Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gunze Sanyo Cobra Daytona Question

3 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Very nice build.  I scored an extra photo etch set from Ebay just in case I lost parts on my build which will probably happen at some point.  The wipers were not on chassis 2299 when it was photographed so that’s why they did not end up being included in the Gunze model.

so you're the guy that outbid me on that??  no worries. the beat up built up I just scored is going to wind up as Breedlove's Bonne car, I think...

We'll see...

14 minutes ago, Ralph Henderson said:

so you're the guy that outbid me on that??  no worries. the beat up built up I just scored is going to wind up as Breedlove's Bonne car, I think...

We'll see...

Were you h***5 ?  I won it on January 28th by ten cents over only one other bidder.  The $10 shipping seemed pretty excessive though so it ended up costing $32 just for the sheet.  Good luck on your build.

1E836DFE-9C17-4FC7-ACDC-9D0BA9FF0EB5.jpeg

159D754C-84BD-40FD-9998-3F840790AB21.jpeg

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Were you h***5 ?  I won it on January 28th by ten cents over only one other bidder.  The $10 shipping seemed pretty excessive though so it ended up costing $32 just for the sheet.  Good luck on your build.

1E836DFE-9C17-4FC7-ACDC-9D0BA9FF0EB5.jpeg

159D754C-84BD-40FD-9998-3F840790AB21.jpeg

I am rlh55. date sounds about right..  lol..

Edited by Ralph Henderson

No one mentioned this. maybe relevant, HRM once made an upgrade kit for the Gunze Daytona coupe. It came with 2 piece wheels, tires most of an engine and all the cast metal and rubber parts are included in resin. The frame is built and in resin also. It makes building the Gunze kit much easier.

The 6 coupes are all a little different, most have a more rounded nose and look better to my eyes. The one used to model the Gunze was very flat across the nose. HRM copied that. The little Cobra Daytona coupes have an amazing race record and to me was the most significant American race car, definitely of the 1960's.

3 hours ago, Bill J said:

No one mentioned this. maybe relevant, HRM once made an upgrade kit for the Gunze Daytona coupe. It came with 2 piece wheels, tires most of an engine and all the cast metal and rubber parts are included in resin. The frame is built and in resin also. It makes building the Gunze kit much easier.

The 6 coupes are all a little different, most have a more rounded nose and look better to my eyes. The one used to model the Gunze was very flat across the nose. HRM copied that. The little Cobra Daytona coupes have an amazing race record and to me was the most significant American race car, definitely of the 1960's.

I assume that was before Brad did a full kit.  I have some resin parts that are copies of the rubber parts but not sure where those came from. Anyway, the full HRM kit is still available and does not cost much more these days than just the original Gunze on Ebay.

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

I assume that was before Brad did a full kit.  I have some resin parts that are copies of the rubber parts but not sure where those came from. Anyway, the full HRM kit is still available and does not cost much more these days than just the original Gunze on Ebay.

Yes. I have Harold's kit and while that Gunze kit is nice, I'd rather have Harold's simply because you get more bang for the buck as far as content and price. Harold does an EXCELLENT job of replicating the little bits and pieces for this and it's definitely worth the money.

6 hours ago, Bill J said:

I believe when CSX 2299 was repaired the nose became flatter than it was originally.  When I built my '65 Gunze model I added a bit to round over the nose.

1341239798_Cobra_Daytona_1965_11_CSX2299_Sears-Thompson_1194.jpg.6f4e24977b68d6f9f976804e38b00970.jpg

3 hours ago, vamach1 said:

For sure the HRM kit is the kit to have. Amazing what is included and the craftsmanship is second to none. I have one of the HRM kits as well as one of the upgrade kits for the Gunze and a Gunze-Sanyo kits as well. Not enough time to build all these awesome cars :)

Edited by Bill J