Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors color shift paint type

I have a can of Testors color shift and realize I want to clear coat it but have no idea what type of paint it is. My guess would be a lacquer but I noticed it doesn't say it anywhere on the can and I didn't see it on the product page although I'm sure I could have missed it. So I figured if anyone would know it would be you all...

At the web site it says if you want to clean the nozzle to use mineral spirits. This would indicate to me there is a chance it might be enamel paint. But you're right, they don't give out the secret of what the stuff actually is.

You might find that clear coating makes the color shift less lively. You may need more acute angle changes when viewing to pick up the shift. Maybe.

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

At the web site it says if you want to clean the nozzle to use mineral spirits. This would indicate to me there is a chance it might be enamel paint. But you're right, they don't give out the secret of what the stuff actually is.

You might find that clear coating makes the color shift less lively. You may need more acute angle changes when viewing to pick up the shift. Maybe.

23 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I used some a couple weeks ago. Primed with Duplicolor, Blazing Black, green to copper shift color paint, Wet Look Clear. I found the results less than great. I hope you are more pleased with your results.

Thanks guys, sounds like I will be wanting to skip the clear. I can see where that would possibly change the effect 

37 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

In a word "test".

On a plastic spoon. :)

There are several color shifting fingernail polishes out there. Those are lacquers, and might give better effect that Testor's stuff.  I used PPG automotive Chameleon paints on some models - that looked quite good.  But the colro shifting paint in general looks a bit weird IMO.

Edited by peteski