Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mid Engine Transaxle for LS Engine

I don't recall which year Corvette  started using the rear mounted Transaxle but that would be a good place to start looking. I picked up an LS engine with the Trans Axle and the solid Drive Shaft that was from a Corvette kit at a swap meet. 

59 minutes ago, espo said:

I don't recall which year Corvette  started using the rear mounted Transaxle but that would be a good place to start looking...

Not really.

Though Corvette started using a transaxle with the C5 (1997), the proportions and layout make it unsuitable for a mid-engined car.

Unlike boxes made with a mid-mounted engine in mind, the Corvette transaxles (prior to the C8) have the differential mounted at the rear. This makes the drive axles come out at the rear too, and unless you want a goofy-long car, it just doesn't work.

LS1 Rear Mid-Engine AWD (C5 Corvette donor) - Page 3 ...

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Not really.

Though Corvette started using a transaxle with the C5 (1997), the proportions and layout make it unsuitable for a mid-engined car.

Unlike boxes made with a mid-mounted engine in mind, the Corvette transaxles (prior to the C8) have the differential mounted at the rear. This makes the drive axles come out at the rear too, and unless you want a goofy-long car, it just doesn't work.

LS1 Rear Mid-Engine AWD (C5 Corvette donor) - Page 3 ...

The same with the 12 cylinder Ferrari kits.  Similar transaxle concept.  The Shelby Series 1 also has this similar transaxle.

For a detailed midengined transaxle, you would need to look at the Tamiya 360 Modena,

image.png.ea128af049be3d694ad09decd0219d31.png

Tamiya F40
image.png.86920f16fbf830d63a82eca9f7437a5c.png

Tamiya Enzo
image.png.4e5bb95d8b032162f65cf1a8e707e1a3.png

Revell Enzo
image.png.8bbda88c586f1b430b22b916328040c4.png

Revell or Tamiya LaFerrari.

Revell McLaren 570S
image.png.6d4dccec285df332eb1e497b08647cb8.png

Or any of a variety of Porsche 911 kits.   Most of the 911's are rear engined,  so shifting linkage is geared towards the front from the rear of the tranny.  Some Porsches, like the 918 are mid-engine.  The Revell Porsche 914 kit is also mid engined. 

image.png.aea30a29a264593bd9fb80f8748554d7.png

Fujimi offers more detail in the Porsche transaxles on the older (EM series) kits.  But, you would have to evaluate the instructions for that which would best fit your need.

A couple of sources for instructions to evaluate are Spot Model
https://www.spotmodel.com/manuals.php?manufacturers_id=32&language=en

and HobbySearch Japan

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/car/

Edited by Exotics_Builder

45 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

...The Shelby Series 1 also has this similar transaxle. 

Nope. A 6-speed built by RBT in Texas, a development of the older 5-speed ZF.  http://rbttrans.com/

RBT Gearbox

The Revell kit has what is a dead ringer (close enough to easily pass, anyway) for an old ZF 5-speed, mounted upside down, at the rear, with a torque-tube bolted to the front of it.

EDIT: Yup. Just pulled the kit and double-checked. Looks just like an old 5-spd ZF, upside down. No doubt whatsoever. Did I mention I specialized in Panteras for years, decades back, and kinda know the gearboxes?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

Accurate Miniatures McLaren kit(s)?:

Nice assembly representing the big Hewland, but it's a little pricey to buy just for the gearbox.

Last time I looked, the Revell Shelby S1 kit was pretty much unloved and cheap...which is why I bought a bunch of them for the ZF.

And the ZF will take more power than most of the affordable Porsche gearboxes, while gearboxes from exotics would be insanely expensive in the real world.

You'll most likely choose a parts trade for a kit transaxle with one of the guys here which would make life easy, but it may still be worthwhile to mention that if it ends up being buried deep enough under your project, and if you have constraints in length where none of the kit versions will work out well, one other option is to raid your scrap parts pile and concoct your own design, where heat-stretch sprue and other scrap bits can serve as the ribbing and gussets on it.

173856981_Trannyprepaint.JPG.7b3db10ee32887a11ab896697c2118d8.JPG

Edited by Russell C

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nope. A 6-speed built by RBT in Texas, a development of the older 5-speed ZF.  http://rbttrans.com/

RBT Gearbox

The Revell kit has what is a dead ringer (close enough to easily pass, anyway) for an old ZF 5-speed, mounted upside down, at the rear, with a torque-tube bolted to the front of it.

EDIT: Yup. Just pulled the kit and double-checked. Looks just like an old 5-spd ZF, upside down. No doubt whatsoever. Did I mention I specialized in Panteras for years, decades back, and kinda know the gearboxes?

Interesting.  Just checked the instruction sheet and it looked like a standard rear transaxle.  Should have pulled the kit out of the stash and checked.  That would be a prime candidate since readily available on eBay for decent prices.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

I appreciate all the possibilities. I ordered a Shelby, $16 with shipping. I never would have thought of that kit. 
The best looking transaxle I could find was this one from Mad Mike, but I wouldn’t want to separate it from that engine!

317EBDE1-749C-4378-95DC-16C6AD4461A2.jpeg

Edited by Erik Smith

• 4 weeks later...