Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Pontiac Firebird T/A

ModelcarJR

I bought this bagged kit as part of a larger purchase of 50 kits. Some were duplicates and a few had missing parts. To sweeten the deal the seller threw in about a dozen bagged kits that he said were complete but only about 6 of them were. This one was one that was complete. I was inspired by Nacho Z's WIP of this model so I decided the build it too. 

I worked on the body the better part of a day getting rid of all the flash on window openings and wheel openings, sanding out the cut-outs for the T-tops, re-scribing the window trim a bit, giving it a preliminary coat of primer and then adding all the additional parts. I painted the body with Tamiya Orange after a coat of flat white since the orange doesn't cover gray primer very well. One coat of Krylon Clear Lacquer. Here are some pictures:

enhance

enhance

enhance

I am replacing the mirrors in this kit with some parts box mirrors that are tilted a bit so that they will mount correctly and I will pin these mirrors before mounting them. 

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks, All for the comments! 

While rubbing out this build I I kept getting paint on my cloth so I knew I needed more clear. So I gave it another coat of clear and it blushed on me.  So this morning I found a spot in the garage out of the weather and gave it another coat of paint and a coat of Wet Look. There was some orange peel on this orange turd, I mean bird, but I think I finally have it all rubbed out or at least most of it. I've just touched it up with a brush so i think I am done with the paint. everything else is painted (black interior) so there is not a lot of detailing to do on this one. A little foil, some black, silver, stop light red and turn signal amber and the rest is assembly. No need to use a pre-wired distributor on this one as it will become just a shelf sitter. Thanks for looking and I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks, John! I agree with you - the kit mirrors are not usable. 

I finally have this one on wheels but it has been a struggle. I probably have had the chassis, interior and body apart six different times until I could get everything to fit, at least reasonably, and keep the hood on. The first shots are in-progress shots. My favorite way to do black moldings is a king-size Sharpie. I busted the left front fender/front fascia glue joint during all these assemblies  so I fixed it as best I could but its not perfect. The ride height in front might be a little high but its the best I could do and get the hood on right. I'm down to decals and mirrors now. Thanks for looking! ?

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by ModelcarJR
spelling and grammar

Thanks, John! I appreciate your comment!

I thought about the high stance in front and thought of a way to remedy the situation. I removed the elbow mounts in the wheel wells that were added at some point in this kit's evolution, to eliminate the metal axle through the engine. I drilled a small hole in the side of the frame and another in each plastic wheel pin. I glued a piece of small brass rod into the wheel pin and mounted it into the hole in the frame. That lowered the front stance. Now the rear may be a little higher than the front but I will have to live with that. Thanks for looking! ?

enhance