Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Ford F100 Ranger Pickup

My new project is the Moebius '71 Ford F100 Ranger.  This is a compromised kit being warped and Moebius is not willing to replace warped parts with new straight parts as I would have to buy them.  The cab was warped and they would charge me for a new cab with no guarantee that the new parts would not be warped.  I put the windshield into place in the cab with the hope that it would help remove the warp.  It seems be working, but now that I have assembled the frame, that is warped as well. 

Moebius' excuse was that a modeler would be able to remove that warp.  I'm a seasoned modeler with over 40 years of constant modeling under my belt and this is the first time that I have encountered a model company that wouldn't stand behind their product.  Moebius is now owned by Pegasus Hobbies and they told me to that they would replace one cab for my '72 F100 Sport Custom and I would have to buy the other for the '71 Ranger.  I told them that they need bigger boxes so product would not be warped and they keep producing product for the smaller boxes.  I simply will not buy any other Moebius products in the future. 

My kit is Kit # 1208.  I will be painting the body with Model Master Wimbledon White and Testors Gloss Orange (Competition Orange).  The engine will be wired, whitewall tires with the Explorer wheel covers.

More Ranger to come...

Ranger01.JPG

Ranger02.JPG

Ranger03.JPG

Ranger04.JPG

Ranger05.JPG

Ranger06.JPG

Thanks Curtis!  I found out through other sources that Moebius had repackaged the kit with simple rearranging of the sprues.  Without ample time for the product to cool and harden, the product is placed in the boxes warm and the end result is warpage.  A box 1/2" taller would prevent all that, but what do I know?  I used to pack boxes for a living, that's all!

1 hour ago, mrmike said:

Thanks Curtis!  I found out through other sources that Moebius had repackaged the kit with simple rearranging of the sprues.  Without ample time for the product to cool and harden, the product is placed in the boxes warm and the end result is warpage.  A box 1/2" taller would prevent all that, but what do I know?  I used to pack boxes for a living, that's all!

You are not alone in your issues with Moebuis and their lack of interest in customer service. I had a big quality issue with a couple of the Plymouth 1 models. and a hardtop. The body lines were almost non existent and the body finish was unbelievably bad on another one,. They didn't even want to talk to me when I called and were even to the point of being rude. I find this a shame since when they do get it right , like the Hudson's, they have a great kit. I don't like speaking badly  about valuable suppliers and kit makers, but their attitude has prevented me from buying some of their kits that I really wanted to build. I hope you're able to save this one as they look great when you get a good one.   

I had this kit in my hand at the LHS when they first came out, and put it back when I figured out they wanted about $5 over retail for it. Reading all the issues here about warped hoods, windshields that don't fit, plus the "pebble-grain" plastic that David mentioned, I am glad I didn't get one of the earlier issues. I stared at the '66 shortbox for a while, but didn't get it either. I recently pulled the trigger on the '66 4x4 though, and it looks pretty nice overall. Kind of irritated that they left the 2wd decal sheet in it, but I guess "real modelers" can print their own "Four Wheel Drive" inserts for the fender emblems.

I have enjoyed watching all of these Ford truck builds come together and will watch yours as well. Good luck with the warpage.

4 hours ago, mrmike said:

Moebius' excuse was that a modeler would be able to remove that warp. 

Personally, I think that is an unacceptable answer. If that's what their customer service is like, I'll keep that in mind next time I go shopping.

I like these old Ford trucks, looking forward to seeing where you go on this.

I'll throw my hat in the ring as another one whom is reluctant to purchase a Moebius kit (other than the first-issue of the Model King 1969 F-100 , which thankfully isn't warped)  . 

I , too , believe that it does come down to packing the contents ( *cough* mid-80's Monogram *cough* ) before the plastic cools. Add to that the too-small-boxes (really... how much more would a slightly-taller box cost ????) . 

I've put off buying any more of the F-Series pickups , any of the AWB Plymouths , or any of the Pontiacs because of the possibility of warped / damaged parts and their abhorrent replacement policies .

I can't wait to see how your vision comes together here , Mike . 

Hey guys,

Feel the need to help Moebius CS a bit here. Earlier this summer I had to contact them about replacing the chassis and some parts on a sprue (on same kit as MrMike I think) - it seemed to be an injection issue where the plastic didn't reach all the extremities. Moebius replied to my e-mail immediately and within a week I had the new parts in the post.

Maybe the difference here is my issue was clearly unfixable? But they did come through. :)

Take care!

Daf

19 hours ago, mrmike said:

My new project is the Moebius '71 Ford F100 Ranger.  This is a compromised kit being warped and Moebius is not willing to replace warped parts with new straight parts as I would have to buy them.  The cab was warped and they would charge me for a new cab with no guarantee that the new parts would not be warped.  I put the windshield into place in the cab with the hope that it would help remove the warp.  It seems be working, but now that I have assembled the frame, that is warped as well. 

Moebius' excuse was that a modeler would be able to remove that warp.  I'm a seasoned modeler with over 40 years of constant modeling under my belt and this is the first time that I have encountered a model company that wouldn't stand behind their product.  Moebius is now owned by Pegasus Hobbies and they told me to that they would replace one cab for my '72 F100 Sport Custom and I would have to buy the other for the '71 Ranger.  I told them that they need bigger boxes so product would not be warped and they keep producing product for the smaller boxes.  I simply will not buy any other Moebius products in the future. 

My kit is Kit # 1208.  I will be painting the body with Model Master Wimbledon White and Testors Gloss Orange (Competition Orange).  The engine will be wired, whitewall tires with the Explorer wheel covers.

More Ranger to come...

Ranger01.JPG

Ranger02.JPG

Ranger03.JPG

Ranger04.JPG

Ranger05.JPG

Ranger06.JPG

Good morning Mike.  I would need to apologize for my writing about the problems I have had with Moebius on your build post. I don't regret what I said about my experience but my posting this where I did was inappropriate and I ask that you please except my apology for posting this here. I did not wish to detract in any way from your build on this model. I have followed many of your builds and enjoy reading your McNally writings. Should you wish to have the moderators remove my post I would be fully in support since again I don't want to take anything away from what you are doing here. Again please accept my apology for going off on an unrelated tangent. 

It is certainly gratifying to hear that I am not alone in my issues with Moebius!  Many others sing praises to them for the subjects they produce, but they don't say anything about the issues with these kits!  Warpage and too tightly packed boxes should be addressed, but their fixes seem temporary at best. 

18 minutes ago, Daf57 said:

Hey guys,

Feel the need to help Moebius CS a bit here. Earlier this summer I had to contact them about replacing the chassis and some parts on a sprue (on same kit as MrMike I think) - it seemed to be an injection issue where the plastic didn't reach all the extremities. Moebius replied to my e-mail immediately and within a week I had the new parts in the post.

Maybe the difference here is my issue was clearly unfixable? But they did come through. :)

Take care!

Daf

Daf, I think your issue was resolved because of the fix was available to them. 

7 minutes ago, espo said:

Good morning Mike.  I would need to apologize for my writing about the problems I have had with Moebius on your build post. I don't regret what I said about my experience but my posting this where I did was inappropriate and I ask that you please except my apology for posting this here. I did not wish to detract in any way from your build on this model. I have followed many of your builds and enjoy reading your McNally writings. Should you wish to have the moderators remove my post I would be fully in support since again I don't want to take anything away from what you are doing here. Again please accept my apology for going off on an unrelated tangent. 

David, no need to apologize!  Some of us feel we should say something based on our experiences with other entities.  This is all part of our learning cycle!  Just as long as we don't flood the WIP with constant complaints, I think everything will be fine.  I originally started building this kit as part of a build off with a friend of mine and he lost some of his truck on the floor and the trash.  The build off is off!  I had written a McNally story for this and when the build off was suggested, I decided against posting the story.  Now that the build off is not happening, maybe I'll add the story to the build.  

3 minutes ago, mrmike said:

It is certainly gratifying to hear that I am not alone in my issues with Moebius!  Many others sing praises to them for the subjects they produce, but they don't say anything about the issues with these kits!  Warpage and too tightly packed boxes should be addressed, but their fixes seem temporary at best. 

Daf, I think your issue was resolved because of the fix was available to them. 

David, no need to apologize!  Some of us feel we should say something based on our experiences with other entities.  This is all part of our learning cycle!  Just as long as we don't flood the WIP with constant complaints, I think everything will be fine.  I originally started building this kit as part of a build off with a friend of mine and he lost some of his truck on the floor and the trash.  The build off is off!  I had written a McNally story for this and when the build off was suggested, I decided against posting the story.  Now that the build off is not happening, maybe I'll add the story to the build.  

Thank you. 

Guys, manufacturers are cautious with sending out parts because there is a lot of scamming.  I’ve been in conversations with manufacturers who tell tales that it’s common for people to say their kit was missing the tires and rims, but not requesting the rest of the chrome tree the rims are on... what are the chances?  

When Revell came out with the 66 Chevelle wagon with the custom hood, suddenly there was a run of folks who all claimed the flat hood was missing on their 66 ElCamino kits.

Every scammer thinks they’re pretty swift but the scam is pretty apparent on the receiving end. And for the most part, every request means they have to trash an entire kit. 

Where your request is legit to you, to ask for two bodies at the same time may seem odd to them. 

And for the box size, part placement into boxes etc, warping is more because parts are removed from molds too fast, boxing isn’t done that instantaneous.  And like the other companies, Moebius doesn’t own their manufacturing, so there are limits to their actual control.  Their kits could very well come from the same contractors used by the others. 

As part of the request process, I was asked to supply photos of the cabs in question, which I did.  Their reply was that they will replace the cab with most serious warp to it.  The other, in their humble opinion, was not as bad and I could buy a new cab to replace it and since I was a modeler, I would be able to deal with that warp.  This is NOT good customer service!  I took the new cab and I told them I would not be buying the other.  To me, this is poor customer service.  It was Moebius (Pegasus) cheaping out to save a few bucks!  They need to realize that good customer service will get them good customers in the future and they don't want to know or be bothered with that!  This is not backing up their product.  It is scamming on their behalf, IMHO!    

I had a story written for this build, but chose not to use it for a build off with a friend.  He had to pull out at the last minute, so I will insert the story starting with this post.

The Story

The old man walks into Boston Police Headquarters and he tells the desk sergeant that his wife is missing.  The desk sergeant calls for a detective from Missing Persons to come down and talk to him.  Since the man's wife has been missing for only a few hours, the Police will take a report and keep an eye out for her, but they really can't search for her until she has been missing for 24 hours.  The detective walks back upstairs to Missing Persons and the old man becomes very frustrated and he cries out for help.  McNally was in the process to turning in his Visitors Badge when the old man started cries out loud and he offered to help.  The old man says he can't afford a private investigator and McNally tells him to not worry about the money and they would work something out later.

The old man is Jesse Hawkins and his missing wife is named Rhonda and she went for her morning walk and never returned home.  McNally asks about her route for walking and he will drive along looking for her on her route.  Then he will search side streets and empty houses in his neighborhood.  Jesse will call McNally if she does return or a ransom demand is made.

The Build

The engine and transmission has been assembled, but I have never seen a fuel pump like that.  The instructions even show this design.  I think I'll remove the bottom portion of the fuel pump.

McNally will return...

Ranger07.JPG

Ranger08.JPG

Ranger09.JPG

Edited by mrmike

All the pictures I have looked at show a "standard" looking fuel pump like those on a Mopar or Chevy.  The filter was a separate unit mounted upstream between the pump and the carburetor.  Now I'll have to fill some sink marks on the transmission pan.    

That fuel pump looks kind of "hokey" to me.  It's too late now as I have clipped off the bottom of the pump and will use just the top since if does look like a fuel pump to me.  If I decide to plumb the engine, I'll use an inline fuel filter.  The heads have been drilled out for plug wires and I'll drill out the distributor for wires.

Edited by mrmike

The Story

McNally drives around the neighborhood and has follows the route Rhonda takes everyday.  He will drive her route and then he'll check the side streets for her.  Rhonda is about 5' 4" tall, 100 Lbs., and 84 years old.  He doesn't find her on his inital drive on her route.  He stops and talks with people walking on the sidewalk and he even made a few friends with those owners dogs.  

He drives and he stops at an intersection and he could hear a dog barking, but it sounded far away.  Then the barking stopped and McNally drove on following the route again.  He calls Jesse and he asks if Rhonda had called or returned and Jesse replies no.  He will keep looking and he starts searching the side streets.  He doesn't find her on any of the side streets and he will start searching abandoned houses.

The Build

I assembled the rear bed and started with the tailgate.  The inner gate didn't match the tailgate and I removed the mounting bar and sanded the inner gate smooth and it matched the tailgate better.  The rest of the bed went together without any issues.  It was time for a mockup to check for fit.  Not bad!  The left rear cab is still warped and if I push down on it, the cab and bed line up perfectly.

McNally will return...

Ranger10.JPG

Ranger11.JPG

Ranger12.JPG

The Story

It was getting late and McNally was hungry.  He stops at a convience store and he grabs a sandwich and a cup of coffee.  He drives back to the route that Rhonda walked daily and he stops to eat and think.  Suddenly, bright lights illuminate the interior of his car and the places his hands on the steering wheel and he waits for a cop to come to his window.  The cop asks why he is there and McNally identifies himself and he says he is working.  

He is told to get out of the car and he is searched with the cop finding his SIG Sauer P227 in his shoulder holster.  The cop asks about the gun and McNally tells him about all the permits he has for it.  The cop takes the permits and his drivers license and hands them to his partner and tells her to run his name through the computer.  A couple of moments later and she comes back and says hi to McNally and that they had met last year when he bought her Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD V8 from her.  McNally returns the greeting and he explains why he is there and what he is doing...searching for a missing person.

The Build

I painted and assembed more of the engine this afternoon.  I got the wires installed on the distributor and will wire the engine.  I might plumb the engine a little with a fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburtor and a line from the PCV Valve.

McNally will return...

Ranger13.JPG

Ranger14.JPG

Ranger15.JPG