Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rusty Old Skool '40 Ford Coupe Hotrod

Olskoolrodder

My Dad and I had been wanting to do a "Buddy Build" for a few months but we'd been pretty busy at my house and I had other projects on the bench, but early last week I finished the last project on my bench and I had a little time so we got started. As we've both always liked '40 Fords and he happened to have several Lindberg kits laying around (for whatever reason, he enjoys torturing himself by buying and building those L700 kits, and had several that came with the '40 Ford and flatbed trailer 😜) we decided to build that.

Mine was based primarily on an artist's picture that I'd found online (first pic), which took some creative thinking and a little kit-bashing. The wheels are from the AMT Pontiac Catalina kit, tires are AMT Part Pack (2 each from the 4 pack, wide and thin white walls). I still have an old build (2009 I think) that I did before we had a house fire back in 2011, one of the 3 kits that semi-survived was a Revell '49 Merc Custom, I still had most of it, so now parts of it will live on in this build. I used the steering wheel, engine, and that "beehive" oil filter. Getting that Cadillac-ish big block in the Lindberg's (much) smaller engine bay required an engineering degree...er, I mean a tub of butter and 1:16 scale resin sledge hammer...sorry, I mean it required a LOT of grinding, cutting, and test fitting, LOL 🤣 I finally realized it just wasn't going to go in there (without major fabrication work) with the molded in transmission from the Revell kit, so out came the razor saw and I grafted on the Lindberg's much smaller transmission. Otherwise it was an easy swap, and having survived a house fire, it was already weathered/looked ratty from the heat and smoke from the fire, LOL! 😜😁

Paint was Tamiya with Rustoleum black primer misted over it and hand painted flames and the rust, using craft paints that I got at WalMart for 50 cents each. 

I enjoyed this build with my Pops. It's not a great kit, but it's simple enough to work with and build. It was my first time actually looking at one of these. Seems to me that Lindberg was definitely looking at AMT's venerable old '40 Ford Coupe kit when they designed this one as it's really similar, but much less refined. Anyways, here's the build. My Dad isn't quite finished with his yet, but I'll add pics of where it's at right now too. This was my 7th completed build for 2021 (3rd one finished in the last month, with 2 of those being completely built in the last 30 days) Thanks for looking :)

IMG_20211029_150324_489.jpg

20211029_144641.jpg

20211029_144656.jpg

20211029_144705.jpg

20211029_144720.jpg

20211029_144735.jpg

20211029_144742.jpg

20211029_045032.jpg

20211029_045043.jpg

Edited by Olskoolrodder
  • Like 1

Current pics of my Dad's build (same kit, started on the same day). The only things he has left as far as I know is to build the interior and final assembly (he's not a member here, so he can't add it. Where I went Ol skool hot rod, he went more modern street rod. IDK what paint he used, but he did some cutting (inner fenders) to fit a set of Nascar wheels wrapped in treaded tires from his parts box, found the decals in his leftovers box, and photo-reduced the issue of Scale Auto magazine and the For Sale sign (he actually made the sign so I could use it with mine). 

received_365633785352952.jpeg

received_416504709837350.jpeg

received_926973211508511.jpeg

received_944062122874094.jpeg

received_1067161564029261.jpeg

received_4536053813175153.jpeg

Thanks so much, guys 😊🙏 (and yes, the best part was definitely doing it with my Pops 😁👍)

He's finished with his now, I will try to get some pics to add in to this thread, it turned out great (AND he snuck in an AMT '40 Ford sedan delivery buildbefore he actually started on his yellow Lindberg coupe 😳🤣)