Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stalled Chevy...

aurfalien

Hello,

So I'm fairly burnt on the following project and have shelved it for now.

It's a Chevy of which I bought off eBay but came with a warped body.  So I bought a Flintstone chop top and realized that it was too chopped and squared for my liking.  I spent oodles and oodles of time making it bigger and more rounded.  The body may not look like much but it represents too much off of my life.

The interior door panels having a diamond pattern were made a bit over sized so that when I slide the body over the chassis, they fill any gaps and create a rather nice snug fit.  Again it may not look like much but it took me oodles and oodles of time.

Unsure which power plant to outfit it with as the stock inline 6 looks rather boring but I can always dress it up.  If you all could suggest a fitting power plant, then that would help me.

The rear tires have been widened (a bit too much I now realize) and the stance took a lot of tweaking in looking right to my eyes.  Man I took a lot of time on the suspension although most of you are yawning about now.

The steering works however it's so slammed that I may open the front fenders a bit so that the tires don't rub and can move.

I'm also unsure how to have a functional opening hood as it needs to open up and forward to clear the window.  So if any body has some ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

I'm thinking that the paint will be some sort of metallic maroon etc...  and touch off with a white diamond pattern upholstery should like cool I hope.

I will reduce some chrome but still have it present.

IMG_5773.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

IMG_5776.JPG

IMG_5777.JPG

IMG_5778.JPG

IMG_5779.JPG

IMG_5780.JPG

27 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Reminds me of one of Harry Bradley's personal cars.

1951 Chevrolet "La Jolla" Custom Coupe (Harry Bradley ...

I'd vote for a hot-rodded six, or old-school smallblock Chebby power.

And I think a burgundy / maroon would be perfect.

Nice idea for the headliner too. Looks great.   :D

Why thank you Monsignor Ace.  It's my understanding and I think that an inline 6 is very smooth and would be fitting of this cool customer.

So a 6 it will be.

The head liner which is also on parts of the seats and door panels is off of a model railroad site.  One site looks like grates but the other looks like it's tufted/quilted.

Depends on what you're after, I suppose.  I kind of like the primer look and as-is it has an interesting patina.  If you went with primer and finished your assembly it would look like a project car and would reflect your burnout with the project, but still be really cool.  Hot-rodded six would be cool.

3 hours ago, Kromolly said:

Depends on what you're after, I suppose.  I kind of like the primer look and as-is it has an interesting patina.  If you went with primer and finished your assembly it would look like a project car and would reflect your burnout with the project, but still be really cool.  Hot-rodded six would be cool.

Thanks Roy.  The primer does look cool now that you mention it.  It's Krylon ColorMaxx Matte Deep Grey primer + paint.

I'm fixing my inline 6 as we speak :)

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I would go with a six cylinder. You don't see them under the hood very often. I am a little biased though.

20190801_140645-1

Ah good point and thanks Roger.

Yep looks like it's inline 6 then :)

Edited by aurfalien