Model Cars Magazine Forum

1938 Ford

Hi Paul, I can help you with this conversion but alas, I never did arrive at a good way to do the grille and for my application i didn't need hood side panels although I don't see them as being too horrible to fabricate.  But that grille, wow, finely spaced bars, curving in two directions at once and angled as well, sheeesh!

You can see my conversion here.

First up to clear up some common misconceptions.  A 38 has little in common with a 37 Ford, but has much in common with a 39 or 40 Ford. You could certainly use the headlight buckets and lenses from a 37, even though the lenses on a 38 have a fuller curve than the flatter 37 version, I don't think it would matter too much in 1/25th scale.

Secondly, the Black Force is very customised and would take a lot of cutting and shutting to get closer to stock.  Dr Kerry suggested I look at the Black Force grille and I must confess to not doing that yet as my BF kit is deeply buried in storage at the moment.  I am going to guess it will still take some work.

I recall that Early Racing Classics did a 38 or 39 Standard racecar resin body once.  No idea if they are still in business or not - I think you had to look for Karl Stark on Facebook.

Hope this helps.  

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton

Hi Paul!

Lucky for you, Testor's had a Coupester kit, actually a variation on the Boyd Smoothster kit, but with different nose (like a 38), and a fixed roof. I know you can mash them up, as I did for a friend of mine who wanted one. My pics show the coupester kit, with the Smoothster removable roof fixed solid instead of the Coupester original roof. Might work... 

See pix...

CT 

DSCF3025.JPG

DSCF3024.JPG

• Like 1

Is there a more stock appearing version of that 38 Claude ? It looks like there are two to three iterations of it ?

You did a great job on that ! I'd be inclined to put a wash on that grill though to shadow the recesses ( can still be done on a finished model)..

12 hours ago, Dave G. said:

Is there a more stock appearing version of that 38 Claude ? It looks like there are two to three iterations of it ?

You did a great job on that ! I'd be inclined to put a wash on that grill though to shadow the recesses ( can still be done on a finished model)..

Hi David!

Yes, I made a few mods, mostly to the hood sides blisters. It's just a curbside (no interior), destined as a gift for a customer whose grandson wanted a copy of the real car I build for his Grand Pa... (see pic below). But nonetheless, it might do as a base for our friend's project...

CT 

DSCF2966.JPG

On 9/28/2021 at 7:31 AM, Dave G. said:

Are you addressing the OP or my post above ?

I was thinking about the OP, but if it applies to you as well, it's all good.  After looking at the Lindberg kit, the grille is very different from the one Claude shows above. Also, now I think about it, isn't the Lindberg kit 1/24?

46 minutes ago, Kit Basher said:

I was thinking about the OP, but if it applies to you as well, it's all good.  After looking at the Lindberg kit, the grille is very different from the one Claude shows above. Also, now I think about it, isn't the Lindberg kit 1/24?

OK.

And yes 1/24.