Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shipping models

I have never shipped anything that delicate so this is just a guess. I would say wrap it loosely with some bubble wrap. Put that inside a medium sized box. Use packing peanuts or something to take up any space so it can’t rattle around. Then put that box inside a bigger box with peanuts to fill the voids. Mark it “FRAGILE” and hope for the best. I have no idea what shipping company would be safest. Good Luck!😬

Edited by NOBLNG

5 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I have never shipped anything that delicate so this is just a guess. I would say wrap it loosely with some bubble wrap. Put that inside a medium sized box. Use packing peanuts or something to take up any space so it can’t rattle around. Then put that box inside a bigger box with peanuts to fill the voids. Mark it “FRAGILE” and hope for the best. I have no idea what shipping company would be safest. Good Luck!😬

NEVER mark anything FRAGILE..i ship a lot of truck kits and sell high dollar replica's of oil field trucks i have built. I heard that they are to much football playing going on in the back of the collection centers. and have seem a lot of box that my members on my Facebook truck group got that looked like they were in a super bowl..so NEVER mark anything FRAGILE..

17 hours ago, wlhowell24 said:

I have 2 model trucks I built for my brother that I need to ship to him. How should I pack them to avoid damage during shipment? Who's the best shipping company. Thanks.

Willie, i been shipping built model's for years. first thing you do is loosely wrap the model good with bathroom tissue, then put it in side a small trash bag and seal up. in case something falls off it will be in the bag..and its always possible that something will. next wrap good with bubble wrap. at least 2 inches thick. tape well..  the main thing now make sure your box is big enough for the truck. ( u gonna need 3 inches of packing peanuts around the model after its wrapped with bubble wrap)  a UPS store will sell u everything u need or some other store that sells boxes and packing material...add about 3 inches of packing peanuts on the bottom then put model in box (does not matter if its standing up or laying down) once model in in box add more packing peanuts making sure they are all around the model good and over the top at least 3 inches..once u close the box if you have to use a little force then the box is packed well. if its loose add more packing peanuts till u get a tight fit where u have to push the lid down and hold it to tape. dont worry you not gonna hurt the model if you wrapped it like i told u to...u said u had 2 trucks, ship them in separated box. now to ship dont go to the Post Office as the box will be to big and heavy and cost u a leg and arm to ship..UPS is where i ship large box. but u can ck everything on line..hope this helps..i have never had any problems shipping this way..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 4mula1fan said:

I'm about to ship a Wright Cyclone radial engine model from KY to the coast in AL. I've been collecting bubble wrap and peanuts for the job. I'm confidently nervous. Lol

follow my instructions and it will arrive in great shape..

9 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

If you could get a hold of Paul Hettick, he might share his shipping tips. He creates and sells models on eBay that sell for four figures, so probably a lot of experience shipping very expensive items.

Erik everything i build and sell is expensive also so if they follow my packing instructions above it will arrive in great shape..

My Customised 50th Anniversary of IPMS Austin A30 Van Model that appeared in a copy of MCM some time ago was shipped from the UK to the Model Car Builders Museum in Sandy Utah where it is now on display.

I found a thick cardboard box with plenty of all around clearance for the model that was mounted on a base. Kitchen roll tissue went directly around the model plus bubble wrap. What I did to ensure the box strength was to line the sides and bottom with mdf or thin plywood, pack the model in the box with whatever was suitable. More bubble wrap, scrunched up newspaper, and expanded polystyrene nuggets etc. This made the model immovable in the middle of all the packaging used. A final packaging material layer was placed on top of the model and another sheet of MDF or thin plywood cut to fit snugly under box lid when closed and sealed.

Yes, the MDF and Plywood adds expense to the package both in cost of material and adds to the carriage weight, but it makes a very tough inner layer to the cardboard box that is very resistant to shipping damage. Ideal for bigger models.

On smaller stuff like a 1/24th scale car model for example the same principle can be applied when packing a smaller cardboard box but thick cardboard could be used to make an inner box liner instead of ply or MDF for extra protection.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 5:11 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

My Customised 50th Anniversary of IPMS Austin A30 Van Model that appeared in a copy of MCM some time ago was shipped from the UK to the Model Car Builders Museum in Sandy Utah where it is now on display.

I found a thick cardboard box with plenty of all around clearance for the model that was mounted on a base. Kitchen roll tissue went directly around the model plus bubble wrap. What I did to ensure the box strength was to line the sides and bottom with mdf or thin plywood, pack the model in the box with whatever was suitable. More bubble wrap, scrunched up newspaper, and expanded polystyrene nuggets etc. This made the model immovable in the middle of all the packaging used. A final packaging material layer was placed on top of the model and another sheet of MDF or thin plywood cut to fit snugly under box lid when closed and sealed.

Yes, the MDF and Plywood adds expense to the package both in cost of material and adds to the carriage weight, but it makes a very tough inner layer to the cardboard box that is very resistant to shipping damage. Ideal for bigger models.

On smaller stuff like a 1/24th scale car model for example the same principle can be applied when packing a smaller cardboard box but thick cardboard could be used to make an inner box liner instead of ply or MDF for extra protection.

i see your point shipping all the way from the UK to the US using the plywood, but shipping here in the states that's just a big extra cost on the Big Rigs i ship..the way i ship i have never had any issues..but anyone shipping across the pond the plywood would be extra protection.. 

A long time ago I had the opportunity to visit the late Jim Etter of AIM models. In my tour of his 'factory' I asked him how he shipped his finished models. He told me he builds up boxes   and ends up with a palated crate that he ships by truck. I have experimented and let a packaged model roll down the steps as a test, Even had the customer arrange for hand carried delivery. Don't know how that would fly with TSA now a days.

greg

Dave, it's horses for courses as far as wrapping models for shipping goes, and as long as whatever method works it is OK whichever is used.

As I generally make just for myself the extra cost involved with reinforcing the packaging to ship one model to a museum was acceptable.

I can fully understand that if you ship large models on a regular basis then keeping the cost to a minimum is very important. It appears as though you might be running a business making and selling models so shipping costs have to be factored in to your pricing. If it works for you, fine!

Edited by Bugatti Fan