Model Cars Magazine Forum

MGB Roadster

Bainford

Hi Trevor, I had this kit some time ago and sold it on, but mine was under the Revell banner at the time. It is a nice kit whoever used the moulds. I think that there is a very nice resin MGB GT trans kit available that I have seen but cannot remember who makes it.

6 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Hi Trevor, I had this kit some time ago and sold it on, but mine was under the Revell banner at the time. It is a nice kit whoever used the moulds. I think that there is a very nice resin MGB GT trans kit available that I have seen but cannot remember who makes it.

C1 Models makes the GT transkit, in both MGB and MGC flavours. I have one, and though not built yet, it is very well done. A few of them have been done on the forum, and always with rave reviews.

That looks very nice especially in the light blue. Thanks for your tip on doing piping. I have the Aoshima kit that I', hoping to do sometime this year, I'm certainly going to try your piping idea and may also steel your choice of color. What paint did you use or did you mix your own?

Thanks for the feed back about the trans kit by C1. As you have one,do they supply a different windscreen as I think that the open sports windscreen is a bit lower, but please correct me if I am wrong?

Also, what does the complete trans kit consist of? 

On 3/1/2022 at 7:42 PM, robertw said:

That looks very nice especially in the light blue. Thanks for your tip on doing piping. I have the Aoshima kit that I', hoping to do sometime this year, I'm certainly going to try your piping idea and may also steel your choice of color. What paint did you use or did you mix your own?

Cheers Robert. Thanks for the comments. Good luck with the piping. The paint is Humbrol enamel #47, not sure of the name. I thinned it with lacquer thinner, took weeks in the dehydrator to dry. After two weeks it still had a strong solvent smell, but felt dry so I commenced colour sanding anyway. On the boot lid I sanded through the dry skin to wet paint. Couldn’t believe it. Back in the dehydrator for another week. That cured it, and it polished up nicely. I think the initial colour sanding helps with the final out gassing. 

19 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Thanks for the feed back about the trans kit by C1. As you have one,do they supply a different windscreen as I think that the open sports windscreen is a bit lower, but please correct me if I am wrong?

Also, what does the complete trans kit consist of? 

A sheet of acetate and templates are provided for all glass. The inside of the window frames are nicely engineered to facilitate installation. The kit includes the rear portion of the interior with a hinged back seat, door cards, and a set of sport mirrors, and PE badges, including V8 badges and wheel centres. There are some options also, such as a C bonnet and a left drive dash, and a variety of wheels. There’s also a Sebring version available. A lot of work went into the kit, and it shows. Great guy to deal with, too. Highly recommended. 

Thanks for the further feed back Trevor. Appreciated.

I am surprised that Aoshima did not make an MGB GT option when the kit was released, but C1 appears to have filled a big gap with their trans kit. The body shell looked really good from memory when I came across a picture of it some time ago.

Gorgeous build Trevor, especially that interior! I love your piping technique, will have to give that a try. I wonder if you can do colors other than white by just running the edge of a colored marker or thin paint brush along the edge of the bonded piping and then touching-up any excess piping color with the seat color paint? Love your photography as well.

On 2/28/2022 at 9:34 PM, Bainford said:

Many thanks guys, for the very kind comments. It's very nice to get some positive feedback. Cheers

Noel, thanks for the kind words. This is the same tooling as used by Aoshima. I always thought it was an Airfix tool, used by Aoshima, probably because I knew of the Airfix kit first. I really don't know with whom the tooling originated.

Aoshima first released the kit  (New tool) in 1993, followed by three other versions. 1995 it was reissued by Revell AG, 2001 by Airfix. In 2018, Aoshima itself reissued it (3 versions).

6 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

Gorgeous build Trevor, especially that interior! I love your piping technique, will have to give that a try. I wonder if you can do colors other than white by just running the edge of a colored marker or thin paint brush along the edge of the bonded piping and then touching-up any excess piping color with the seat color paint? Love your photography as well.

Cheers John, I appreciate the good words. I have considered doing the coloured piping as you suggest, and I think it could work well, especially on black seats. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it's worth a shot. I have also thought about painting the seats in the piping colour using one type of paint (say, acrylic), then painting the seat in another type of paint (perhaps enamel), then using a small, pointed swab dampened with thinner to remove just the paint from the piping, to expose the colour underneath. The trick is finding a thinner that will cleanly remove one type of paint without effecting the other. Some experimentation is in order.

40 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Aoshima first released the kit  (New tool) in 1993, followed by three other versions. 1995 it was reissued by Revell AG, 2001 by Airfix. In 2018, Aoshima itself reissued it (3 versions).

Thanks for the timeline, Helmut. I had often been curious about the origins of this kit. Cheers.

47 minutes ago, Bainford said:

The trick is finding a thinner that will cleanly remove one type of paint without effecting the other.

Great idea! I would paint the seats in a lacquer or enamel base in the desired piping color, then spray the seat color in acrylic and once dry, remove the acrylic paint on the piping with a Q-tip or foam swab dampened with Windex.  Masking the painted seats with piping exposed and then dry-brushing the piping with colored enamel might be another possibility?