Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, MarkJ said:

You're not doing the car from "2 lane black top" are you ?  That might not be the right name, but James Taylor starred in it . Pretty awesome movie back in the day.

 

7 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well Mark, I have no clue what that movie is, so no.  

If you can find a copy, I recommend it. It's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember liking it. 

Your '55 is coming along nicely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 7:19 PM, stinkybritches said:

 

If you can find a copy, I recommend it. It's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember liking it. 

Your '55 is coming along nicely.

Thanks Rob😎

Link to post
Share on other sites

The movie is hilarious. Warren Oates, the sergeant from the movie "stripes", is in it. If you do a google search, you can watch the trailer, which shows you all you need to know about the movie. One of the beachboys is also in it. Dennis Wilson plays James Taylor's mechanic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Hey Mike.....how you doing on that double nickel?

Welllll, painted the second color (two tone) and my masking left a bit to be desired so now have to redo the first color.  Had plans for that today but those plans got sidetracked.  Maybe, tomorrow....maybe.    I really am ready to get this one over with to get started on another different car.

Thanks for asking Bob.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Zippi said:

Mike,  Your on easy street compared to what I've been going through.  

Ya think??   Your new paint job on the Impala looks darn nice.   

11 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

It'll work out Mike. Take your time.

Oh I will Chaz, wanted to get the next color on today but didn't pan out.  Probably not until Monday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Ya think??   Your new paint job on the Impala looks darn nice.   

Oh I will Chaz, wanted to get the next color on today but didn't pan out.  Probably not until Monday.

Mike, I'm not going to hold my breath.  We'll see once I wet sand and polish it.  I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike. After you mask,  maybe try spraying some clear to seal the tape.  The next color won’t bleed through

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Mike. After you mask,  maybe try spraying some clear to seal the tape.  The next color won’t bleed through

 

Thanks Chaz, I'm wondering tho if  the craft paint will adhere to the clear

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got the redo second color coat (the red) on and it came out pretty darn smooth. Now tho, I'm not happy with the black🙄

20210518_151105.jpg.049f1f0f2ee5bcfa61266a2fe8b08906.jpg    20210518_151055.jpg.6bad9412a820987f69adfe81a53feb9e.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zippi said:
1 minute ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Mother black looks smooth. It will pop once you lear it!

Mike.....what don't you like about the black?

Want doesn't show up in the pictures is the roughness.   I really think I need to fine sand it a bit and recoat it (although I'm kind of ready to move on to another model).  I suppose after the sanding I could clear it to see how it looks tho.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Want doesn't show up in the pictures is the roughness.   I really think I need to fine sand it a bit and recoat it (although I'm kind of ready to move on to another model).  I suppose after the sanding I could clear it to see how it looks tho.

Just do the 2400 grit to 12000 grit polishing deal and you will have a mirror like finish. Then finish with good old future or whatever they call it now a days and it will be awesome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Just do the 2400 grit to 12000 grit polishing deal and you will have a mirror like finish. Then finish with good old future or whatever they call it now a days and it will be awesome.

Thanks Mark. I'm gonna try the sanding.  I'm always afraid to sand the craft paint too much.  BTW, my clear of choice lately has been the Rustoleum  Crystal Clear acrylic lacquer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike.  When I tried to lightly sand the Ceramcoat acrylic paint on one of my body's it seem to come off pretty easy.  So.....steady as she goes mate ☺

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zippi said:

Mike.  When I tried to lightly sand the Ceramcoat acrylic paint on one of my body's it seem to come off pretty easy.  So.....steady as she goes mate ☺

Yep....showed some light spots of the red paint underneath so I masked off the red, mixed up the paint (actually a different black paint), got everything ready to spray and boink, the compressor just quit. (BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH cheap Harbor Freight one I have been using just for the occasional spraying for a few years). Luckily I have another old tankless compressor that I have had for many years and it worked just fine. It came out very smooth and actually flawless. Probably will clear it tomorrow afternoon.

Another good thing that came out of the compressor conking out, the Wife said "guess you need to shop for a new one for Fathers Day.😃

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Mike.  Nice work on the paint.  You know what that means with the wife's approval....whatever size you were thinking of you can now go twice as big.  

Edited by Zippi
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Mike.  Nice work on the paint.  You know what that means with the wife's approval....whatever size you were thinking of you can now go twice as big.  

😄  Well there is a limit🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like your color scheme just fine, and I think you'll appreciate it more when you see it with the chrome done (foiled or painted). Looking good!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

I like your color scheme just fine, and I think you'll appreciate it more when you see it with the chrome done (foiled or painted). Looking good!

Thanks Rusty. Hope to clear tomorrow and get on with the foiling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...