Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

2 hours ago, Mike Chernecki said:

Hi Steve,

I mentioned this when you were building your '69. Does the '68 have the sunken in area on the passenger side door, both the '69 and '70 have it? Also, I  removed the extra door crease on my '70 in the pictures.

I'm not really seeing anything noticeable.

If there is, it's not pronounced enough to warrant any extra attention.

Steve

Getting a start on the engineering required to mate the Revell Charger chassis parts to the Coronet body.

As you well know, this is probably the most important procedure when combining these sort of parts between kits.

Screw something up now and you pay for it down the road. :P

image.jpeg.b1adc75531e79e8ec425b423b2afdca9.jpeg

image.jpeg.534e675fa7cc7f652aa01b8fe6b77609.jpeg

Steve

The next order of business was to eliminate those big and bulky grille backing plates.

This is something I wish that I had done on my '69.

They do nothing for the appearance under the hood, and they will just be a problem later when it's time to add head light buckets.

image.jpeg.32d1ccca0ad0b1b03886a2608ccd4080.jpeg

image.jpeg.bc3fba003c3f975f03f2fca781f98ebd.jpeg

I've also been mulling over the options for continuing the door panel pattern into the rear seat area once the convertible top wells have been removed.

I thought about casting the finely fluted part of the front door panel to be used in the rear, but I wasn't confident on that one, so I decided to make completely new panels to be added once the old portion was cut out and removed.

This way I can replace all of that detail through out the entire interior so it is all even.

I made this panel by simply gluing lengths of very thinly stretched sprue to a piece of sheet plastic.

Now I can cut out pieces of this panel to the size and shape desired to be added to the door panels as needed.

This is enough for one side, so another will need to be constructed.

image.jpeg.9f2b4a51bb05e25880e086cae361084a.jpeg

Steve

31 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Nice! How are you able to stretch that sprue so evenly? Mine would be thick and thin in places, I'm afraid! LOL

I just heat the sprue until it gets soft and sags and then pull on the ends with even pressure.

Slowly for thicker pieces, and more quickly for thinner.

Steve

52 minutes ago, Husky1943 said:

Steven, you really have talent for turning plastic into high art!  I enjoy following your progress as much as the finished car!

Thank you Rob.

The more I look at these door cards and what it's going to take to get the rear to match the front, the more I realize that it's going to take really drastic measures to do it.

I've pretty much decided that almost the entire door card is going to have to be scratch built! :mellow:

This is pretty much all that I'm saving from the original door panel.

I'm only keeping this to help with positioning of the dash board, and the "Coronet" badging on the upper door portion.

Everything else is going to have to be made.

image.jpeg.a567db536c9d9993cfbc93f01c89f9be.jpeg

Steve

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

Be very careful in making the upper ridge section. In the 1/1 panel this pattern is VERY light  in person

Yeah, I know Bill, but I don't see any way to make it that fine.

Hopefully by the time the paint is applied, it will look close.

Even the original panels in the MPC kit are nowhere near that fine.

Steve

I'm surprised by the amount of flash on the forward of the fenders , and onto the header panel ---- for an all-new body , on its first run ? 

Those inner door panels look like tonnes of fun to replicate / scratch-build . From what I'm seeing of your work there , the piping looks to be in-scale (esp. , like you stated , after primer and paint work as a de facto fill ) .

Was there a regular hardtop interior tub ever produced for the '68-'70 Coronet annuals ? Were they all convertible-based ?

2 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

No,

All the original interior tubs were convertible only

I have the first Round2 run of the 1970 Super Bee ( c.2012 ) , but I never paid attention to its interior tub . Doesn't Harts Parts make a resin 1970 'Bee tub with hardtop panels , sans console ?

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I'm a little confused by the Hart's parts photo of that interior. 

The description says non convertible, yet the photo clearly depicts a convertible tub with the top mechanism wells and full arm rests.

A true non convertible interior would have the same design of panel as the front with small arm rests. :unsure:

AMT-1970-Coronet-4-Speed-Interior-Tub.jp

1970-Dodge-Coronet-RT-back-seat.jpg

Steve

Oops!

My mistake.

It says "non console".  (all I can see on my screen on the website is "Non-Con")

It's still a convertible tub. ;)

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Most annual kits from the 60s that had both a hardtop and a convertible version have convertible interiors in the hardtop.  There are many  examples. This resin interior tub was no doubt mastered from a kit part. 

Edited by Rob Hall

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It says "non console".  (all I can see on my screen on the website is "Non-Con")

It's still a convertible tub

I'm likely going to buy one of those tubs (and the separate bench seat) for the '70 'Bee I have . 

I wonder if one were to cut the rear bench down the centre ( in a "V" shape or a horizontal slice ) and moved the interior quarters outward a similar amount... how much trouble would that "bee" ? 

Certainly , your '68 R/T (same pattern as the '500' trim , IIRC) is a different animal from the '70 pattern (both seating and doors / quarters) ... heretofore the challenge .

Harts Parts are excellent , at least in my experiences with his offerings .

Both the 68 and 69 MPC Coronet kits back then were hardtop and convertible versions. Both had the exact same conv interior tub.

The original 1970 Coronet also had a convertible interior tub, even though there was no conv version of the kit made back then

• Xingu locked this topic