Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stone walls/foundations using Plaster of Paris

PHPaul

I searched this forum and the WIP diorama forum and didn't see anything on this topic.  If this is old news, my apologies and moderators please delete.

To create what I consider to be very realistic stone walls, I pour a slab of Plaster of Paris in appropriate dimensions and let it cure to a "soft set".  Then, without removing it from the form, I scribe the stone faces into it with a dental pick.

A couple of tips to enhance the realism:

1.  Follow the wall builder's maxim of "Two over one, one over two."  That is, set the stones so the joints fall over a single stone on the bottom and not over another joint.

2.  Scribe the joint in a "V" pattern, beveling the joint to both sides.  This will create greater relief and make the stone faces stand out.

After you're happy with the scribing, apply a wash of black watercolor.  The wash can be quite dark as it will turn grey over the white plaster.  This will soak into any imperfections and help the stones to stand out.

Next, apply washes of earth tones (umbers and browns work well) to random stones.  Then go back and lightly trace the joints to remove the wash and get some of the white plaster back to simulate mortar.

You may wish to add some fine ground foam for moss and some chalk mediums to simulate mud splashed up on the lower courses.stonework.jpg.0fb506fa42c32b570932b9a00d54bf19.jpgstonework1.jpg.2b09261296728421243d097ed73790b9.jpg

It's been many years, but I have done similar types of diorama pieces, including a complete street section with curbs and sidewalks using quick setting, light weight, drywall compound.

You can pick up an 18 pound bag of 45 or 90 minute mud for around $8.00 at any home improvement store.

MD-Proform_Quickset_90.jpg

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I added a foundation of field stone to a doll house built for my wife. I visited the stone and gravel storage area of our village and borrowed about a cup of appropriately sized crushed stone. The structure is made of plywood so I applied a thin covering of grey caulking then fit the stones individually using Paul's pattern suggestion. The stone has slight color variations and rounded edges so it looks pretty good. It was a quick and simple solution.