Model Cars Magazine Forum

does anyone make a good 77 / 78 ford f150 styleside

59 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The AMT kit is the only one there is. You can build a decent model with it. But, it takes a lot of work.

Thank you. i couldnt find one at all. unfortunately, i am finding too much wrong with my kit to bother. for example, the bottom of the body has like a curve to it. its not warped, but mold defect. its only on 1 side. the bed was really hard to get square and overall, its not worth the effort to me. i will have to find another subject. i just love the grill of it. maybe i will do the 80 bronco, its pretty close to the same grill, just not rounded like the 77/78 is

5 hours ago, youpey said:

Thank you. i couldnt find one at all. unfortunately, i am finding too much wrong with my kit to bother. for example, the bottom of the body has like a curve to it. its not warped, but mold defect. its only on 1 side. the bed was really hard to get square and overall, its not worth the effort to me. i will have to find another subject. i just love the grill of it. maybe i will do the 80 bronco, its pretty close to the same grill, just not rounded like the 77/78 is

If you have an older version thats kind of messed up this kit has been in production recently and is easy to find.

25 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

If you have an older version thats kind of messed up this kit has been in production recently and is easy to find.

I think he has the most recent Firestone version, which seems to have warpage issues. I bought two to use for a bed conversion, and found the parts molded in a less than ideal fashion. Aligning the individual bed pieces properly, then getting them all assembled is possible, but as Roger said, it's a bit of a challenge.

Not sure earlier versions would be much better, nor worth the extra cost. Lot of info and legitimate complaints here:

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think he has the most recent Firestone version, which seems to have warpage issues. I bought two to use for a bed conversion, and found the parts molded in a less than ideal fashion. Aligning the individual bed pieces properly, then getting them all assembled is possible, but as Roger said, it's a bit of a challenge.

Not sure earlier versions would be much better, nor worth the extra cost. Lot of info and legitimate complaints here:

i have the firestone version. its honestly, pretty lousy. 

https://www.amazon.com/ERTL-Firestone-Pickup-Scale-Model/dp/B00GA3KMEA/ref=sr_1_1?crid=121W02NSN50QG&dchild=1&keywords=amt+firestone+ford&qid=1610499736&sprefix=amt+firest%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-1

I found this kit today. its not the exact one i want, but i hope its decent quality. hopefully there are no major issues since the kit is sealed. i have had too many times the tires melting the plastic in these older kits https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Revell-Night-Rider-Ford-Flareside-4x4-1-25-Snap-Kit-RARE-SEALED-NEW/373393064257?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Edited by youpey

1 hour ago, youpey said:

iI found this kit today. its not the exact one i want, but i hope its decent quality. hopefully there are no major issues since the kit is sealed. i have had too many times the tires melting the plastic in these older kits https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Revell-Night-Rider-Ford-Flareside-4x4-1-25-Snap-Kit-RARE-SEALED-NEW/373393064257?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I hope you didn't buy that kit. Monogram makes the same truck in 1/24 scale and was reissued fairly recently. 

Edited by Plowboy

1 hour ago, youpey said:

Whick kit, i couldn't find one

Revell reissued it as the Ford Ranger. It's the '80-'81 F-150 4×4 Flareside. It's a little crude by today's standards. But, it's a full detail. Not a snap together like the one posted in your link.

This is the kit Roger is talking about.

932ca57878a5aad4c3465c6d07d2bec8.jpg.289e34443fcf73aff9a7f08e944c7af4.jpg

The Night Rider is good though a bit lacking in detail since is's a snap kit. The plastic tires are a pretty dated looking though easily replaced. I actually think it has the best looking grille of all the various versions that have been done. The bed is also pretty simple, it's either one piece or you only have to glue the fenders on.

Interesting. I always thought it was meant to refect an 1980s (83 to 86 or so)  ford ranger.

not an f150 ranger. Hopefully they are different enough

That one looks a lot like my friends old 85 ranger

Edited by youpey

6 minutes ago, youpey said:

Interesting. I always thought that ranger kit was based on the bronco kit, and was meant to refect an 1980s (83 to 86 or so)  ford ranger.

not an f150

That one looks a lot like my friends old 85 ranger

Ranger was a trim package on the F-series from '65-81, before the compact Ranger came around...

Edited by Rob Hall

I guess I wasted some money.  I was assuming since it was a snap kit there would be some detail loss, but at this point i dont have any built kits of the subject.

I didn't know that ranger was the f150 ranger. Its too late now. 

Hey Miles. Don't be too upset with your self. I had the Night Rider kit, and really liked. It IS a snap kit, so much detail is simplified. For all that, however, with Wheel Swap to install decent tiers and wheels on it, it does loo sharp on the shelf.

The Revell Snap kit shares nothing in common with the Silver/Black 1/24 scale ex-Monogram kit that was just posted.  Underhood detail is lacking, but it should build easily into another acceptable display kit.

Cheers, Alan

50 minutes ago, alexis said:

Hey Miles. Don't be too upset with your self. I had the Night Rider kit, and really liked. It IS a snap kit, so much detail is simplified. For all that, however, with Wheel Swap to install decent tiers and wheels on it, it does loo sharp on the shelf.

The Revell Snap kit shares nothing in common with the Silver/Black 1/24 scale ex-Monogram kit that was just posted.  Underhood detail is lacking, but it should build easily into another acceptable display kit.

Cheers, Alan

Thank you. 

I have wasted money on kits before and i have been trying to get better with finding newer releases since i dont collect models for value, just to build the subject.  I couldn't find any revell snap kits or monogram of the f150 besides this one and scalemates had it listed with the revell bronco kit

I had bought the older f150 kit from monogram molded in red, i think it was from early 80s and it was horrible.  It wasnt the styleside, but similar to the one above. Flairside. 

With usps as slow as its been maybe i will get it by Easter ;)

The good news though, i got it with make offer, so i didn't pay full price. I paid 10 more than i said was my max but i didn't want 10 dollars to be the breaking point since the seller declined my max offer. I guess my max offer wasn't my max since i went higher. I was prepared to walk away after the higher offer was sent 

Im nearly done with my farm model and want to jump into the next

Thanks again 

Edited by youpey

Miles, you can avoid the warpage common to the multi-piece box (with the wrong wheel opening) by getting the corrected resin 73-79 box from MAD resin. Kris makes really nice and correct replacement. 

Edited by mk11