Model Cars Magazine Forum

W-25 Cutlass/442 hood

TransAmMike

Looks like it may be a copy of the Modelhaus piece. I have one that is destined for a build, so I don't want to get rid of it. I have to say that the Modelhaus piece isn't "Modelhaus quality". I don't know who did the master for Don, but the hood is too thick and has no detail on the under side. If you look at Fab Resin's website, you can see the same issue on theirs.

The top side of the hoods are very similar in size between the Johan '70 and the Revell '72, and the Revell hood is much better detailed than the resin piece for the Johan kit. The main difference is that Olds moved the "tooth" from the hood to between the grilles for '71-72. I have scars on the back of my head from banging it on that stupid hood on the 1:1 '70 I once owned.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

Yep, it looks like the fabresins hood. According to website not available at this time. I'm checking to see when or even if.

It's obviously the fabresins hood, because the package in your photo shows that. This is the Modelhaus version and they look a lot alike. FWIW, the paint on the topside looks a lot better in person than it does in the photo.

This is a two-pronged project. I have a Johan 442 that I built in around 1974 or so that I stripped and repainted. The Modelhaus hood is going on that one if the windshield pillars would stop breaking every time I look at them cross eyed. On the other hand, I am using Modelhaus resin parts to "convert" the Revell convertible to a '70 Cutlass Supreme to match the one I owned in 80-82. I would have to drag out the parts, but IIRC, the resin (non-RamAir) replacement JoHan hood only required very slight trimming to fit the Revell convertible body, and the JoHan '70 bumpers fit the Revell kit very nicely as well. Have to scratch '70 Cutlass grille halves for the 442 bumper, but it should fall together rather nicely if I ever get it back to the bench. Luckily, I picked up a 442 rear bumper and exhaust tips for the 1:1, so i don't have to modify the JoHan resin bumper for the convertible.

PXL_20201018_234719884.jpg

PXL_20201018_234732904.jpg

I actually thought about attempting to scratch build the scoops out of styrene but it looks to me like the non scoop hood has a different contour on top.

BTW, if I build it it will not be a 442 but a Cutlass S like I ordered in 1970  because my wife at the time would'nt let me order a 442 because it would cost too much. She been lonnnnnnng gone since then LOL.

9 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Any one have this to part with??  An ebay seller has one included with the old Jo-Han 70 kit but its a bid item already up to almost $100 with the shipping. Really just need the hood.s-l1600.jpg.4c6f14d26e198035b114967f4b5ce8e4.jpg

I have the hood I could trade.

Any ideas how to get the Cady decals for the Ralley 350? I've been wanting to build one of those "big, yellow zonker's" for quite a while. 

I have two of the Modelhaus hoods, and yes they are too thick and the underside looks just like the one pictured above. I plan on carving out the underside to match the actual hood bracing. My neighbor I grew up with had one, then sold to my brother, which again was sold. Now my same neighbor bough another a few years back, a very nice show car. Great to have one close by for reference.

On 10/18/2020 at 3:37 PM, TransAmMike said:

Any one have this to part with??  An ebay seller has one included with the old Jo-Han 70 kit but its a bid item already up to almost $100 with the shipping. Really just need the hood.s-l1600.jpg.4c6f14d26e198035b114967f4b5ce8e4.jpg

That hood is still available from him, I just ordered and received one. I went to his website and on there was a link to his NEW web page. On the new site page it was listed as available 

• 1 year later...
On 5/1/2022 at 9:25 PM, FAB Resinworks said:

Hello All,

I have a completely remastered W-25 hood and rear spoiler available here , just click the link below.

https://www.fabresinworks.com/newstore2020/product/1-25th-w-25-ram-air-hood-for-the-johan-70-olds-442-kit/

Thanks for looking

Frank B

FAB Resinworks

Good to know!!! Thanks for the info