Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meng F350 super duty

The kit depicts a 2008-2010 F350 in the XLT trim level. With a bit of painting/stripping some of the chrome, you could feign an XL, Lariat, King Ranch, or Harley-Davidson trim. Model Car Garage makes a photoetch set for it to make the badging possibile. Engine is the 6.4 liter Power Stroke Diesel V8 coupled to a 5R110 automatic transmission, and as others mentioned the exhaust is all wrong. It's a gas engine style and lacks the Diesel Particulate Filter system introduced with the 2008 MY emissions standards. The 6.4 Power Stroke was the last of the Navistar International built engine, before Ford switched to the in-house designed and built 6.7 liter "Scorpion" version of the Power Stroke V8. Both sets of wheels in the kit are inaccurate. The ones on the box art are a badly rendered set of the 2011-2016 18" optional wheel found on XLTs, while the 7 spoke design is also an 18" wheel, but it represents a 2013-2016 Platinum trim wheel, which was only available as a 20" wheel. I've got the real thing parked out in the driveway, although mine features the ZF 6 speed manual transmission. But other than the wheels, I have to say the body, interior and chassis are very faithful to the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 7:54 PM, Casey429 said:

The kit depicts a 2008-2010 F350 in the XLT trim level. With a bit of painting/stripping some of the chrome, you could feign an XL, Lariat, King Ranch, or Harley-Davidson trim. Model Car Garage makes a photoetch set for it to make the badging possibile. Engine is the 6.4 liter Power Stroke Diesel V8 coupled to a 5R110 automatic transmission, and as others mentioned the exhaust is all wrong. It's a gas engine style and lacks the Diesel Particulate Filter system introduced with the 2008 MY emissions standards. The 6.4 Power Stroke was the last of the Navistar International built engine, before Ford switched to the in-house designed and built 6.7 liter "Scorpion" version of the Power Stroke V8. Both sets of wheels in the kit are inaccurate. The ones on the box art are a badly rendered set of the 2011-2016 18" optional wheel found on XLTs, while the 7 spoke design is also an 18" wheel, but it represents a 2013-2016 Platinum trim wheel, which was only available as a 20" wheel. I've got the real thing parked out in the driveway, although mine features the ZF 6 speed manual transmission. But other than the wheels, I have to say the body, interior and chassis are very faithful to the real thing.

Would these BNL Resin Wheels be correct?

EB26818B-D808-4198-920F-DBD46022820D.jpeg
My guess is no, but thought I’d check. There’s no description in the listing.

Scenes Unlimited offers quite a few sets, too. Might be something there that might be correct. I know he offers correct Alcoa-style wheels if you’re doing a dually conversion.

Edited by vincen47

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 7:58 AM, Jim B said:

That's good information, Casey.  Knew about the exhaust, but not about the wheels.

Well, now that you've teased us, let's see it.

Better late than never I suppose. Mine is actually an F-250 and also has the 6 3/4' box, but in scale one is a moot point and the other is remedied with some well placed cuts. The only changes from this picture are it's now fitted with the black headlamp housings from the Harley-Davidson model, and it also has the fatter lower air dam from a later '08 truck. Which also leads into something I forgot to mention in my other detailed post. The narrow air dam was only found on "Job 1" '08 Super Duty 4x4 pickups.  Starting with "Job 2" they were fitted with an air dam that's roughly 6" tall as opposed to the 2" air dam in the kit. 2 wheel drives kept the small air dam. So to be completely picky, the kit depicts a Job 1 2008 F-350 XLT. Job 1s were built from approximately January of 2007 to July of 2007, Job 2 from July of '07 thru the early part of '08, and Job 3 was the remainder of 2008. The Job numbers started over for 2009, and do every year thereafter. The trucks are divided by "Job", each of which had running changes and changes in availability of options, hence the designation.

f2501-vi.jpg

Edited by Casey429