Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brake rotors with calipers

10 hours ago, stitchdup said:

If you are after bigger diameter brakes hobby design do a few different sets in resin and pe. Pretty nice to work with too but they need 18" or bigger wheels.

No, I never use large diameter wheels, I'd say up to 16" as most of what I build are 55-72 cars. Thanks tho.

5 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

No, I never use large diameter wheels, I'd say up to 16" as most of what I build are 55-72 cars. Thanks tho.

Most aftermarket disc brakes and calipers you find will be of the performance variety, and sized for upsized wheels and tires. Cross drilled and/or slotted rotors, as well as four piston calipers are a typical upgrade, so finding stock diameter, solid rotors, not to mentioned factory style single piston calipers is going to be a tall order.

The good news is the rotors are super easy to make, using sheet stock and a circle template. The rotors will take more work, but you can make convincing stock calipers with some effort. I honestly don't think you will find any stock style solid brake rotors and calipers in kit form from an aftermarket source.

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Most aftermarket disc brakes and calipers you find will be of the performance variety, and sized for upsized wheels and tires. Cross drilled and/or slotted rotors, as well as four piston calipers are a typical upgrade, so finding stock diameter, solid rotors, not to mentioned factory style single piston calipers is going to be a tall order.

The good news is the rotors are super easy to make, using sheet stock and a circle template. The rotors will take more work, but you can make convincing stock calipers with some effort. I honestly don't think you will find any stock style solid brake rotors and calipers in kit form from an aftermarket source.

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

A tip I'm going to try soon is to use metal washers. They come in a huge range of sizes for diameter, thickness, and hole size along with having a nice metallic sheen. Just add a piece of plastic filed vaguely into the shape of a caliper and you're ready to go.

Thanks for the tips. The washer idea to me make the most sense and since older car rotors aren't slotted or drilled anyway,they should look fine.  Except for maybe race cars. Now the calipers, have to figure that one out.

21 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Check out ted’s modeling market place. I picked up some chrome and some molded in silver. The are drilled rotors and have the calipers on them.  The ones I bought are made by Pegasus 

Sorry Chaz, just saw your post. I have seen those, seems like there is an issue with availability of Pegasus items.

• 3 weeks later...