Model Cars Magazine Forum

Windows still updating W7....

Hey, Guys...... I was just wanting to make sure that those with Windows 7 were aware of this. Seems that about quarterly that Windows puts out an update for the W7 OS. It's a "malicious software removal tool". I just got one the other day, and manually installed it. I don't go on many sites that would have anything to worry about, but it's good to know they still see a need to do updates for this OS......

Support for Windows 7 ended last year. That means you don't get patches for security vulnerabilities. You should be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for no charge, and I strongly recommend upgrading unless you want you computer breached and mining bitcoin or sending out junk emails. 

On 6/16/2021 at 12:33 PM, JollySipper said:

So, what is the "malicious software removal tool" that keeps showing up as an update?

Pretty sure Windows 7 was equipped with the first version of the integrated security/anti-virus suite now known as Windows Defender. So the anti-virus might still be getting an update or two, but the actual O/S hasn't been touched since 2020, which means you aren't getting those "Cumulative Security Patch" updates anymore. Any exploits that have been found/created on W 7 since last Spring are no longer being closed .

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 12:33 PM, JollySipper said:

So, what is the "malicious software removal tool" that keeps showing up as an update?

Or quite possibly it IS malicious software packaged to look like a genuine Microsoft update...as long as you don't inspect it too closely.

You know the bad guys can can do that, right?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Yes Bill the fact micrisoft update is one of the many tools for spreading malware. One should never click on a link in an email. Rather go to the official microsoft to get updates.

The biggest problem is anything that has the microsoft name. It is far to easy to subvert it. I have been doing some research into how malware operates. It is amazing how easy some of things that can be done one they get you to get the payload on your machine. At minimum your machine will  be compromised to send out emails to infect others, they can hijack your machine to mine or steal crypto currency. Or they can steal your banking information.  

There is an actual, real-live Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool on the Microsoft site and it works on Win7. T.J., it must have been part of the pre-loaded bloatware when you purchased your PC, or was installed sometime afterward. It is not part of Win7.

image.png.069400ff65fe0cbdc7a7ef7701b6126a.png

The Windows 7 Updater is just trying to give you the updates that it sees you haven't downloaded yet. MSFT is not creating any more new updates for W7.

I'm fine with that. I just avoid websites that are gonna cause me trouble.

Updater was using so much resources looking for an opening to download the missing updates that i shut down Updater. Yes, i'm running Win7Pro on 5 or 6 computers around here. The OS that is vulnerable is XP. There's WAY more XP machines running than Win 7.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to understand. You have to do something to allow a virus to get in a computer.

However a computer worm will detect and infect by taking advantage of vulnerabilities that have not been fixed. There is no actions necessary by the user. If you do not update to an operating system that is getting updates you will be opening up your computer to being taken over to spam and infect others, your computer can also be commandeered to mine bitcoin, and if your foolish enough to do financial transactions you can be subject to fraud.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy
Fixed misspelling