Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'83 Cavalier (promo)

ClassicDarts

I was going to repaint the entire car a different color, but later decided that the promo's original body color was fine.

Thanks to some impatience and lack of experience with molotow pens, it's not nearly as tidy as I'd hoped it'd turn out... could've been worse, I suppose. haha

thumbnail_IMG_3235.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3234.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3231.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3232.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3233.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3237.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, Zack!

It's ood to me that they didn't include the promo wheelbacks and tires in the kit version. (since the ones the kit uses are clearly designed for the custom widebody parts)

I wonder if: A. the mold for the Cavalier still exists, and, B. if it does, that the promo wheel parts are included in it if it were ever to be re-released (just not used in the '82/83 kits)... 🤔

Steve, it would definitely be an odd choice of kit for MPC to reissue today! This kit was fun to build, but Cavaliers of any vintage don’t exactly have an enthusiast following… I can’t remember the last time I saw a 2000s Cavalier, let alone an ‘80s model. 😂

• Like 1

Looks great. The color combination was very popular when this car was produced. Something I noticed on the window trim. You mentioned having problems with the Matlow pen. Chevrolet had a problem with the black paint on the window side trim wearing thin and the polished aluminum trim underneath showing thru, much like your window moldings.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, StanGlover said:

Steve, it would definitely be an odd choice of kit for MPC to reissue today! This kit was fun to build, but Cavaliers of any vintage don’t exactly have an enthusiast following… I can’t remember the last time I saw a 2000s Cavalier, let alone an ‘80s model. 😂

That's true. Give it another five years or so? ...still probably not. lol

There's still a handful of '95-05 Cavaliers and Sunfires kicking around where I live... but they're uncommon enough now that when I see them, I actually take notice. (something I can't say I thought would ever happen)

32 minutes ago, espo said:

Looks great. The color combination was very popular when this car was produced. Something I noticed on the window trim. You mentioned having problems with the Matlow pen. Chevrolet had a problem with the black paint on the window side trim wearing thin and the polished aluminum trim underneath showing thru, much like your window moldings.  

Thanks! I'd forgotten all about this because I haven't seen an 80's J-body in ages. (other than one '85 or-so Sunbird convertible I occasionally see driving around in the summer)

But as soon as I read that line, I could instantly picture it. :D

I feel better about the botched chrome work now. It's authentic... that's the ticket!

Edited by ClassicDarts

On 12/10/2021 at 11:57 AM, Dan Hay said:

My first car was an 86 Cavalier Z24 hatchback. I would love to build a model of it, but it has a different front end than this kit. Even so, your build brings back a lot of memories! Thanks for sharing it. 

Thanks for the comment, Dan.

I suppose it wouldn't be all that difficult to do depending on how in-depth you wanted to get with it. It'd need the 84-87 front fascia... I think one could get away with reworking the '82/83 hatchback front. You could keep everything from the front bumper down the same (other than filling in the outboard vent inlets) Then, redoing the upper half to have the more rounded-off, upright nose with quad headlights, etc.

The taillights are different, but the exact same size and shape... and the rest of the back is the same of course.

The dash is completely different, but maybe not that necessary to do?

All that said, It's certainly easier said than done... and I know that I couldn't do it. But... possible!

Edited by ClassicDarts
  • Like 1