Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 1965 Impala SS 396

Mike C.

Thanks Mike. I cant remember who makes these I'll have to go find the box and see. The wheels and tires it came with were pretty ugly and nobody makes a '65 in 1/18 so I got this one. I always liked the tailights on the '65 . Its funny It says SS on the box but it's missing the SS badging on the front fender. That's China for ya. 

• 2 weeks later...

The box says 1/24. Diecast models wholesale has them for I think it was $15.49. but they only have them in that pale yellow or silver. There is a black ($16.99) one but they call it a low rider. It's the same car but with different wheels/tires.

2 hours ago, Geno said:

I've been wanting on of these '65 Impala's, if I remember correctly Welly lists them as 1/24, scale, is that correct or is it 1/25? Thanks, Geno.

I've seen several in person and though I've never been able to measure one, my impression was that it is, as some of the Wellys are, on the small side--maybe 1/26. I've never bought one because the roof has never looked right to me but darned if it doesn't look good in Mike C's pictures, so the next one I see might end up following me home.  Nice model, Mike! B)

On 12/1/2021 at 8:38 PM, Mike C. said:

Its funny It says SS on the box but it's missing the SS badging on the front fender. That's China for ya. 

As you found out, it's not a correct replica.  It is an Impala with an Impala SS interior.  It has the regular Impala emblems and lower body trim.  The SS has "Super Sport" scripts on the front fenders, "Impala SS" on the grille and rear panel, and wheel opening moldings but no other lower body moldings.  The bucket seats came only on the SS model.  Nice job on the upgrades, Mike.  

Edited by Motor City

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, after seeing how nice yours looked, I ordered one from Diecastmodelswholesale. Just gave it the once-over. 

Measured the wheelbase and it scales to about 1/25.9. Should look okay sitting on the shelf next to my Revell diecast 1/25 lowrider convertible (green with flames). If not, it'll look good with my other slightly undersized Wellys--'65 GTO, '65 Riviera, and '70 Buick GSX. 

Mine came with fair representations of '67 Rally Wheels. I like those wheels, so I'm gonna leave 'em alone (after detail painting, of course). Will probably lose the whitewalls, though--not a WW fan. 

I got the metallic gray one (darker than silver). Only other stock one in stock was beige, which didn't spin my windmill at all. Would have bought black if they'd had it--I've accidentally managed to collect something like 14 black diecast Chevies of various kinds--but they only had the lowrider in black, which didn't interest me. I like the color. 

The roof's not right, but it's not as bad as I'd remembered it from the ones I've seen before. I can live with it. 

I think this will be my very next Snake-Fu project. Mike, do you mind if I post photos in this thread, or would you prefer I start my own? B)

what ever is easier for you. I've always loved the 1/18 '67 from ERTL. They do a 427 and a 396. That one was done really nice. looks good with mags as well. Nobody has ever done a '65 in 1/18 so I got this one.

67 imp blk ft 75%.jpg

67 imp blk rr 75%.jpg

67 imp tw sd 75%.jpg

Edited by Mike C.

Those look great! Wish they did them in 1/24-25. Closest I've found is the Jada, which isn't horrible but also isn't great. (At least there we have the AMT kit, and I've also rescued a couple original promos.) 

I spent about 2 hours this morning Snake-Fu'ing the Welly '65. Mine had an unacceptable gap between the left headlights and the body, and much of the time was spent filing and scraping trying to get an acceptable-looking fit. (The black paint on yours helps hide this.) Started black-detailing the grille, and touching up the taillights. I originally thought this would be a quick, easy 2-3 hour Snake-Fu job; now it looks like it's gonna be three solid mornings of work, maybe four. Oh well, I'm motivated to gitter done. ;)

Oh, and I compared it with an AMT '66 promo body. The Welly is just a hair narrower, but maybe 3/8" shorter. It'll do--just barely.