Model Cars Magazine Forum

Texas 3D Customs

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Do you think you'll get back to the Nailhead with the SCoT style blower?

I will but it's a complicated print and also a large engine, couple that to the fact that the Nailhead doesn't sell makes it hard for me to want to invest time in it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I will but it's a complicated print and also a large engine, couple that to the fact that the Nailhead doesn't sell makes it hard for me to want to invest time in it.

That's understandable. But a little food for thought. Your stock Nailhead looks very nice, and is probably more accurate than the ones available in kits since I know your penchant for accuracy. But there are decent stock Nailheads out there in kit form. But not a highly detailed and accurate blown Nailhead that I know of. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

That's understandable. But a little food for thought. Your stock Nailhead looks very nice, and is probably more accurate than the ones available in kits since I know your penchant for accuracy. But there are decent stock Nailheads out there in kit form. But not a highly detailed and accurate blown Nailhead that I know of. 

And everyone asked me for a while for a Nailhead and did they buy one? No, people also have told me they wanted a Rotary engine and said they would need 2 or more, haven't sold one yet. I probably will release it soon but right now I am working on other things as I have a list of things I have printed but not listed yet, much less something I haven't test printed.

55 minutes ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

And everyone asked me for a while for a Nailhead and did they buy one? No, people also have told me they wanted a Rotary engine and said they would need 2 or more, haven't sold one yet. I probably will release it soon but right now I am working on other things as I have a list of things I have printed but not listed yet, much less something I haven't test printed.

I'm not sure what blowers were available with the Nailhead and I do think that your stock Nailhead is really well done...but I think that most demand for Nailheads are probably for hot rods not building stock Buicks. Just my 2 pennies.

51 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

I'm not sure what blowers were available with the Nailhead and I do think that your stock Nailhead is really well done...but I think that most demand for Nailheads are probably for hot rods not building stock Buicks. Just my 2 pennies.

I understand what you're saying but things like my Turbo thrift straight 6 which I'm about to make like hot rod versions they sell in stock form and that's kind of where I usually start judging if an engine is going to do well or not Like the LS started with the stock version sold really well even though it's available in many kits and I've expanded upon it. Usually I do the stock forms as a testing ground Slant six same thing The stock version sells well the modified version sell well too and I wouldn't even say that the modified version sell better if you add all of them together sure they outdo the stock version but the stock compared to any one of the modified versions does just as well. If a modify nailhead which like I said I'm probably going to do anyways but it's not going to be a high priority item

1 hour ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I understand what you're saying but things like my Turbo thrift straight 6 which I'm about to make like hot rod versions they sell in stock form and that's kind of where I usually start judging if an engine is going to do well or not Like the LS started with the stock version sold really well even though it's available in many kits and I've expanded upon it. Usually I do the stock forms as a testing ground Slant six same thing The stock version sells well the modified version sell well too and I wouldn't even say that the modified version sell better if you add all of them together sure they outdo the stock version but the stock compared to any one of the modified versions does just as well. If a modify nailhead which like I said I'm probably going to do anyways but it's not going to be a high priority item

I can definitely understand your method in understanding if an engine kit will do well or not, on the other hand, I honestly think that there is more of an interest in modified Nailheads than in stock. The LS engine as well as the slant 6 have quite a lot of possibilities in dropping them in. Though I suppose you could drop a stock Nailhead in, there aren't many good early Buick kits and it's not something I'd drop in an early Chevy... but they were popular with early hot rods and drag cars, not as popular as a sbc but definitely used. Just like the early Caddy engines but cheaper. 

Again, you need to focus on what is going to be profitable and I hope your focusing on Texas 3D Customs is working out for you as a livelihood... 

3 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

These are the things that have to be considered with a business.  Resources whether it be  money or time are limited. You have to do what you believe what is the best choice with those in consideration.

Unfortunately when the question is asked about any product there are those who  show interest but never follow through. I wonder how many who say they will buy one or say they will buy multiples follow through and actually do that. 

6 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

These are the things that have to be considered with a business.  Resources whether it be  money or time are limited. You have to do what you believe what is the best choice with those in consideration.

Unfortunately when the question is asked about any product there are those who  show interest but never follow through. I wonder how many who say they will buy one or say they will buy multiples follow through and actually do that. 

I 100% have experience this many times but releasing a base engine while there's a lot of time that goes into it you may not strike oil on all of them but when you do get one and it shines in stock form it's hard to ignore that and to know if you made it and you know modified form it's going to do well which is kind of what I'm have experienced I know there are exceptions to those rules but it tends to hold relatively true now I'm not saying that I'm not going to make the nail head with the blower I mean I've already pretty much made it but it's not going to be the highest priority and I think that's somewhat understandable but like the turbo thrift but it jumped to my number two product on eBay kind of it only has one form the stock version but it's still outsold quantity-wise everything else when you look at one individual variant The 572 if you add all the different variations together is still king

Dropped the Stock Nailhead and is no longer available, but adding this instead. If this does well I will do other variations like Webbers and other non stock setups. The reason the stock has to go is its pretty much a completely different engine all together with only the oil pan manifolds and belts being shared. With that many differences I don't find it wise to stock an engine that doesn't sell. The prints are done and I will list it tomorrow probably.1972975409_BuickNailhead.png.1087a849dde0539d2736a746c0d3fc9f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

Dropped the Stock Nailhead and is no longer available, but adding this instead. If this does well I will do other variations like Webbers and other non stock setups. The reason the stock has to go is its pretty much a completely different engine all together with only the oil pan manifolds and belts being shared. With that many differences I don't find it wise to stock an engine that doesn't sell. The prints are done and I will list it tomorrow probably.1972975409_BuickNailhead.png.1087a849dde0539d2736a746c0d3fc9f.png

I will probably get a couple of those.

Now, just a question or perhaps a suggestion, not sure which one is it... But can these be designed to be user friendly for street rod applications. What I mean is that there is no way that alternator will fit in a '29-'32 ford with side hoods and some of your engines' exhaust systems make the engine mounts in those kits useless. Me personally, I have no problem with it, but making the parts application easier to more people would ultimately result in more sales. And in my eyes more sales equals growth, which in turn equals more cool parts to come. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrm said:

I will probably get a couple of those.

Now, just a question or perhaps a suggestion, not sure which one is it... But can these be designed to be user friendly for street rod applications. What I mean is that there is no way that alternator will fit in a '29-'32 ford with side hoods and some of your engines' exhaust systems make the engine mounts in those kits useless. Me personally, I have no problem with it, but making the parts application easier to more people would ultimately result in more sales. And in my eyes more sales equals growth, which in turn equals more cool parts to come. 

So here's how things work I make it this way with the belts and the alternator is where it goes on that engine and that's not going to work in 100% of the applications that I make an engine like my LS which has no belts and you can pick and choose which ones and then complete will complain that there's no belts I'm not making 30 different versions of where the alternator can go it doesn't make sense I'm not making two because then I have to either ship double the parts or I have to sell double the different variations just because we want to put an alternator here there I mean there's only so much I can do sure I could make a hundred different combinations but I already offer more combinations and just about anybody else I mean most of the time when you buy an aftermarket engine you get the transmission that they say goes with that engine you don't get say nine different GM transmissions two different coyote transmissions that are accurate I think I've got four different BOP transmissions I've got multiple variations of intakes on several engines and there's only so many things you can make you start making upgrade parts where relocate this relocate that pay extra money and people aren't going to be happy with that either not only that but again I can only do so much growth is not an issue at this point. As far as exhaust systems and making mount useless you're going to have to get creative if the motor doesn't just slot right in but pretty much all those exhaust systems are based on real assistance so they can work in one shape fashion or form but I can't make an exhaust system for every kit or even multiple kits for that matter.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:36 PM, Texas_3D_Customs said:

So I finally finished up the Jackman wheels to go along with my Baja Bug kit, I also have the centerlines modeled up and will test print them when I have time but probably tonight or tomorrow. They can be found on my site at Texas 3D Customs Off Road Tires and Wheels

20230313_184854.jpg

Jackman.jpg

Did you get to the centerline wheels, or am I missing them on your site?

• 2 weeks later...