Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Gasser Front End

Could somebody possibly help me make a straight axle with the leaf springs for a gasser? I just recently bought a 57 Chevy and really want to make it a gasser. I've never done any scratch building before. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Randy Bo Bandy
Mispelling

21 hours ago, Randy Bo Bandy said:

Could somebody possibly help me make a straight axle with the leaf springs for a gasser? I just recently bought a 57 Chevy and really want to make it a gasser. I've never done any scratch building before. Any help would be appreciated.

I would suggest you look at 1:1 reference pictures online, then break each part down into smaller assemblies as needed. A straight tube axle can be made out of styrene (Evergreen is the most popular brand) or brass (K&S brand or similar) in the appropriate diameter, but you'll need to use either kit parts for the spindles and steering linkage, or scratchbuild those, too. 

For the leaf springs, I would suggest using pre-formed brass strips to create both parallel leaf springs and the leaf spring brackets and shackles. These aren't terribly complex, so making each leaf separately, then joining them together, either with miniature bolts, or a length of rod/tube works just fine. Accurate and consistent measuring and cutting is important, so make sure you have a sharp razor saw and files, as well as a good miter box.

Are you going to use a tube style frame for the front end or try to work with the stock frame? Forums such as the H.A.M.B. and others are great reference for this type of thing, and will give you some ideas regarding how you want to proceed with individual parts, wheels and tires, ride height, etc.

Here are some brass leaf springs I built for a truck project, but the same techniques would apply to any similar parallel leaf spring application:

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I would suggest you look at 1:1 reference pictures online, then break each part down into smaller assemblies as needed. A straight tube axle can be made out of styrene (Evergreen is the most popular brand) or brass (K&S brand or similar) in the appropriate diameter, but you'll need to use either kit parts for the spindles and steering linkage, or scratchbuild those, too. 

For the leaf springs, I would suggest using pre-formed brass strips to create both parallel leaf springs and the leaf spring brackets and shackles. These aren't terribly complex, so making each leaf separately, then joining them together, either with miniature bolts, or a length of rod/tube works just fine. Accurate and consistent measuring and cutting is important, so make sure you have a sharp razor saw and files, as well as a good miter box.

Are you going to use a tube style frame for the front end or try to work with the stock frame? Forums such as the H.A.M.B. and others are great reference for this type of thing, and will give you some ideas regarding how you want to proceed with individual parts, wheels and tires, ride height, etc.

Here are some brass leaf springs I built for a truck project, but the same techniques would apply to any similar parallel leaf spring application:

Like Casey said, your greatest tool is research! Fortunately,  that's easy, nowadays!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I wanted to use the stock frame for this build. And also use as many of the stock parts as possible. Thank you for the info. I'd like to get the build done for a show next year so I'm not in a huge hurry. 

Edited by Randy Bo Bandy
Mispelling

5 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

The best part about it, is that a straight front axle is a very nice place to start with scratchbuilding. It's a pretty straightforward project.

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard. Like you said, research. At least I'm not going over my head on the scratchbuilding. Only other thing I'll have to do is cut the rear fender a little. I'm sure I can manage that pretty good after I mock up the rear end and see how much I'll have to cut

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 8:08 PM, Randy Bo Bandy said:

Could somebody possibly help me make a straight axle with the leaf springs for a gasser? 

5 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

@Ace-Garageguy, seems like I've seen you do something like this before?

Starting on page 3 of the thread below, you can see the steps involved.

• Like 2