Model Cars Magazine Forum

Magnifier (Trumpeter) 1/12 Ford GT40

A fantastic build. ?  With the MENG kit expected to be 3-4 times ? as much this kit is looking pretty good for the money with Magnifer selling for less than $100.  I bought the extra resin spare tire and some 3D parts for the engine and it’s nice to see this kit can be built into a beautiful model.

On 11/24/2020 at 8:27 AM, cobraman said:

Looks fantastic !  I hope mine turns out half as good.

On 11/24/2020 at 1:39 PM, kpnuts said:

Looks amazing

On 11/27/2020 at 4:23 PM, vamach1 said:

A fantastic build. ?  With the MENG kit expected to be 3-4 times ? as much this kit is looking pretty good for the money with Magnifer selling for less than $100.  I bought the extra resin spare tire and some 3D parts for the engine and it’s nice to see this kit can be built into a beautiful model.

On 11/27/2020 at 11:03 PM, slusher said:

Outstanding build!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

On 11/27/2020 at 11:46 AM, tmathew1us said:

That came out great!! I also have this kit in the stash, and its my first 1/12th as well. This seems like the kind of kit that one could get bogged down in for a considerable amount of time, depending on how detailed one wants to get. Congrats on finishing it, came out great!!

Thanks! I initially put off starting this one because I knew it was going to take a lot longer than the typical week I put into the 1/24 scale. My style is to do as much as possible as quick as I can, so 5+ hour stints for multiple days in a row lol.

I kinda forced my self to take this one slow and it made it a lot more enjoyable and relaxed. I only did 1-3 hours maybe 3 to 4 times a week and it helped keep me from getting burned out. It did take roughly 2 months from unboxing to finished pictures though.

On 11/10/2020 at 11:14 PM, vamach1 said:

Looking fantastic so far.  The lack of a distributor is noticeable and is one complaint builders have with this kit.

I  have the same problem with this kit.  I  have searched the internet high and low for a 1/12 distributor but to no avail.  The wires are easy, can get them anywhere but the closest I can find to a cap is 1/16.  Anyone have any ideas where I may get one?

10 minutes ago, MikeK said:

I  have the same problem with this kit.  I  have searched the internet high and low for a 1/12 distributor but to no avail.  The wires are easy, can get them anywhere but the closest I can find to a cap is 1/16.  Anyone have any ideas where I may get one?

I found this for sale on Shapeways.

5C283170-9D22-47F3-894D-4BB0C9E2E4C8.jpeg

DB94621F-1B3C-4AC1-9930-EB084E2E7706.png

Edited by vamach1

On 11/10/2020 at 11:14 PM, vamach1 said:

Looking fantastic so far.  The lack of a distributor is noticeable and is one complaint builders have with this kit.

This looks great, thanx for the tip!  Has a few other pieces that may work better as well, particularly the carb.

• 2 months later...

Looks great.  I know this thread is a couple months old but if I may ask, where did you get the spare tire from? 
Of the 3 or 4 places I found, a couple looked shaky and Bestbalsakits doesn’t look like they will ship to the US unless I spend about 350 euros.

Thanks, Al

Edited by Al NJ

1 hour ago, Al NJ said:

Looks great.  I know this thread is a couple months old but if I may ask, where did you get the spare tire from? 
Of the 3 or 4 places I found, a couple looked shaky and Bestbalsakits doesn’t look like they will ship to the US unless I spend about 350 euros.

Thanks, Al

I think I got this off of Ebay a few years ago.

762CB8A7-23AF-4A00-8104-794391CE07A2.jpeg