Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Chevy "Hot Rod"

TransAmMike

On 5/28/2021 at 7:58 PM, TransAmMike said:

Thanks Mark.....but now I have discovered the kit firewall won't work with the modified '66 Nova Pro Mod chassis and the Nova firewall will need extensive work. This whole project is getting to be a little too much for my old brain and skill level.

if you have to, just make a firewall with sheet styrene. i'm sure you can figure it out.

Got all the BMF on the roof window trim and wasn't at all satisfied with the results so after 2 days I scraped it all off. I kinda thought maybe the reason was the fairly old foil so ordered and received a perfect new sheet. So I started today on the rear window trim and the foil just slides off. As much as I think this will wind up being a pretty nice build of a cool model I'm about to toss it back in the box and forget about it for a while.

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

That's what I was thinking Chaz.  Maybe a little scuffing up is all it would take.  

I had the same issue recently with BMF and tried scuffing up the parts, but no difference. I was thinking the BMF adhesive was no good.

5 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I did not have any luck getting their “ultra bright chrome” to stick. The “new improved!! chrome” worked.

86CF2BBF-14CF-4F97-98AD-C0AFFE0C14E0.jpeg

I recently used the Ultra Bright BMF and it was pretty awful. Nothing like the older ordinary stuff. Terrible adhesion and really brittle. 

That car is beautiful though! Great job 👌

Edited by Rockford

Thanks for the input guys. I thought the same about it being too slick but I have never had the issue before. I did scuff it up and results were better. I do agree about the Ultra...it's not good at all. I still think the adhesive is not as good now as it was on the older BMF.  

Will be working on it again after lunch.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, JPL-ACE said:

I like the scribe of the doors and trunk. Makes them look like they open. In the distant past I have used the exacto to open several doors. Could not use fine saw as I kept scratching the sides.

Also, Fun Fact. I think I read the W block (such as 409) were made with 427 cu ins. Only a few were produced and were called 427W, I think. So you could put 427 emblems.  Or maybe not...   😉

The Z-11

scarce as hens teeth

2 hours ago, Mike F. said:

I had the same issue recently with BMF and tried scuffing up the parts, but no difference. I was thinking the BMF adhesive was no good.

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

Dang Mike.  Can you hold one end and work your way to the other end?

7 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Do you think the paint is too polished and smooth for the BMF to stick to? 

Update:  This foil sucks.  I roughed up the area, cleaned it and the foil just doesn't stick. I emailed the vendor, hopefully I can get another sheet and it will work. I have a bit of the older foil and will try it again.  I just gotta get this model finished.....I'm about done with it (and I don't mean done as in finished).

Mike, where did you order the bmf from? I ordered some from micro mark and it did not stick very well either. I then ordered some from the actual guy that makes the stuff and it worked, but not as good as it did a few years ago. Have you looked into the new testors paint pens? A guy at short track models forum showed me some of his work using the pen and it really looks good. If I can find a silver testors pen, I'm going to try that on my next build. i hate using bmf even when it sticks. all that trimming is maddening.

49 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Mike, where did you order the bmf from? I ordered some from micro mark and it did not stick very well either. I then ordered some from the actual guy that makes the stuff and it worked, but not as good as it did a few years ago. Have you looked into the new testors paint pens? A guy at short track models forum showed me some of his work using the pen and it really looks good. If I can find a silver testors pen, I'm going to try that on my next build. i hate using bmf even when it sticks. all that trimming is maddening.

Keep us up to date on the Testors paint pen and how it works.

Edited by Zippi

Unfortunately, I've heard a lot of bad things about the recent batches of foil. I got a sheet in 2-3 months ago but haven't used it yet,  I hope it's OK. I still had enough of my last sheet to do the '68 Chevelle, and might have enough left for my next build too, the AMT '71 Duster. After that it's onto the new stuff and cross my fingers it sticks, lol. I have heard that when the foil doesn't stick very well, using something like Elmers or Mod Podge or anything else that can be brushed on to the surface where the BMF will be applied and dries clear, is known to help a lot.

5 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I'm not understanding your posts. Are these actually meant for me?

Sorry Mike, definitely drifting off subject. Back on subject, I have never used BMF but I have  used Molotow Chrome Pens (especially the 1mm) and it is amazing. The 2 mm pens can do a bigger panel but are less good for detail. I have tried masking and using the 2 mm tip and got pretty good results. I think that is limited to the quality of the masking (especially the tape, paper tape wont do).

Am I on subject now or just being a fool?

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

I ordered it off Ebay but the vender is Mark Twain Hobbies. I have ordered from them before, I think actually the Ultra Foil and some paint. I Emailed them and waiting for reply.

I have tried Molotow and other "chrome" pens and it just winds up looking like silver paint.

33 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Unfortunately, I've heard a lot of bad things about the recent batches of foil. I got a sheet in 2-3 months ago but haven't used it yet,  I hope it's OK. I still had enough of my last sheet to do the '68 Chevelle, and might have enough left for my next build too, the AMT '71 Duster. After that it's onto the new stuff and cross my fingers it sticks, lol. I have heard that when the foil doesn't stick very well, using something like Elmers or Mod Podge or anything else that can be brushed on to the surface where the BMF will be applied and dries clear, is known to help a lot.

Thats not good to hear about the foil.  As much as I kinda hate using it, I have not found a suitable substitute.  The idea about the glue sure is a good idea tho. Thanks

9 minutes ago, JPL-ACE said:

Sorry Mike, definitely drifting off subject. Back on subject, I have never used BMF but I have  used Molotow Chrome Pens (especially the 1mm) and it is amazing. The 2 mm pens can do a bigger panel but are less good for detail. I have tried masking and using the 2 mm tip and got pretty good results. I think that is limited to the quality of the masking (especially the tape, paper tape wont do).

Am I on subject now or just being a fool?

It's Ok buddy, I was confused.   I have all the Molotow pens, to me just no substitue for the foil in spite of the issues.

8 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Thats not good to hear about the foil.  As much as I kinda hate using it, I have not found a suitable substitute.  The idea about the glue sure is a good idea tho. Thanks

I'm really hoping mine's OK, maybe I should open the envelope and test it. I have a love/hate with the stuff, it's a necessary evil, LOL, and like you I feel there's no suitable substitute. Sharpie's are OK for a small touch-up, Molotow can't be touched or handled. I have seen some great examples of the trim being taped off and Alclad airbrushed on, but I can't use that solvent based stuff in the house and am not set up to use an airbrush in my shed.

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

6 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

It's Ok buddy, I was confused.   I have all the Molotow pens, to me just no substitue for the foil in spite of the issues.

Look at the top pic on WIP forum for my entry "55 Nomad, a cool HS ride". The pic is blurry and the taping is poor but I think the chrome trim looks pretty good. I used to do the aluminum paint and know how bad that was. Just trying to help.

13 minutes ago, JPL-ACE said:

Look at the top pic on WIP forum for my entry "55 Nomad, a cool HS ride". The pic is blurry and the taping is poor but I think the chrome trim looks pretty good. I used to do the aluminum paint and know how bad that was. Just trying to help.

I did reply to your original post. Actually, I'm pretty sure the first model car I ever built was the very same model, and It was a good 50 years ago also.  Man, we sure are getting old 😃 (My wife's favorite saying about being old is "we're not old, we were just born al long time ago".)

Anyway, the trim does look good. I'm betting this is a pretty new Molotow pen as it seems when the pen gets old the ink dulls some.

Edited by TransAmMike

Seems like there was a special adhesive for those who used regular kitchen foil to replicate chrome trim.  I wonder if you could run a bead of that along the trim lines beforehand.  A quick Google search gave me this, although there seems to be at least one more variant (same bottle, blue print).  Maybe one of our more informed members can chime in...

mcm13.jpg.4148e0e956f349e635a2c4424231dfe3.jpg

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

Seems like there was a special adhesive for those who used regular kitchen foil to replicate chrome trim.  I wonder if you could run a bead of that along the trim lines beforehand.  A quick Google search gave me this, although there seems to be at least one more variant (same bottle, blue print).  Maybe one of our more informed members can chime in...

mcm13.jpg.4148e0e956f349e635a2c4424231dfe3.jpg

Thanks Monty, that looks like a useful product.  If I can't get a replacement I will definately look into it.