Model Cars Magazine Forum

Awesome Find on Ebay....

That painting is beautiful, Mr Leynnwood was truly a master! I think these days with most art created digitally, lots of people don't understand or appreciate the time and talent involved with creating a hand drawn illustration or painting. I'm by no means diminishing digital medium (still takes time, talent and imagination) but face it, there is a point, click and you're done perception associated with it. There's still many of people who still want hand drawn/painted art and are willing to pay for it regardless if it's from an established professional artist or not.

On that note I've always wanted to see a book or books featuring all those amazing artists that created paintings and illustrations for all those old model kits  (automotive, military, sci-fi, etc....) Unfortunately it probably would be difficult since so many have passed away over the years.

Edited by Phirewriter

59 minutes ago, Phirewriter said:

That painting is beautiful, Mr Leynnwood was truly a master! I think these days with most art created digitally, lots of people don't understand or appreciate the time and talent involved with creating a hand drawn illustration or painting. I'm by no means diminishing that particular medium (still takes time talent and imagination) but face it, there is a point, click and you're done perception associated with it. There's still many of people who still want hand drawn/painted art and are willing to pay for it regardless if it's from an established professional artist or not.

On that note I've always wanted to see a book or books featuring all those amazing artists that created paintings and illustrations for all those old model kits  (automotive, military, sci-fi, etc....) Unfortunately it probably would be difficult since so many have passed away over the years.

I think people have always been a little jaded about being exposed to so many quality images for nothing, or next to nothing, that they don't really think about where they come from.

Now, you will have to pry my Wacom stylus from my cold, dead hand, but I don't think it's too much hyberbole to call that era a golden age of illustration.  So many quality paintings were needed for magazines, advertisments, and packaging, and they had to be done quickly.

There is certainly some nice art still being done digitally, but the big difference for the purpose of this discussion is no more originalls for the collectible market.   There are people who will make a painting of a car for you, but it will cost you.

In art school I learned to work with guache for class assignments, and found it OK to work with, but didn't pursue it to any degree on my own. 

Interestingly, I was fascinated by commercial art (particularly the work of Maxfield Parrish) but my art history professor was rather condescending toward that field of art history.

One of my model club friends was involved in the Boston advertising art scene decades ago.  He had many fascinating stories.  The artwork and props generated for each shoot are valued only as a means to get the job done, and are often tossed afterwards.  So many manual processes involved in comp work are lost today. So many materials and products made for this very specific work that the majority of the population won't even have heard of.