Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lifetime builds

Ive been building models for some 20+ years now. I still remember my first one...I think. A space shuttle that my grampa bought me helped me build. I still have a couple from about 15 years or so ago, once my camera batteries are charged back up Ill post my pics. But I got me thinking, that Id like to see some of all of your earlier builds, if you have em. Ill be posting soon, probably tomorrow night. Hope to see yours too.

Although a bulk of my older models were stolen during a military move, I am lucky enough to have this build still with me.

This build is important because it is what I built after discovering a scale auto magazine when I was 17. This was what vindicated my beloved hobby because "adults" were doing it. It wasn't kid stuff. And to such a degree of detail that I was inspired like never before. I still remember the picture that inspired the build. The magazine was largely black and white then, and the car was a 68-69 Chevelle that was built gasser style.

000_0128.jpg

000_0127.jpg

My first attempt at wiring. I used some random wire off my Dads work bench. I guess this is about 22+ years old now and I've proud of it to this day.

000_0129.jpg

Unfortunately, I gave away all of my really early, (pre-teen), builds when I was a young teenager. I restarted building again in my early 20s, but gave away or sold all of those builds as well. The earliest model that I still have is a Jag roadster that I built as a race car about 25 years ago. I did a fair amount of work in flairing the wheel openings and integrating the lower front spoiler into the body.

DSC04018-vi.jpg

For whatever reason, (that I no longer remember), I chose to put a turbocharged 289 SBF engine under the hood. This shot shows how big the front flairs really are and how the spoiler was blended into them.

DSC04021-vi.jpg

Later,

This was one of my favorite models, everything worked when building it...paint, decals, fit, etc.

Built straight out-a-da-box...even one 1st place in that catagory at a Gold Coast Model Contest many years ago :P

Tamiya Bosch Alfa Romeo 156

IMG_1591-vi.jpg

IMG_1592-vi.jpg

IMG_1593-vi.jpg

IMG_1595-vi.jpg

I sure wish Tamiya would reissue this kit...cuz I sold it on eBay and would like to build it again :P

thanx

At one point I sold all of my old builds on ebay. I also traded and sold a lot of them off to friends on the internet back in 2004. The oldest build I have that is (still intact) is an AMT '66 Fairlane I built in 2005 I think....maybe it was 2004. It was for a club build off, "Battle of the Fairlanes"....everyone built either a 427 or GT/GTA.

I held onto this build because it was a learning point. I started scratchbuilding with this model. The whole interior is almost all scratch other than obvious parts. roll cage is all aluminum. yes the huge distributor is my first using telephone wires. it has dipstick , brake lines and I can't remember what else.....this is also my first three tone paint job. (pin stripe is rattle can) Has a KEDTOYS resin hood.

1966FordFairlane4276-vi.jpg

dFairlaneficticiousdragcar91vi-vi.jpg

I have always been a car nut.

My first model that I built was a 63 AMT T-Bird 'vert. It was probably in the trash by the time Johnson was warming his chair in the oval office.

My oldest surviving build is a 72 (?) AMT Pontiac Ventura II. I don't know how this one managed to survive, other than the possibility that a feeling it wouldn't be re-issued. The body is unpainted except for Testors silver. The engine, chassis and interior were also brush painted. The sbc has then "state of the art" thread plug wires (my first try).post-2949-1231058171_thumb.jpg

Through many moves it has reverted back (almost) to kit form.

Well the oldest one that I still have is the Dodge van.

box053-vi.jpg

builtmodels09-01.jpg

I built it when it first come out.

Early 80s I think, took me all summer.

I was even slow back then.

Headliner fell down.

found out the hard way (3)that rolling wheels are not great ideas.

Had a big wing on the roof. I stopped putting it back on.

Gold base paint with burgundy top color.

This is another around that time.

early to mid 80s

builtmodels09-11.jpg

Molded in my own fender flares with Glazing puddy.

Suspension from the Dodge monster truck.

Takes forever to dry when on that thick.

Another 80s relic

builtmodels09-09.jpg

builtmodels09-22.jpg

Summer of 87-88

builtmodels09-26.jpg

DadsSuperBird6.jpg

They aren't in the best shape but still around.

Model of the Bird is at my folks house, built it for my dad who had one for long awhile.

I have quite a few of the builds that I did when I was a kid many moons ago. They all need to be rebuilt. I don't have any good pics of them but in my photobucket album under models to rebuild I do have some pics of them all together if you would like to take a look. B) Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

I found this pic of my build behind a pic in our family photo album. On the back it say's Tony's models 1974. I used o-rings for tires and marker for patterns. I was 9 at the time of this pic but I know I did some a few years earlier.

my58rag015.jpg

I know I started this thread and I havent even posted my pics yet. I promise tomorrow I will. I just found the charger for my camera batteries. It was a little more elusive than I thought it would be. I have to say though, that I have been really excited to see all of your early builds. This is where it all started and it is great to see everyone sharing.

Wow, this is a great thread. I'll have to take pics of some of mine and share with you guys. Keep those pics coming! It's kinda cool to watch the progression of work quality in some people's builds over the years. I know mine have certainly improved, then again, I don't know if that's saying much. :lol: Keep up the good work everyone.

Edited by fordh8r

Fianlly got my camera batteries charged, and got my pix onto the computer. These are the oldest 2 I still have. I built them about 15 or 16 years ago. And yes, I know, they need to be dusted.

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

Edited by slant6

Here are the oldest pics I have been able to find of my early builds. Judging from the building in the background this would have been the summer of '61 through the spring of '62 when I was 13 or 14. The dragster (which I now dimly recall had a black body) appears to be based on the old Revell chromed Dragmaster parts pack frame and the engine looks a lot like the blown Algon injected Pontiac that was recently included in the great Stevens International AMT Parts Pack set. But, perhaps it's a kit - you model historians would know... The platform on the truck I think was scratch built using sprue and card stock (?). I vaguely remember the truck which I brush painted in chocolate brown enamel and rubbed out with automotive rubbing compound and then waxed. You can just make out a motorcycle with a GP fairing in the bed of the truck. I absolutely do not remember building the bike at all, but I must have since my modeling buddies all built planes. Did the bike come with the truck? Did the platform, too?

Models-Old-Dragster-1-web.jpg

Models-Old-Dragster-2-web.jpg

Models-Old-Dragster-3-web.jpg

Last year ('08) I posted the sole surviving model from my youth, another digger, this one probably from '62-'63. There used to be a wing on the front but it's long gone. For more details and pics here's a link: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...'s+Dragster

IMG_0125copy.jpg