Model Cars Magazine Forum

I had to go to HL and they had all kits 40% off. My wife loves Coke stuff so with this kit 40% off, I had to get it. She was gone this weekend, so I built it today before she came home. 
It’s completely box stock box art build. 
A fun kit with a challenging bed. Other than the bed, it went together well. 

F553CADE-1371-4281-92C1-0483E83E9638.jpeg

AA0B8869-E37A-41F2-807F-EB21ADAD3524.jpeg

F04B700D-8200-4707-A9AB-102F0A7490B1.jpeg

D5A3E967-A86D-4762-8D55-71290C275C87.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Nice looking and a very quick build Scott.  I bought this kit as well when HL had their 40% off.  What is the issue with the bed?

Thanks.  The bed is just difficult to assemble. There are no tabs, nothing to help line it up. It also requires 4 hands to hold it together. All in all it is just a bunch of parts with vague attachments. 
The rest of the truck is good, but typical AMT fit and quality. 
In the end it built up really nice, and allowed mr to do it in less than 12 hours. (Hot dry weather helped too)

51 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Thanks.  The bed is just difficult to assemble. There are no tabs, nothing to help line it up. It also requires 4 hands to hold it together. All in all it is just a bunch of parts with vague attachments. 
The rest of the truck is good, but typical AMT fit and quality. 
In the end it built up really nice, and allowed mr to do it in less than 12 hours. (Hot dry weather helped too)

Thank's for the info on the 55 box.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Great work for a one day wonder!   Now we need to know your wife’s reaction!

She loved it. She comes from a family that loves classic cars/trucks and during our 30 years of marriage we have both had a few. So, with her love of Coke and classic vehicles, she thought it was wonderful. 

I also built her a 1957 1/16th scale T-Bird in pink, she liked that too. I posted that about 8 months back.

• Like 1

Nice job Scott. I just finished a '55 Step-side (see my "under glass" post). Pretty sure it's the same as the styleside, just different bed.  Same issue with the bed, you do almost need 4 hands to put it together. Also, the radiator sits too high as I did n ot realize and the hood doesn't go all the way down as I can see in your build.  Good job👌

3 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Nice job Scott. I just finished a '55 Step-side (see my "under glass" post). Pretty sure it's the same as the styleside, just different bed.  Same issue with the bed, you do almost need 4 hands to put it together. Also, the radiator sits too high as I did n ot realize and the hood doesn't go all the way down as I can see in your build.  Good job👌

Yep, I forgot I had to trim the radiator also to get the hood down. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/2/2021 at 3:31 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Great work for a one day wonder!   Now we need to know your wife’s reaction!

agreed. like it a lot - and for only one day i am wondering about who fast your paint was drying? how have you made this? thats awesome!

I agree with you Scott, I build this kit some years ago and unlike you, I did not have the patience to deal with the bed so I took a step side bed from a 64-65-66 Chevy and grafted it on the rest of the truck and you're right , the rest of the truck builds quite nicely. It's cool to see a build box stock. You did a fine job with it especially in one day. That's quite impressive.