Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black cars cleared with Pledge Future Shine

Looks to me like the craft painted cars are smoother than the Vallejo painted Camaro.  The brushed on future sure looks good.  I tried airbrushing some Future on a few spoons and the results were less than acceptable to me.  IDK if pressure problem or tip size.  A spoon I had brushed with Future a while back looked a whole lot smoother than the airbrushed one.

20 hours ago, Sixties Sam said:

What if you want to repaint a model that has been coated with Future? Can you paint over it with decent results, or must it be stripped off with ammonia or some other chemical before painting?

Sam

Actually, I have had quite a bit of luck painting over Future.  I use it as a sealer over areas I have used Bondo spot putty.  After sanding, I apply a thin layer with a brush and let it dry at least a day.  I have shot over this formula many times with a variety of primers and paint finishes without any trouble.  The future keeps the bondo from shrinking or pitting if you allow it to dry a day or two before sanding and future coating. 

Regarding black model cars with Future, I have only did that once.  On this Nascar, I had a mirror like finish with Tamiya clear before decaling.  The decals were terrible and split and cracked like crazy during application.  To seal them in and prevent future issues, I applied Future over this one with a wide brush.  It worked pretty well.  From time to time I will refresh the finish as it seems to dull over time.  I wipe it down with a coat of ArmorAll and it brings back a deep shine.  HTH

IMG_2797.JPG

31 minutes ago, Kmidd65 said:

From time to time I will refresh the finish as it seems to dull over time. 

This is exactly my experience using it for what it is intended for (floor finish). I am unimpressed with it enough for that use that I am hesitant to use it on a model. It's on a sealed ceramic tile floor in the small wet area (toilet and shower) of the master bath. No real foot traffic in most of it because there is a bathmat in the middle. It also gets sticky when you damp mop.

58 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Looks to me like the craft painted cars are smoother than the Vallejo painted Camaro.  The brushed on future sure looks good.  I tried airbrushing some Future on a few spoons and the results were less than acceptable to me.  IDK if pressure problem or tip size.  A spoon I had brushed with Future a while back looked a whole lot smoother than the airbrushed one.

Yes, you are exactly right, for some reason the pledge didn't cover the Vallejo very well. Maybe I needed one or more coats. From what I've tried with pledge, a spoon just doesn't seem big enough to get a good practice gauge on with an airbrush. Most of my spoon paint tests, whether it's with lacquers or craft paints, get pledge brushed on as a clear and they all turn out exceptional. If I could ever get a whole car to turn out as good as some of my spoons, I'd be very happy, LOL.

Craft paints make a great base color coat option, I use them a lot. Just need the right thinner/ratio/type etc. Get that right and it sprays about like any other paint in my experience. Lots of colors, mixable, decent paint over primer and cheap. Most top coats go down to it fine. If it needs a little scuffing just use steel wool. Works for me. It's not all I use but since stock more than 100 colors here at the house between my wife with her ceramics and myself it's often a good option without going shopping. The problem right now with the kids out of school in many areas around here the shelves are pretty barren.

Makes a good base for clear candy paints or Tamiya clear colors too.

Edited by Dave G.