Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Ford Motor Home

• 4 months later...

This project has been put on the back burner for a few months. I got to a point that I needed to start on the interior of the "home". This became a challenge I was putting off. 

In the following months I have been teaching myself TinkerCad and now Fusion 360.  I have also purchased a medium format Resin 3D printer. Now the solution is much easier. 

I designed everything in the following pictures in TinkerCad except the Stove, that I cut apart from a 6 burner to make a 4 burner, hollowed it out and I will be adding the "Glass" to the front. The original stove I got from Thingiverse as well as the Toilet. Both were modified from their original design. Everything else was my design. 

I will add "Glass" or a shower curtain to the shower, a tube to the table for a leg, and a few more scratch built items. The interior walls will be styrene sheet, not printed. 

What would have taken me weeks to scratch build, I designed in one day and will print in one more. There are a lot of separate parts that in the pictures are together, and they will all print grey, no colors. 

This Motorhome is moving closer to being a reality. 

2022-04-06 17_28_04-3D design RV Interior _ Tinkercad.png

2022-04-06 17_28_41-3D design RV Interior _ Tinkercad.png

2022-04-06 17_29_12-3D design RV Interior _ Tinkercad.png

2022-04-06 17_30_53-.png

I have discovered that 3D printing is not a perfect science. There is a lot of trial and plenty of error. Strangly simple large boxes don't print well, but complex shapes do. The up side is that the large boxes are easy to fix. The complex shapes are, complex to build. 

So, as you may be able to see from the picture, the toilet, sink, shower pan, toilet paper roll and holder all printed fine. However the cabinets all seem to have warped sides. Changing angles may help, or some of these may best print flat with no supports. For these large box shapes, I will just cut off the face and build the rest out of styrene. The Stove turned out very good other than the small holes in the front face. I think this was just due to my hollowing it out too much. 

So I think in the end I am happy with the smaller parts and I will just make the larger box shapes out of sheet styrene, possibly safe the faces if they are ok. 

20220410_174707.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...