Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aoshima Liberty Walk Hakosuka Works Nissan Skyline GT-R

SickBoy

Been working on an Aoshima Liberty Walk Hakosuka Works Nissan Skyline GT-R. I have close to the  full series of these cars, I'm a huge fan of old Japanese cars, especially Nissans/Datsuns(my grandfather used to be a Datsun car salesman) The over the top look of the wide over fenders and super low stance kinda speak to me, its not a look for everyone but I personally love it. I didn't get any pics from the very start but the body comes pre-cut in the wheel arches to fit the over fenders and what will be very wide wheels and tires. The over fenders fit very nicely as is to be expected from the Japanese kits. After sanding the mold lines (very few to speak of) and going over the panel lines I sanded the whole body with 1500 grit Tamiya sanding sponges, two coats of Mr.Surfacer 1500 grey, two mist coats of Tamiya TS-24 Purple, followed by two wet coats of TS-24, two mist coats of Tamiya clear and two wet coats of Tamiya clear. I still need to wet sand and polish before painting the window mouldings. 

I'm going for an OOB box build as the models are faithful recreations of the real cars and in my opinion Liberty Walk already did a great job modifying the car. I am doing some work on the interior and wheels today, will have an update in a day or so. Thanks for looking

0605211306.jpg

0605211306a.jpg

0605211306b.jpg

Edited by SickBoy
forgot a word
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Good start. Hard part out the way. Very enjoyable kits to build the Aoshima LB Works series.

Thanks, definitely enjoyable, wanted to start with this one with the pre cut wheel arches before I give cutting one up a go.

12 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Very Cool! Love the color

Thanks

I haven't made near the progress I thought I would this week, got busy with other things. I'm still working on the interior and chassis, will update on those soon. 

I did manage to finish painting and assembling the wheels, I still need to remove the mold line from the tread of the tires. The tires are very nicely molded otherwise. I left the outer barrels of the wheels in the original chrome, it's a very nice chrome finish and honestly I was not really in the mood to strip and refinish them. The center hubs were painted in Tamiya TS-87 Titanium Gold decanted and airbrushed and then two mist coats of Alclad Candy Golden Yellow in an attempt to get an anodized gold look. The flat black and silver details were hand painted Tamiya acrylics. 

Long winded for a couple of wheels but anyhow, heres a few pics, thanks for looking

0622212117.jpg

0622212117a.jpg

0622212156.jpg

0622212157.jpg

0622212157a.jpg

• Like 1

Have made some progress over the last few days. Finished mounting the tires to the wheels and got the fronts attached to the struts. Masked off the body to airbrush the window mouldings, came out nice and clean, no bleed through or anything. 

Also finshed painting the interior and finished the front seats. I cut the headrest off the front seats to give it the vintage race seat look and added lap belts. Getting closer to final assembly, hopefully this weekend. Few pictures below, Thanks for looking

0626212139a.jpg

0626212144.jpg

0627211102.jpg

0629212116.jpg

0629212114a.jpg

0629212114.jpg

27 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Nice work here Josh. Great colour choice, wheels look fantastic. I have been thinking about buying one of these kits, you’ve convinced me to go for it. 

Thanks Steve. It is a fun build. I actually have most of the entire series of these kits. This is my first one of the set and I'm loving it, would highly recommend.

With that said, this particular kit is very minimal in parts and details, adds to the fun of adding your own details. My only complaint is the chassis has a weird textured finish to it which is fine for the most part except the exhaust system. I probably have over an hour just in sanding the exhaust smooth. 

Thanks for looking, happy I could inspire someone!

Got a little more bench time in today, the interior pieces are detail painted and ready for installation. This kit is somewhat different as far as the interior assembly goes, the door panels and dash glue to the inside of the body and the seats and console glue to the chassis. Hopefully all goes well when it comes time to marry the two.

Here's a few pics, hope to have it finished this weekend but with festivities and such tommorrow we shall see. Thanks for looking.

0703211944.jpg

0703211955.jpg

0703211954a.jpg

0703211956.jpg

Edited by SickBoy
Forgot pics

I got the rest of the interior installed to the rolling chassis, just needs the roll bar to be complete. Also finished some photo etch details on the radiator, headlight surrounds and oil cooler. The finish line is near.

As always, Thanks for looking.

0703212236.jpg

0703212236a.jpg

0703212237.jpg

0703212203a.jpg

0703212203.jpg

2 hours ago, carbuilder1950 said:

What a nice kit and highly detailed. Looks like a lot of fun.

Love the body color and the interior color you chose, and all the interior detail work you've done.

And I love the wheels.

Can't wait to see more.

All the best,

Dave

Thanks Dave, the photography is not the best as Im looking back at some of them. Was my first time trying wood grain on the interior and in very small areas with what is supposed to be a dull wood and not glossy. Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it!

20 hours ago, Sandboarder said:

Fantastic work so far!!

Looks like you’ve taken advantage of the way these kits are designed. The body is looking great, the interior detailed up nicely and the stance and wheels will make it shine.

Thanks Chris, appreciate it!