Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Chevy "Hot Rod"

TransAmMike

On 4/10/2021 at 7:24 PM, FLHCAHZ said:

Hey Mike! Glad it worked out.  Looking fwd to your progress 

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Looking great, Mike. Like how your upgrading the chassis. The body looks ready for paint. I will stay tuned.

Thanks guys. Next I need to paint the undercarriage, and as I have seen a few 1:1 cars will paint it the same color as the body.  My issue now is what to do about the exhaust as it will have to be a scratch build and I have limited experience doing that.   Also, the headers on the small block.

16 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Thanks guys. Next I need to paint the undercarriage, and as I have seen a few 1:1 cars will paint it the same color as the body.  My issue now is what to do about the exhaust as it will have to be a scratch build and I have limited experience doing that.   Also, the headers on the small block.

Mike, Get you some evergreen tube and put some wire in it . it will allow you to bend it wih less chance of breaking it and will also make it keep its shape instead of just tryin g to return when you let go of the bend. Hobby Lobby is now selling evergreen styrene ,tubes, strips, sheets and other shapes. Wallow out the end of the tube with a #11 blade to make the tube more thin walled to model real aluminum or steel tubing.

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Mike, Get you some evergreen tube and put some wire in it . it will allow you to bend it wih less chance of breaking it and will also make it keep its shape instead of just tryin g to return when you let go of the bend. Hobby Lobby is now selling evergreen styrene ,tubes, strips, sheets and other shapes. Wallow out the end of the tube with a #11 blade to make the tube more thin walled to model real aluminum or steel tubing.

Thanks for the tip Mark.  I actually bought bendable aluminum "wire" 2mm that I made headers with for the '57 Chevy I built a while back. Gonna give that a try.  I did a test build of a muffler a couple weeks ago and it came out pretty darn good.  Will still be a challenge for me tho.

46 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Looking good Mike.  I love the 55 Chevy.  I had a 55 and 57.  The 55 has a more aggressive looking front grill.  What color you going with?

My Dad owned a '55 Belair 2dr Hdtp, a '55 150 2dr sedan a bought literally from a little old lady original owner, 2 ' 57 2 Dr Hdtps (one he gave my when I graduated HS in 1964) and a '57 Convertable he hated because the convertable top frames rattled and if drove him crazy. So I have a lot of Tri5 experience. 

On 4/18/2021 at 7:40 AM, Plowboy said:

It's looking good Mike! It's hard to beat a tubbed out '55 Chevy! I have an old '55 project that I need to finish up. Maybe yours will give me the push I need.

This will be my first tubbed chassis build so I'm hoping it works out.

Thanks Guys, I do have resin collectors from Ron Coon Resins tho they are just a bit too small for the 4- 2mm rosen pieces so will have to do some kind of mod there. And yes, it did take a lot of reshaping to get it as presentable and to fit in the chassis.  

As for the car color, it will be red over black in the traditional '55 two tone scheme.  There I revealed it😃

8 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Thanks Guys, I do have resin collectors from Ron Coon Resins tho they are just a bit too small for the 4- 2mm rosen pieces so will have to do some kind of mod there. And yes, it did take a lot of reshaping to get it as presentable and to fit in the chassis.  

As for the car color, it will be red over black in the traditional '55 two tone scheme.  There I revealed it😃

Hahah. We had to pry it out of you!  Looking forward to your progress Mike