Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Phantom Mack R800 Steel Hood Apocalypse Camper

I am not an expert on Mack trucks, I do know that the R cab could be had with a steel hood, but not sure if it would look exactly like this. I am taking a DM800 by MPC and putting a cab from an AMT R685ST on it and reworking the nose to fit. I never liked the offset DM cab. 

I hated how long the metal hood looked on the DM800, the fenders seemed to stick out way too far and give it a strange look. I have removed 3/4in or 18 3/4 scale inches out of the front. I moved the radiator back, and shortened the frame. 

I also had to move the engine back a bit and relocate the front mounts and make new rear mounts. 

I have a plan for this, I will be adding a 20ft shippin container to the back and making it into a "camper". The wjole thing will have a post-apocalyptic feel. After a major SHTF event this truck was cobbled together out of what parts could be found. 

I am currently cutting up the plastic hood parts to make them fit, but then I plan to cut them out of some .015 brass sheet. I can then add some light damage to them. I may also do the same to the fenders or use thin aluminum. 

Here is where it is at right now. 

20211120_153738.jpg

20211120_153726.jpg

20211120_153718.jpg

I have worked a bit more on the R800. More hood fitting, made a hole for the air cleaner. Redid the exhaust so it fits. added dechromed tanks from the DM800. I had to shorten the fron axle as the tires stuck out 1/4in on each side. I ireworked all the steering linkage and cut down the steering shaft and made a hole in the fender for it. I had to cut down the R685ST air cleaner to fit over the fender. Made new fuel tank brackets. 

When I first had this idea, I thought I could just swap the DM cab wih the R cab. No, way more work than that. In some ways I think I would have been better off puting the steel hood on the R685ST

So, if the cab is an R, and the engine is a 865, would this be a R865?

20211121_135309.jpg

20211121_135314.jpg

20211121_135329.jpg

20211121_135357.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

• 3 weeks later...

I have been dividing my limited time between 3-4 projects. I was able to get some time on this one today. I got the interior finished up. Nothing crazy, just a basic interior, I will dust it up later to give it a warn and dirty feel. 

The frame is painted, engine painted, and body parts in primer. I will be painting the wheels, but until I decide for sure on a body color, they are black. 

Here is another mock up to show progress. 

20211212_130531.jpg

20211212_130507.jpg

20211212_130500.jpg

I just placed my order for the 20ft shipping container that will make the "Camper" on the rear. Will not arrive till after Christmas, but its on the way. 

I am thinking about converting this to a 6x6. Any suggestions where to get a driven front axle and transfer case? Maybe some  bigger front and rear wheels/tires?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the Shipping container kit in the mail. I spent the day cutting and modifing it to fit the truck. I have some new wheels on/tires on the way and will be making a driven Rockwell for the front. 

I used the hold down clamps used on the trailers to make a frame to hold the box to the truck. This allows me to get it set in place, and then pull it off to do the paint and detils. It also replicates how it would be held down in real life. 

More to come.

20211226_153421.jpg

20211226_153427.jpg

20211226_160121.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

More work on the truck today. I was able to get some paint on the cab and some work on the box. I added a chimney for a wood stove inside. Window, door. I also got my tires and wheels in the mail. 

I painted the door on the right side a different color and one of the hood sides tan. Sme dents in the fenders will add to the worn look I want. 

I was also able to gett he front axle cut to size and I made new springs to get the axle under it. 

20220108_182958.jpg

20220108_182954.jpg

20220108_182942.jpg

20220108_173136.jpg

20220108_173129.jpg

I've been able to get more done on the truck. I am almost done with the weathering on the truck part, and I have just started on the camper portion. I have made some 55 gallon drums out of aluminum. These will get weathered and stuck on the rack above the cab. 

I am adding a rack to the roof from wood, this will get various things stuffed under a tarp. 

I had the decals on both sides, but the tape ulled off one side. I figure I will just make that part of the weathering./damage. 

20220116_184802.jpg

20220116_184752.jpg

20220116_184738.jpg

Yeah, this one is coming along great. Don’t worry about the decals. Happy accidents are great with builds like this one. Containers are always getting damaged in shipment and patched up. Make some weld scars and use a slightly different shade of green on the patch and it’ll look awesome. 

33 minutes ago, vincen47 said:

Yeah, this one is coming along great. Don’t worry about the decals. Happy accidents are great with builds like this one. Containers are always getting damaged in shipment and patched up. Make some weld scars and use a slightly different shade of green on the patch and it’ll look awesome. 

Good suggestion, I will have to do that. 

1 hour ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Man that looks Awesome! This is a really cool project! What is your height going to be with added roof rack?

I am not sure on overall height. I have thought about it and still need to measure it. I know it will be close to the limit.