to build the windshield and frame.  The frame is white metal and it gets deformed to some degree during boxing and shipping.  The windshield "glass" is a very flimsy thin film that needs to be cut out.  Fun!

OK, here are some more pics of the chassis build so far - please pardon the dust, etc.  The seats are only in place and are not finished yet or fixed.  I also have to finish the carpeting.  The biggest problem that I ran into was all the distortion in the white metal parts.  I would estimate that at least 50% needed to be "fixed" so to speak - that is to say carefully bent/finessed to fit right.  This was especially so in the rear.  My main ladder chassis member was straight right out of the box.  I also have been having a time getting the hood hinge to work without scraping paint.  It's hard to tell from the pictures but the rear springs and front springs are different colors - I did this just like my Factory Five build and some race Cobras I've seen (Factory Five spec racers) that do that so it's easy to tell the different springs with slight different rates. 

Right now, I am just about to apply the final coats of clear on the main body, hood and trunklid.  

Brudda, what were you planning to do as it pertains to crafting some kind of inner door skins.  I have some adhesive backed trim paper from another model and I was thinking about cutting that to size and sticking that on.  Also, I am really concerned about how I am going to cut out the windshield to make it fit and look right with so little margin for error.  

20201006_120235.jpg

20201006_120323.jpg

20201006_120337.jpg

20201006_120401.jpg

20201006_120411.jpg

20201006_120424.jpg

Edited by nazdrave

On 10/3/2020 at 11:08 PM, Brudda said:

Fitting the interior floor pan. Had to drill more holes in the tube frame. Glad I fixed the frame as this pan would not fit. Have a little more confidence for the body to fit. But I know I will have to modify something. This step is way ahead of where I am now but if you do not fit it now, the future will be tough. Suspension next. 

B98B5F1B-911D-4462-BEF6-3D61609B2C8F.jpeg

Everything is looking Bang-on, Bud!!!!

4 hours ago, nazdrave said:

OK, here are some more pics of the chassis build so far - please pardon the dust, etc.  The seats are only in place and are not finished yet or fixed.  I also have to finish the carpeting.  The biggest problem that I ran into was all the distortion in the white metal parts.  I would estimate that at least 50% needed to be "fixed" so to speak - that is to say carefully bent/finessed to fit right.  This was especially so in the rear.  My main ladder chassis member was straight right out of the box.  I also have been having a time getting the hood hinge to work without scraping paint.  It's hard to tell from the pictures but the rear springs and front springs are different colors - I did this just like my Factory Five build and some race Cobras I've seen (Factory Five spec racers) that do that so it's easy to tell the different springs with slight different rates. 

Right now, I am just about to apply the final coats of clear on the main body, hood and trunklid.  

Brudda, what were you planning to do as it pertains to crafting some kind of inner door skins.  I have some adhesive backed trim paper from another model and I was thinking about cutting that to size and sticking that on.  Also, I am really concerned about how I am going to cut out the windshield to make it fit and look right with so little margin for error.  

20201006_120235.jpg

20201006_120323.jpg

20201006_120337.jpg

20201006_120401.jpg

20201006_120411.jpg

20201006_120424.jpg

Man that looks great!! On the doors, I was not going to do anything as far as interior panels. They were options on the original car. My buddy Mark has no interior door panels on his Original  289 cobra. Because I really did not know what to do , I was not going to have them. The windshield is another matter altogether. I might have something that might work. I’m going to polish the frame as best as one can and not turn it into a pretzel. I have some automotive clear double sided tape that is very strong that I use . I will try it and if it works I’ll let you know. I’m doing the suspension first then I’ll jump to the windshield I am wondering if it will turn out. I’ll keep you posted. 

11 hours ago, nazdrave said:

20201006_120235.jpg

20201006_120323.jpg

20201006_120337.jpg

20201006_120401.jpg

20201006_120411.jpg

20201006_120424.jpg

Hello nazdrave I am going to use this clear double sided tape. I used it on my Ferrari P4 . Used the tape on my headlight covers. Cannot even tell. Hope it works as well on the windshield. Going to do the rear suspension then I will give the windshield a shot. Here is a pic of the tape. And a pic of the headlight covers. Hope this helps. 

C26F7F7A-C2C3-43DF-A1F3-C8988E0C4843.jpeg

45A4AAB4-D68B-461E-ACB5-E0A3F338BD7E.jpeg

7D3D066A-13CA-4904-8360-73E4CD4A8108.jpeg

By the way, your build is really really nice. Anyone who builds these kits has just as much patience as the pope. You cannot get mad at these parts and pieces. You need hours and hours of straightening, shaping and sanding the white metal.  This is the prep work before you can even assemble anything. The white metal is a big problem for mfh kits. Although when you build it right it is very rewarding. The price is high for these kits and most people say it should just fall together. But they do not. Tamiya kits are the best for the buck as far as falling together and quality. But for realistic looks and a rewarding build, you cannot beat a mfh kit. Oh and that hood hinge is tough. It’s all messed up and you have to reshape it. What am I saying, most of the white metal parts are all messed up. Thank you for sharing. Great job on your cobra. 

10 hours ago, Brudda said:

By the way, your build is really really nice. Anyone who builds these kits has just as much patience as the pope. You cannot get mad at these parts and pieces. You need hours and hours of straightening, shaping and sanding the white metal.  This is the prep work before you can even assemble anything. The white metal is a big problem for mfh kits. Although when you build it right it is very rewarding. The price is high for these kits and most people say it should just fall together. But they do not. Tamiya kits are the best for the buck as far as falling together and quality. But for realistic looks and a rewarding build, you cannot beat a mfh kit. Oh and that hood hinge is tough. It’s all messed up and you have to reshape it. What am I saying, most of the white metal parts are all messed up. Thank you for sharing. Great job on your cobra. 

Thank you for your kind words, my friend.  I agree completely - Tamiya is best bang for the buck and out-of-the-box fitment, but MFH is the best when it comes to accuracy and detail.  They require a lot of finessing, but it's worth it!  

So, thanks for tip on the clear tape.  I just ordered two rolls for myself.  The headlight lenses on the Ferrari look perfect!  You can't tell at all.

I just finished spraying clear for the final time.  Here are some pics of that - I have not yet started to wet sand and polish, but that will be next.  The stripes look more yellow in the pictures than in real life.  They are Tamiya Racing White which is an off-white/ivory shade.    

20201007_103029.jpg

20201007_103040.jpg

20201007_103135.jpg

20201007_103144.jpg

4 hours ago, nazdrave said:

Thank you for your kind words, my friend.  I agree completely - Tamiya is best bang for the buck and out-of-the-box fitment, but MFH is the best when it comes to accuracy and detail.  They require a lot of finessing, but it's worth it!  

So, thanks for tip on the clear tape.  I just ordered two rolls for myself.  The headlight lenses on the Ferrari look perfect!  You can't tell at all.

I just finished spraying clear for the final time.  Here are some pics of that - I have not yet started to wet sand and polish, but that will be next.  The stripes look more yellow in the pictures than in real life.  They are Tamiya Racing White which is an off-white/ivory shade.    

20201007_103029.jpg

20201007_103040.jpg

20201007_103135.jpg

20201007_103144.jpg

I’m going to learn a new technique on the windshield frame, My friend Mark is very very experienced in this metal. He is going to teach me “solder wiping”. Fills the imperfections in the white metal with solder and polished like it was chrome. Here is a example. The pieces that look like chrome are white metal that has been “solder wiped” sanded then polished. By the way , this is the level my buddy Mark is at. I’m still learning!

56D3C587-1F05-492D-96F9-10FD25D092EE.jpeg

Just now, Brudda said:

I’m going to learn a new technique on the windshield frame, My friend Mark is very very experienced in this metal. He is going to teach me “solder wiping”. Fills the imperfections in the white metal with solder and polished like it was chrome. Here is a example. The pieces that look like chrome are white metal that has been “solder wiped” sanded then polished. By the way , this is the level my buddy Mark is at. I’m still learning!

56D3C587-1F05-492D-96F9-10FD25D092EE.jpeg

By the way your clear is perfect. The color of the white stripes are also perfect. Wimbledon White. Some call it hounds tooth white. Your build is looking great