Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '76 Chevy Custom Van

Casey

The Cragar Mach 8 wheels never really caught on for whatever reason, so ditching them would be an upgrade IMHO. While the choice of Cragar S/S, Keystone Kustomag Klassic, or 5-slots might seem ubiquitous to some, they work well on a retro style van, and it's not difficult to find sets of each in whichever offset and width the builder desires.

Same thing with tire choices. We knew the tires in this kit would be the garbage two-piece tires the kits has always included, so again, kit and aftermarket selections abound. Would it have been nice to have one-piece tires included? Sure, but with stateside-molded kits, Revell is going to be limited to the tire molds they have on hand at the IL molding facility they use, and the tires have to actually fit the wheels in the particular kit in question, too.

Edited by Casey

At the time the kit first came out, white or chrome 8 spoke "wagon wheels' were the most common closely followed by turbine style wheels. 

There were a lot of choices for white letter tires at the time so any would be fine but remember wire meats on the back with smaller ones on the front. 

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Sure, but with stateside-molded kits, Revell is going to be limited to the tire molds they have on hand at the IL molding facility they use, and the tires have to actually fit the wheels in the particular kit in question, too.

20210610_213129.jpg

🤷🏻

Edited by Fabrux

14 hours ago, Fabrux said:

🤷🏻

I stand corrected. Nice international effort by Revell, though. 😁

1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

The tires and wheels from Arii American style fit real nice ,they are big and littles bf Goodrich radial T/A and slotted mags .

I think those'd be too large for this van. The Arii wheel and tires sets are 1/24 scale, and in this case, I think the small scale difference would be very noticeable.

36 minutes ago, slusher said:

I wonder if the tires from the van and race trailer would fit? 

Possibly, but at 1/24 scale and 14" or so, the ID would likely be to large to work with the kit's wheels. The 1/24 Monogram/Revell Chevy Van included the old Monogram Goodyear GT Radial tires, which are a 65 or 70 series tire, IIRC, so maybe too tall and not wide enough to get that '70s "fat meats" look. With the molded in fender flares on this kit's body, anything less than an 8" or 10" wide scale wheel will not look proper IMHO.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I stand corrected. Nice international effort by Revell, though. 😁

I think those'd be too large for this van. The Arii wheel and tires sets are 1/24 scale, and in this case, I think the small scale difference would be very noticeable.

Possibly, but at 1/24 scale and 14" or so, the ID would likely be to large to work with the kit's wheels. The 1/24 Monogram/Revell Chevy Van included the old Monogram Goodyear GT Radial tires, which are a 65 or 70 series tire, IIRC, so maybe too tall and not wide enough to get that '70s "fat meats" look. With the molded in fender flares on this kit's body, anything less than an 8" or 10" wide scale wheel will not look proper IMHO.

If you look at Faust van those are 1/24 tires & wheels from Monogram ,the Arii tires fit very well and have that fat meat look ! And the BF Goodrich T/A were popular back then .

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the previous issue of this kit, the decals got damaged so I might see if I can get the new issue decals from one of those eBay "break up a kit and sell the parts" sellers.  As for tires, I'd definitely look at the Fireball stuff, particularly the tire lettering decals.  Those big, blocky lettering styles like the Super Stock Formulas would be perfect for a Seventies van.