Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979/1978 Ford Thunderbird Replica.

StenTarvo

I want to build my 1978 Ford Thunderbird. I found a 1979 Ford Thunderbird Resin kit so I took the opportunity and bought it. I want to start but I want to have the same wheels on the model as my car (picture for reference) I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find wheels for them or if anyone has access to 3d models of them at least. Ive looked around and seen some others build models with these wheels so they have to exist somewhere. Scale is 1/25. Thanks in advance.

77897092_5921787934916_Original.jpg

Screenshot 2022-02-21 000626.png

Screenshot 2022-02-21 000810.png

Hi Sten,  where did you find your resin kit?

I'm asking because Paul Hettick (member of this forum) has produced a master of that car and is occasionally selling resin kits of it on eBay. It has the wheels you are looking for.  Here is a  thread describing him mastering the kit:

And first castings:

And the finished model. It is gorgeous!

The only "problem" is that the kit is in high demand on eBay. It infrequently comes up for auction, and when it does, it fetches between $200-$400.  But it is a really nice kit.  I wonder if Paul woudl sell you just the wheels and tires (both are superb castings)?

18 hours ago, peteski said:

Hi Sten,  where did you find your resin kit?

I'm asking because Paul Hettick (member of this forum) has produced a master of that car and is occasionally selling resin kits of it on eBay. It has the wheels you are looking for.  Here is a  thread describing him mastering the kit:

And first castings:

And the finished model. It is gorgeous!

The only "problem" is that the kit is in high demand on eBay. It infrequently comes up for auction, and when it does, it fetches between $200-$400.  But it is a really nice kit.  I wonder if Paul woudl sell you just the wheels and tires (both are superb castings)?

This one was a limited time run in January by Ice Man Collections for a 79 Thunderbird, unfortunately it did not come with wheels though.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:08 PM, StenTarvo said:

I want to build my 1978 Ford Thunderbird. I found a 1979 Ford Thunderbird Resin kit so I took the opportunity and bought it. I want to start but I want to have the same wheels on the model as my car (picture for reference) I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find wheels for them or if anyone has access to 3d models of them at least. Ive looked around and seen some others build models with these wheels so they have to exist somewhere. Scale is 1/25. Thanks in advance.

77897092_5921787934916_Original.jpg

Screenshot 2022-02-21 000626.png

Screenshot 2022-02-21 000810.png

I have a set of rims just like these from the Thunderbird I ordered from Paul Hettick. They're chromed and come with white wall tires. I have no use for them right now as I put keystones on mine to represent my real car. Drop me a PM about them. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 2:56 PM, Railroad said:

I have a set of rims just like these from the Thunderbird I ordered from Paul Hettick. They're chromed and come with white wall tires. I have no use for them right now as I put keystones on mine to represent my real car. Drop me a PM about them. 

Hey Randy I would love these wheels, I messaged you on Facebook.

Edited by StenTarvo
Problem solved

18 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

My Dad and Stepmom had a new Lipstick Red 77 with the 400 in it. My younger brother stole it and drove from Nebraska to Texas before getting caught by two crooked cops that said that they would let him go if he gave them the keys to the car.

What? What happened to the car?

On 2/26/2022 at 10:16 AM, StenTarvo said:

Also, I would like to know how I should go about color matching my model to the paint of my real car? My car is Russet Metallic with Chamois accents (pictured)

I got the factory paint code from the build plate and took that to an auto body repair shop and they mixed up the color for me. i had to buy a full tin, but it was the correct color.

On 2/25/2022 at 3:05 PM, StenTarvo said:

What? What happened to the car?

My Dad, Stepmom and me drove down to Texas in our 71 XKE to pick him and the car. My stepmom and me were flying North in the Jag and my Dad and brother were trying to keep up in the T-bird. My Dad got a speeding ticket and was MAD!

7 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

My Dad, Stepmom and me drove down to Texas in our 71 XKE to pick him and the car. My stepmom and me were flying North in the Jag and my Dad and brother were trying to keep up in the T-bird. My Dad got a speeding ticket and was MAD!

Reminds me of this song, that's awesome.