Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT "Miller" GMC Astro 95

I've started on this kit, and fairly soon into it I've hit a block that I'm not sure what needs to be done to correct it.  

This is the Detroit Diesel 8V-71 (I think it's the same engine as in the Pete 352 kit).

In the photo, I'm holding the parts in place per the locations on the instructions to test fit everything.  You can see that there is quite an "angle" on the belt and pulley assembly that obviously isn't right.

Anyone had this issue  ?

belts.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, OldTrucker said:

I did on the GMC Astro kit I'm building. I just opened the hole up a bit, will have to do the same with the fan.

Thanks for the reply !

I'm guessing then you also nipped off the pin that came through that bracket on the center pulley ?   I'm assuming that pulley shaft shouldn't really extend past the bracket.

10 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

I'm building the same truck. I didn't notice the leaning pulleys until I seen this post. I'll have to go fix that on mine! I'm working on the cab height at the moment so if you have any questions on your build just let me know or take a look through the pics on my thread.

LOL... yes the "leaning tower of pulleys"    😉

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2022 at 11:12 AM, doorsovdoon said:

I'm building the same truck. I didn't notice the leaning pulleys until I seen this post. I'll have to go fix that on mine! I'm working on the cab height at the moment so if you have any questions on your build just let me know or take a look through the pics on my thread.

Since you are working on the same kit -- did you have this issue ?

The right side rear suspension fits fine on the frame rail (since there is only one pin).  But on the left side, the pins in the suspension don't line up at all with the holes in the frame rail.  You can see in my picture that the pin is like 1/2 a hole off.

right_side.jpg

left_side.jpg

47 minutes ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Since you are working on the same kit -- did you have this issue ?

The right side rear suspension fits fine on the frame rail (since there is only one pin).  But on the left side, the pins in the suspension don't line up at all with the holes in the frame rail.  You can see in my picture that the pin is like 1/2 a hole off.

right_side.jpg

left_side.jpg

oh, that's odd. I had a similar issue. The suspension pins went in the holes just fine with me but the right rear leaf spring hanger wouldn't sit tight to the frame because the hole was too low, the rear most wheel would have been lower than the one in front of it, only by a couple of mm. I just cut the pin off and glued the hanger tight to the frame.

40 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

oh, that's odd. I had a similar issue. The suspension pins went in the holes just fine with me but the right rear leaf spring hanger wouldn't sit tight to the frame because the hole was too low, the rear most wheel would have been lower than the one in front of it, only by a couple of mm. I just cut the pin off and glued the hanger tight to the frame.

Thanks -- yeah...  typical AMT assembly process...  whack off the pins on parts that have them  😉

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all:

I've been away for a while due to my mother's passing.

I picked it up again this afternoon and have another question.  If you look at the photo, you can see the connection at the top of the water pump doesn't mate with the fitting for it on the piece labeled "water connections".  I'm guessing I need to file on the left side of the "water connections" piece so that it will tuck under the back of the front  cover and move that piece to the right  ??

waterpump.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally working on getting the frame glued.   Made a "frame jig" to make sure I get it square, flat, and true.  The frame always makes me nervous because I've had some where one rail "leads" the other and then I ended up with rear axles that "dog tracked" or the cab tilting and not landing square on the rear supports, etc.    I needed something to help me get 'em square and true.

IMG-2764.thumb.JPG.856612627e6a8130fe69075f9c401e6f.JPG

• 1 year later...

Well, a year later and this kit is back on the bench again -- originally parked in frustration with the rear suspension.

Working from the other end now.  Hopefully tomorrow I can drop the cab on to see how it looks.  I know the cab on these Astros look like they sit way too high, so I want to see before I get too far.

368506650_724902982395416_9020272415064762515_n.jpg

10 hours ago, Rockford said:

I usually envy you 1/25 guys but on this one I'll keep my snappers. 

I'm sure you'll make a great job of it. It does build into a great looking truck. 

I'd be interested in your thoughts/comments.  Send a private message if you think that would be more appropriate.

Thanks!

Hi fellas,

welcome to the Astro Club!

I had all the same problems with my Astro. Like Rockford said, the old AMT's Had a really bad fit. Still, we're sort of pros in modelling. 

Nothing can make us give up!

That frame jig ist really nice. I just use rubber bands, clothes pins and weights to be sure the frame turns out straight.

Maybe it's not much of help but the Pete 352 was even worse! 

Keep goin', doing a great job! 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 5:39 PM, Goodwrench3 said:

I'd be interested in your thoughts/comments.  Send a private message if you think that would be more appropriate.

Thanks!

I haven't built this kit for about 40 years! I'm sure you'll make an excellent job of it mate, you've got plenty of experience with AMT's ways. 

Well now the next chore.   Of course, the cab sits waaaaaaaaaaay too high on this kit.   Looks like it needs to be lowered about 1/8" or 3/16" to sit correctly.  Based on 1:1 photos, the bottom of that cab step should be about level with the top of the front tire.

image.png.a7d76db2a896a099e7dcd7ef38116c1e.png

image.png.9c6877e82fe840b9fe15fca58fba828d.png

• Like 3