Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '76 Chevy Custom Van

Casey

On 10/8/2020 at 1:21 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Like the Monogram better, especially the 4x4 version...

10213698670357874_1788538260_n-vi.jpg

Pic courtesy of the builder who can be identified via link below which leads you to more pics of his built

https://coffincorner.proboards.com/thread/20201/monogram-desert-rat-van

Those monogram kits brought back fond memories of my youth. I did that van kit as well. Anyone remember the AMT Foxy Box van kit? That was my first van kit.

foxybox.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The tires are very soft rubber 2 piece from the 70's. The tampo looks good but is on the wrong side, you cant make logos on the outside of each tire , and mine was short shot on 1 side.

The plastic is very rubber like . 

The decals look very nice.

2 hours ago, Cliff Dagger said:

The tires are very soft rubber 2 piece from the 70's. The tampo looks good but is on the wrong side, you cant make logos on the outside of each tire , and mine was short shot on 1 side.

Yikes, that's disappointing too read. I had hoped Revell recycled those horrible two-piece tire molds long ago.

2 hours ago, Cliff Dagger said:

The plastic is very rubber like.

This seems to be an issue with all Revell kits molded stateside-- Chevy Luv, Dodge Ramcharger, etc.

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Yikes, that's disappointing too read. I had hoped Revell recycled those horrible two-piece tire molds long ago.

Those moulds , the AMT Good Year Rallye GT ( still in some kits !!! ) , and the Monogram  c.1973 tyres of the same nomenclature --- those should be scapped permanently !

Man, that's awesome that this one is back out! Never have too many Street/Show vans!!

I built this one a while ago, in a previous iteration:

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/cars/124-monogram-custom-70s-van-sundance-express/

spacer.png

While I do like the new stripes, I wish they'd have included some of the murals and panel decals my iteration came with. 

Still, it's a great kit, with both opening hood and full interior - it's a far cry better than the AMT Ford vans that are "closed" and "hollow". It builds well and you can have a TONNE of fun with it!

Nice work, Revell! What with that van and now the Courier Minivan coming out, they're really getting the retro machine cranked up, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched HPI Guy's review. 

I'd call it a Swing and a Miss. Lousy tires. Somebody at Revell, should be admonished for that. All the trouble to Tampo Print what have to be some of Revell's worst tires. And then to mold them in practically Un-glueable Faux Rubber!

Ick!

The rest of the kit looks Ok, but only Ok.  See, Sow's Ear = Silk Purse. (Not!)  Really Great Decals though!

Glad some people like these, but I remember the original issues and they were vague and also had crappy 2 piece tires. This one is marginally better because of the decals. I guess it is good they reissued it because they were getting pretty big money for the older ones on ebay. However, I would have MUCH rather seen the Monogram off road van issued. 

Got this kit as I really wanted a van similar to a couple of friends I knew with the cool interior stuff. The tires are garbage. I spent about 15-20 minutes trying to test fit them together but they're so soft it's like trying to mate a couple of wet noodles. What a waste of effort for Revell to do tampo printing on tires that can't be used.

Tried looking at some aftermarket tires I have to replace them but they're all a bit smaller and not sure they'll fill the wheel well right. Hope to find something but not sure.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:38 AM, TonyK said:

The tires are garbage

There is likely no tire mold stateside which would work with the kit's wheels, and because including no tires isn't a viable option, they went with the next best option.

Interesting about the tires.  Original tires were molded in a very hard slippery plastic that was almost impassible to glue.  Everybody is saying that these 2-piece are molded from soft rubber compound. Has anybody tried thin CA glue?  CA usually works really well on soft rubber.

The photo of the preproduction model (earlier in this thread) shows what looks like decent tires.

1 hour ago, slusher said:

I haven’t watched the video but if the van has 2 piece tires that was a poor decision by the manufacturer…

I skipped through the video, and the guy was able to glue the tire halved together using contact cement, but he didn't really clean up the flash at the seam line at the center of the tread.  He didn't bother because "it will not be visible on the completed model". He is not the most fastidious builder, but gets models built, and lots of views on Youtube.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny follow up on the tires in this kit. Emailed Revell of Germany and said I didn't like the warped soft 2 piece tires and I have managed to use their 2 piece tires in the past but these aren't working. Got a reply saying "Sorry, extra parts and decals are no longer available for this kit".

First of all I wasn't expecting a replacement and 2nd, the kit just came out and you have nothing available?! Ok then.

btw, I have lots of extra tires in boxes too but nothing matches the size of the van tires.